Synthetic Oil on First Oil Change - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Synthetic Oil on First Oil Change

After 8 months and 5000 mil, I am about to do an oil change for the first time for my 07 Pilot. Is it any good or bad to use synthetic now?
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

IMO, it's good, but we'll let N_Jay interject with his opinion as well.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Medic721 Send a message via AIM to Medic721 Send a message via Yahoo to Medic721

Some say it is not necessary, I have been using Mobil 1 since my first oil change with my pilot. other cars I have never used synthetic and never had a problem with as well.

But then again I also purchased an extended warranty for my pilot even though I plan on never having to use it. I just like the extra protection even if it is only in my head.......

-mike.
2006 EX-L Nav, Billet Silver, Honda Hitch, ATF Cooler, PS Cooler, Honda Towing Harness, Honda Rear Mud Flaps, Catch-All 5 Piece Set, Rear Sub-Frame Kit, Honda Cross Bars, Spare Cup Holder, Factory Service Manuals, ScanGauge II, Softride Pull Pin Bike Rack, Poorman mp3 input, G-Net Navi Video adapter, AirLift 1000 kit.
Medic721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

do a search and you'll find that this is a big topic of debate here on hp.org. some always use conventional, some always use synthetic, some always use blends, and some in between. i'm pretty sure it makes no significant difference which type you use, but to answer your question, i would say its perfectly safe to use synthetic for your first change.

OEM accessories: chrome side steps, crossbars, cargo tray, cargo cover, wheel locks, rear splash guards, door edge guards, full-size spare

Aftermarket accessories: Yakima Big Powderhound, LED license plate and door bulbs, Infinity 6012i speakers, 4300k HID, 35% tint, Nokya yellow fogs + yellow Lamin-X
rlapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rlapid
do a search and you'll find that this is a big topic of debate here on hp.org. some always use conventional, some always use synthetic, some always use blends, and some in between. i'm pretty sure it makes no significant difference which type you use, but to answer your question, i would say its perfectly safe to use synthetic for your first change.
Well put.

All evidence is it makes no difference if you start synthetics at the first change, the 5th change, the 10th change, the 50th change or never.

No one here has reported an oil related failure of a normally maintained Honda engine.

So there is absolutely no evidence that using synthetic does anything positive other than spend money!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

With that few miles, you are probably on the severe oil change schedule, ie changes at 3750.

In your instance, I would say you would do fine with dino oil.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would say that's entirely up to you. I chose to put MObil 1 in at first oil change and have been doing it ever since.
Dino oil will work just fine but if you can get synthetic at a good price (Walmart), than why not?!
bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bigpav7
Dino oil will work just fine but if you can get synthetic at a good price (Walmart), than why not?!
Why?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by N_Jay

Why?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you questioning whether Synthetic oil is better than Dino?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by N_Jay

Why?
Never mind, just read your previous post. I care to disagree and strongly believe that using synthetic is better than dino oil in the long run. But like I said, that's my personal opinion.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bigpav7

Never mind, just read your previous post. I care to disagree and strongly believe that using synthetic is better than dino oil in the long run. But like I said, that's my personal opinion.
I agree.

I just am very sure that the line between the short-run and the long-run is well beyond the length of time most people keep a car (and probably well beyond the time a car is typically in service regardless of ownership).

Remember, Better may or may not be "better", but good enough, is "GOOD ENOUGH"!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

How long can Mobil 1 sit in the engine given I do not drive much?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by batrachian
How long can Mobil 1 sit in the engine given I do not drive much?
According to the owners manual, 1 year the same as any other oil.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'll tell you why I like synthetic oil. Cold flow characteristics, primarily.

My Toyota T100 has a 3.4 L V6. Toyota engines like to rev up when first started. The colder the ambient temps, the higher the revs.

This is supposedly due to Toyota's method of complying with emissions/lean-burn requirements or somesuch. The quicker the engine warms up, the fewer emissions it puts out... or so I understand. Honda engines don't appear to do this to the extreme that Toyota engines do, in my experience.

IAC, I found that the mechanical noise from my Toyota engine was much quieter on those cold starts when I used synthetic oil vs dino oil. And I've read that the synthetics have much better cold flow characteristics than comparable dino oils.

Overkill? Maybe.

Will it make a difference if you keep the vehicle until the wheels fall off? Maybe. Maybe not. I think it will and go to the extra expense of using syn oils. At our annual mileage of 12-14k, that's 2 to 3 changes a year and the syn oil costs me less than $15 more than dino oil per change. Oil change intervals are 5000 miles in our mostly city driving usage.

YMMV.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

The cold flow properties are the main reason I usually hear people wanting to use synthetics. At the same cold starting temperature, say 75 degrees Fahrenheit, conventional oils may have a viscosity (thickness) of 100 and synthetics may be closer to 50. If engines are designed for oil with a viscosity of 10, then at startup time, synthetic oils are closer to the engine's design specification and may actually flow and lubricate better at startup time than conventional oils. Since most wear occurs at startup, synthetics theoretically should reduce that wear to some degree. How much wear is reduced and whether it really amounts to anything noticeable over the lifetime of the vehicle is anybody's guess.

The tangible benefits are things like better cranking speed (and presumably startability) at very low temperatures and if the engine cranks better and the engine is lubricated better at low temperatures, there may be some small mileage increase as a result since the starter wouldn't have to draw as much current that the alternator would have to replace. There could be reduced friction before full temperature is reached since the oil's viscosity would be closer to the design spec sooner after starting than with conventional oil. Another tangible benefit is that synthetics seem to have a longer useful lifetime than conventional oils. If getting the oil changed is a hassle, you should need less frequent changes with synthetic motor oil than with conventional, but I would still follow the maintenance minder during the warranty period and only stretch out the interval after the warranty has expired. Fewer oil changes over the lifetime of the vehicle may mean you've put less toxic stuff in the environment overall, and it could save money on oil changes, but the high price of synthetics probably offsets any cost savings in most scenarios.

Notice please the use of the words "could," "may," "might," "possibly," "maybe," and "theoretically." Your mileage WILL vary. I certainly don't have all the facts and I'm not a tribologist. Any ideas here are derived from what I've gleaned from other seemingly respectable sources and I certainly am not presenting any of this as fact. Draw your own conclusions. I'm just pointing out my own reasoning that is likely flawed and fails to take into account all factors. I won't make any definitive statements because motor oil seems to be like religion. The debates and arguments can go on and on ad nauseum, and the end result is people just do whatever they believe or think is best. See the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com if you want a good example of people who have way too much time to talk about motor oil. I won't suggest you do anything differently, but hope you might have something else to consider when you make your decision. I reserve the right to edit this post if I find a mistake or learn something new.

Good luck. Your car will probably be fine whatever oil you use as long as you follow the recommendations and specifications in the manual.

Happy lubricating!

John
jarizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: