MM Code A13 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default MM Code A13

HEy everyone,
My MM indicatior just came on with a code of A13 and according to my manual its time for an oil change, tire rotation and transmission and transfer case fluid changes. I'm somewhat confused by the transfer case piece. I thought Pilots had their transfer case as part of the transmission and therefore the ATF fluid lubricated the transfer case - am I missing something? Thanks!
Pilotman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Later ones have a separate transfer case that takes gear oil. Do a search- there's a howto somewhere.
'03 VW Passat Wagon GLX V6, Blue Anthracite
'73 VW Fastback, Marina Blue
'94 John Deere LX176
ctobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: MM Code A13

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilotman76
HEy everyone,
My MM indicatior just came on with a code of A13 and according to my manual its time for an oil change, tire rotation and transmission and transfer case fluid changes. I'm somewhat confused by the transfer case piece. I thought Pilots had their transfer case as part of the transmission and therefore the ATF fluid lubricated the transfer case - am I missing something? Thanks!
At some point, maybe '05, they changed the transfer case to use its own gear lubricant. The spec is 80W-90 or SAE 90 hypoid gear oil. Are you going to do this fluid change yourself?
jarizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: MM Code A13

Quote:
Originally posted by jarizzo

At some point, maybe '05, they changed the transfer case to use its own gear lubricant. The spec is 80W-90 or SAE 90 hypoid gear oil. Are you going to do this fluid change yourself?
Thanks for the info guys; yes I'm going to be doing the fluid changes myself. I'm a decent wrench just was confused on the transfer case deal. Mine being an 06 probably mans I have the separate case. 80W90 makes sense.
Pilotman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: Re: MM Code A13

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilotman76

Thanks for the info guys; yes I'm going to be doing the fluid changes myself. I'm a decent wrench just was confused on the transfer case deal. Mine being an 06 probably mans I have the separate case. 80W90 makes sense.
I have a 06 EX-L and I have the separate transfer case, so you will need a quart of 80W-90. Not being an expert on lubricating oils, I don't know if all 80W-90's are hypoid gear oils or if this is an additional specification you need to find, but the Honda site explicitly states hypoid gear oil. Being the mild paranoid type I am who gets a thrill from using expensive fluids, I used a synthetic 75W-90. Others on this forum have also used 75W-90's with no issues that I've seen or heard of so far.

Hope that helps. This can be a messy job. Have a fresh batch of shop towels at the ready. It's amazing how far oil can splash and how big a puddle just a half quart of gear oil makes. :-) It's an easy job though. Only takes from 1 to 4 beers depending on how many knuckles get busted in the process. Those plugs can be rather disagreeable buggers to bust loose.

Cheers!
John
Old 08-13-2008, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: MM Code A13

Quote:
Originally posted by jarizzo

but the Honda site explicitly states hypoid gear oil.
John, what "site" are you refering to?

Being that I have the same A13 MM right now I am perplexed at the lack of information in the OM to me the owner with regards to the transfer case, more specifically, the recomended fluid. Without HP.org I would not have any information to go on, I trust the opinions I get from here I just wonder, what I would have had to do without the internet.

RANT OFF!

Thanks guys.
Royal Purple 5w-20
AVS Bug Guard
USA Spec iPod Interface
Frontier 4up Bike Rack!
Husky Cargo Liner and Front Mats
Westin 22-0055 Black Nerf Bars
H9 Headlight Conversion
Full Size Spare
RockStarr Hammers, 20"
Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45R20
pat2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MM Code A13

Quote:
Originally posted by pat2k8

Being that I have the same A13 MM right now I am perplexed at the lack of information in the OM to me the owner with regards to the transfer case, more specifically, the recomended fluid.
That's because you're supposed to have your dealership do it for you and not worry your pretty little head.

I'm shocked that the Pilot owners manual explains how to do an engine oil change, and what part numbers are used for all the lights.

The owners manual for my Passat just says "have your dealership fix everything for you" and gives you the basic specs for what oil you should use. That's it.

We're coming close to the days where the hood is locked, and you need a special socket made of unobtanium to remove the bolts that hold the hood down. Just like the fairly recent Volvo concept car a few years back.
'03 VW Passat Wagon GLX V6, Blue Anthracite
'73 VW Fastback, Marina Blue
'94 John Deere LX176
ctobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MM Code A13

Quote:
Originally posted by pat2k8
John, what "site" are you refering to?
I might have mistyped that. Looking now, I don't see it on a Honda site at all. I got a year membership for the Pilot on AlldataDIY, and I think I read the spec there. Most of that information comes from the service manual for the Pilot, so I believe that is the source of the information.

The service manual is about $80, so if you're doing your own work on it, that might be a worthwhile investment. It's $78 at www.handa-accessories.com.

Cheers!
John
Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks to both of you, I will look at getting a service manual. I drive my Pilot alot and have put 70 000 kms in a year and a half. I like to think I am getting the most out of my vehicle and do not want to sacrafice maintenance in the process. The stealership service would not allow me to own a new vehicle if that was my only choice!!

Just thinking, from a DIY perpective, I am a HUGE fan of the internet and the knowledge gained from forums like this and I would think that it comes as a huge bonus to the manufacturers to keep tabs on them. It is more than likley that problem AND fixes pop up on here that they never imagined!!

The day the lock the hood I will make my own car, a la Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! LOL!
Royal Purple 5w-20
AVS Bug Guard
USA Spec iPod Interface
Frontier 4up Bike Rack!
Husky Cargo Liner and Front Mats
Westin 22-0055 Black Nerf Bars
H9 Headlight Conversion
Full Size Spare
RockStarr Hammers, 20"
Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45R20
pat2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links