Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Easier Diy Cabin Air Filter Replacement

231K views 223 replies 130 participants last post by  WonderDingo 
#1 ·
Empty out your glove box and locate the clips on the inside left and right side of the glove box (GB).
Tools
8mm socket 1/4 drive
Rachet 1/4 drive
Phillips Screwdriver
Small hacksaw
(DISCLAIMER): Please keep in mind that these procedures are what worked for me and my situation. I merely wanted to create a shorter, easier version of this DIY job. Your situation may be different so I cannot take responsibility for your results.

See less See more
#4 ·
The grey plastic mold needs to be removed. The dealerships cuts this off too, so don't be alarmed or afraid to cut this off. It has to be removed in order to get the Cabin Air Filter out. Cut on the right side and left side.

#84 ·
Followed the instructions for my 2008 EX-L Pilot.

My vehicle required the 8mm socket for this step.

Once you have removed the phillips head bolt and the 8mm bolt from the left side, do the same to the right side allowing you to move the metal brace down on the left side.
It took me a long time to figure out how to dislodge and rotate the metal brace. For my vehicle there are tabs on the metal brace that prevent the brace from rotating vertically. I had to pull the brace towards the interior of the cabin to get the tabs to clear their mounts, and only then was I able to rotate the brace down as shown in the picture.

#15 ·
Insert the new Cabin Air Filter. Pay attention to the way the AIR FLOWS. This is a Bosch Air Filter that shows the air flow direction and the air box also shows the air flow direction. This Bosch filter cost $19.99 from Schucks. (No tax (Alaska Residents), Military Discount). It is a nice filter.

#107 ·
thanks for this write-up. Did my Air and Cabin filter yesterday in about an hour.

2 things I messed up:

1st, my friend only had a dremel handy. too pwerful. it melted the edges of the plastic cut-out piece. have to take care of that another day.

2nd, as noted in the above pic, I didn't realize the filter housing had directions on it to show the "air flow" direction. Just realized NOW that I inserted the filter incorrectly. need to check on it tonight.

hope that doesn't do any damage :-(

#16 ·
Now install the Air Box Door, then put the metal brace back in place and install its hardware, then reinstall the GB lower left phillips screwdriver (underneath the left side of the GB), reinstall the two clips, and finally put all the junk back in the GB and your family will be ready to ride in the Pilot with clean air flowing inside.

These are the procedure I took so I didn't have to remove the right side kick board and the lower door trim. It took about 20 minutes in all and the next time will be even faster but I will always take my time lowering the GB with the left GB retaining bolt removed.

This is an easy task anyone can do. Have fun and take your time.

#185 ·
Now install the Air Box Door, then put the metal brace back in place and install its hardware, then reinstall the GB lower left phillips screwdriver (underneath the left side of the GB), reinstall the two clips, and finally put all the junk back in the GB and your family will be ready to ride in the Pilot with clean air flowing inside.

These are the procedure I took so I didn't have to remove the right side kick board and the lower door trim. It took about 20 minutes in all and the next time will be even faster but I will always take my time lowering the GB with the left GB retaining bolt removed.

How do you shut off

How do you shut off the photo box label on pictures?

#17 ·
Very, very nice pictorial and description of this easy maintanence item!

Welcome to HPorg, you've got 22 posts under your belt so far, we will all benefit from future write ups from you!

#18 ·
jestmaty said:
Very, very nice pictorial and description of this easy maintanence item!

Welcome to HPorg, you've got 22 posts under your belt so far, we will all benefit from future write ups from you!
Thanks for the welcome JESTMATY. I want to help others here in the Forum as much as it has helped me. Anything and everything I do on my pilot that may assist someone else will be documented and added to this forum.

Once again, thanks for the compliment and the welcome.

#21 ·
rocky said:
This deserves a sticky
Thanks Rocky and others for the compliments. I just like to share what I think is a decent finished product for the DIYers. I just want to give back in a way since I take alot of information from the site.

#22 ·
Followed these instructions and replaced my cabin air filter in less than 30 minutes time. The dealership wanted to charge me $120 parts and labor....HA!

Thanks much!

787_Pilot

#23 ·
The above attached picture appeared to show the filter clogged and filthy. Not necessarily so. The original filter installed at the factory came impregnated with activated carbon. Out of the box, it took on a grey cast, exactly as shown in the picture. As a test, flip the filter over and notice the 'clean' side looks essentially the same.

The original filter was designed for double duty - remove dust and particulates, and remove airborne aerosol contaminants. Replacement filters (even from the dealer) do not contain this activated carbon treatment, and come out of the box pure white. Recently Fram and Bosch have announced plans to treat their cabin filters with activated carbon. I'll bet those filters will take on a grey cast in the process.

BTW-
The old style Fram cabin filter is part #CF8813, and the carbon impregnated one is part #CF8813A.

Still haven't figured out why Honda does not supply the dealers with the exact filter they install on the assembly line. Isn't that why you go back to the dealer, instead of the aftermarket?

#24 ·
A6Pilot said:
Still haven't figured out why Honda does not supply the dealers with the exact filter they install on the assembly line. Isn't that why you go back to the dealer, instead of the aftermarket?
Toyota does the same thing, and I could not find an aftermarket filter of any kind for my '07 Camry Hybrid, instead of the cheesy Toyota replacement filter. I bet I go through the same thing next December, when I'm ready to swap out the original filter in my '08 Highlander Hybrid.:(

#25 ·
A6Pilot said:
The above attached picture appeared to show the filter clogged and filthy. Not necessarily so. The original filter installed at the factory came impregnated with activated carbon. Out of the box, it took on a grey cast, exactly as shown in the picture. As a test, flip the filter over and notice the 'clean' side looks essentially the same.

The original filter was designed for double duty - remove dust and particulates, and remove airborne aerosol contaminants. Replacement filters (even from the dealer) do not contain this activated carbon treatment, and come out of the box pure white. Recently Fram and Bosch have announced plans to treat their cabin filters with activated carbon. I'll bet those filters will take on a grey cast in the process.
Good Information on the filter. I jus thought it was ash from all the fires in Alaska. There was also some dust, leaves, hair, and some feathers..........not sure how feathers got in there.

Needless to say it was dirty and ready to be replaced.

#26 ·
Good afternoon. My username is tim.s, I'm a long time owner...first time pollen filter changer. :rolleyes:

This really is a pretty simple job. The first time is more difficult, because you have to remove the plastic crossbar. But even that only took a couple minutes.

Nice job on the photo-instructions Armystrong, I refered to these before I started and there were no surprises. I give this thread :29::29:

The only thing I did different was that I used a pair of side cutters to cut out the plastic crossbar. Once I saw the size of the pre-perforations in the plastic, I realized I could use the side cutters and avoid having plastic bits scattered from the saw.

My old filter was pretty much dirty grey like everyone else. And I got the new filter shipped in from Hondacuraworld.

I examined the HVAC while I was in there and snapped some photos of the main fan, recirc baffle, etc... for future reference.

Reactions: aggrex