Changed Transmission Fluid. Piece of Cake! - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

www.bernardiparts.com

They will ship fluids, some dealers won't.

Trans fluid is $4.65/qt, probably cheap enough to cover the shipping charge.

I've bought from them, so far very reliable.
normkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Just finished my first Trans fluid change and it worked out great. Picked up the ATF at Honda and headed to the garage with the dif post's I had printed out. Picked up a funnel at Harbour Freight with an extension and it worked. The extension end fit perfectly over the dip stick opening and poured right in. Was going to try to remove jet kit but it seem more difficult to get too. Dipstick opening worked great/fast.

Thanks for all the info.
ndnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
jpc

In regards to the picture at http://hondapilot.org/forums/showthr...ght=white+bolt posted by jestmaty, the drain filler plug is above the blue bolt? I have a 2005 EXL, is it best to get the atf at this bolt? If so, will it drain enough oil so I would not have to do it 3 times? From what I saw, most are not changing the atm filter? Isn't that a bad idea?
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Yep, it is a 17mm bolt. The biggest one in the picture....

The OM for the '04 only recommends the fill/drain 3X if you've put something other than Honda tranny fluid in it for some reason. No one on HP.org has said their OM has listed the filter as a serviceable item.

Just about ANY parts place like Autozone, O'Reilly, Advance, Walmart etc... have for a couple of bucks a long black funnel for sale. It is about 15 or 16" long and fits perfectly in the filler hole. Just make sure that it is snugly wedged down into the fill hole, because if it comes out, you'll make a giant mess. I know from experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture_001re.jpg (124.6 KB, 2014 views)
jestmaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
jpc

Thanks. I have the 05. Do I have to do the drain and refill 3 times or can I just do it once?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #21 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I edited my post, read it again. I have gotten away from 3X drain/fill.

My Pilot has the tow package with tranny/power steering coolers so I feel more comfortable that the fluid doesn't get so hot.

My guess is that about 1/3 of the total tranny fluid capacity drains out when you just do a 'one time drain' of the fluid.
jestmaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default ATF change

Changed my AT fluid today (51K mi ) using a power flush system (it's awesome living across the street from a mechanic who has all the great toys ). Started by running some BG AT cleaner in it first, then flushing. The fluid coming out was DIR-TY!! Followed up with BG AT conditioner as well.
Very minimal hassle (did have to remove the plastic cowling? under the front part of the engine to access the lines), no mess & didn't have to fuss with the X4 drain/fill routine! I've used this system on my past vehicles (GM, Honda) with good results.
PS-Got my AT fluid through Bernardi.com. Even with shipping, a case of fluid was alot less than my local stealership at almost $8/qt.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

you are not supposed to power flush the transmission. best of luck to you...

2004 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5MT in Satin Silver Metallic
iivtecracerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default Transmission Flush

Where's the service bulletin on that?? I'd love to show it to the dealer, who tried to sell me the same service. I'll let you know if the transmission craps out
Old 12-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have a funnel I made out of an old fuel filter from my VW (a large can) and a length of 5/16" vinyl hose. It works quite nicely.
'03 VW Passat Wagon GLX V6, Blue Anthracite
'73 VW Fastback, Marina Blue
'94 John Deere LX176
ctobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jpc
Thanks. I have the 05. Do I have to do the drain and refill 3 times or can I just do it once?
The 3x routine does do a more thorough job, but if you're going with Honda's schedule, 1x is sufficient according to Honda.

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Transmission Flush

Quote:
Originally posted by bg1427
Where's the service bulletin on that?? I'd love to show it to the dealer, who tried to sell me the same service. I'll let you know if the transmission craps out
The service manual only recommends that you flush it when it is overhauled. It doesn't say NOT to do it.

This is in the 2003 Service Manual, page 14-154. It also indicates that you use biodegradable flushing fluid.

Hope that helps

Have you noticed any change in shifting? Is it any smoother?
Honda CB900C '82 sold
Honda CM400E '80
Sunday Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
jpc

Quote:
Originally posted by whizmo

The 3x routine does do a more thorough job, but if you're going with Honda's schedule, 1x is sufficient according to Honda.

- Mark
OK. If I am not mistaken, 45,000 in normal conditions is what the manual calls for the change. Do most follow that in normal non-towing conditions?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

I've put about 300 miles on it since the fluid change....still as smooth as it ever was...no change in the shifting, power, etc. Wasn't hoping for anything better, just for it to keep working fine.

The 'cleaner' additive was put into the old fluid, vehicle driven for a little, then flushed w/ new trans fluid. The conditioner went in after the new fluid was ran through it. Same stuff they sell at the dealership...

I've seen a couple other forums out there raking the Honda transmissions across the coals, from the '03 to an '08 w/ <5K miles on it....what gives? Is this an albatross nobody talks about? Would like to hear some thoughts...
Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bg1427
I've put about 300 miles on it since the fluid change....still as smooth as it ever was...no change in the shifting, power, etc. Wasn't hoping for anything better, just for it to keep working fine.

The 'cleaner' additive was put into the old fluid, vehicle driven for a little, then flushed w/ new trans fluid. The conditioner went in after the new fluid was ran through it. Same stuff they sell at the dealership...

I've seen a couple other forums out there raking the Honda transmissions across the coals, from the '03 to an '08 w/ <5K miles on it....what gives? Is this an albatross nobody talks about? Would like to hear some thoughts...
I have been on here for a few years, and there have been few (there were some) failures. I think the 2003's were suspect. But your '05 should be good. A member here, Jetsmaty tows a boat in Texas and if anyone would have had problems, I think he would have. Also another member hadn't even changed the fluid well past the limits, and it didn't fail.
We complain about every squeak and little irritant on this forum, so nothing like that would go unpunished!

I change the 1X tranny drain every other oil change (around 7,000 miles). The stuff just seems dirty. So this way it seems to keep its nice colour and smell. Smoothest shifting vehicle I've ever owned, but I used to have Explorers!
Honda CB900C '82 sold
Honda CM400E '80
Sunday Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: