15000K Maintenance - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 15000K Maintenance

Maintenance light went on our 06 Pilot that has 13.5K miles and dealer said it was for 15K service...we are about to go on a trip so my wife would like to get it done earlier rather than later. Dealer wants to charge $300 for following services:

--replace oil and change oil filter
--rotate tires
--inspect lights, heating and a/c systems
--check and adjust front and rear brakes
--lubricated door locks and hinges
--replace air filter
--replace transmission fluid

This seems pretty consistent with recommended maintenance (used mainly for around town and highway driving so lots of short trips, stop and go driving), other than transmission fluid which manual seems to say is a 30K service. Wondering how this compares with experience of others both in scope of services and how much charged (I live in NYC suburbs so presume it may be more expensive than some areas but wondering how this compares to other big urban area dealers).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: 15000K Maintenance

Whhooaaaa! Hang on to your money till I get there. $300! I will do it.

Oil filter Lube (There are no lube joints on a Pilot so I have been told so it really just a Oil Filter and oil change) = ~ $24

Rotate tires = Would do it myself but in this heat = ~ $20

Inspect = free, my dealer does it free anyway.

Replace air filter. Why so early? Wouldn't hurt though. = ~ $15 DIY

Transmission fluid, and I did it early at 30,000! You might want to do the transfer case fluid.

This is worth about $60. Just tell the dealer you want an OFL and tire rotation and maybe the transfer case fluid changed. Change the oil and filter every 5000, rotate tires every 10,000,
transfer case every 15,000 and the transmission every 30,000. Change the cabin air filter every two years (see excellent thread on doing this yourself and save big bucks).

Take the savings and save it towards a new set of decent tires (assuming you have Goodyear Lack of Integrities or until I get there to take that $240. Always wanted to see New Yawk.

Quote:
Originally posted by GorathLives
Maintenance light went on our 06 Pilot that has 13.5K miles and dealer said it was for 15K service...we are about to go on a trip so my wife would like to get it done earlier rather than later. Dealer wants to charge $300 for following services:

--replace oil and change oil filter
--rotate tires
--inspect lights, heating and a/c systems
--check and adjust front and rear brakes
--lubricated door locks and hinges
--replace air filter
--replace transmission fluid

This seems pretty consistent with recommended maintenance (used mainly for around town and highway driving so lots of short trips, stop and go driving), other than transmission fluid which manual seems to say is a 30K service. Wondering how this compares with experience of others both in scope of services and how much charged (I live in NYC suburbs so presume it may be more expensive than some areas but wondering how this compares to other big urban area dealers).
2005 Steel Blue Metallic EX-L with iPod P.I.E. X3 interface (keeps the cd changer!!), LED lights in doors and overhead, tow package, cargo shield, crossbars (self installed), WWongs stuff, cargo liner, extended warranty. All but the tow pkg at great saving through our sponsor hondacuraworld.
17 - 24 MPG with mileage removed for both the best and the worst atypical mileages. 183,000 miles since June 29, 2005
Sportymonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

It sounds like the dealer is lumping your service into one of their 15K "packs" which may include services you don't need and/or exclude services you do. Your 06 has a MM system which should tell you exactly what it needs, and my guess is that it is saying B16. As such you need an oil change, a tire rotation, a VTM-4 diff fluid change (not transmission), a tire rotation, and a bunch of inspections that the dealers typically don't bother with but charge you for. You shouldn't need a air filter replacement unless you frequently drive in dusty conditions.

Tell the dealer to do exactly what the MM says and nothing more. If they balk or the price is excessive, take your business elsewhere. If you have multiple Honda dealers in your area, ten minutes on the phone can save you hundreds.

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks to both of you for the really helpful replies! I had a pretty strong feeling they were selling my wife a bill of goods but she tends to believe me more when she knows I've done my research.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

My dealer gives you a "service booklet" upon sale. It makes it seem that this is required maintenance, but it is all sorts of unnecessary items with oil changes every 3000 miles and various other things WAY sooner than the owner's manual recommends.

I called them out on it and they got all pissy saying that is what THEY recommend. I told them thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with what HONDA recommends.

2006 2WD Steel Blue EX-L with Navigation (RIP - 3/10/12)
--------------------------------------------------------
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
mmmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

So I am just hitting the 15k mark on my 06 Pilot. I just got it 3 days ago and don't know if the service was done. Bought it from US and now in CDN. Just wondering if the service light will come on if it wasn't done. Also when you say tranfer case do mean actual tranfer case or the differentials?
dude68man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dude68man
So I am just hitting the 15k mark on my 06 Pilot. I just got it 3 days ago and don't know if the service was done. Bought it from US and now in CDN. Just wondering if the service light will come on if it wasn't done. Also when you say tranfer case do mean actual tranfer case or the differentials?
Did you buy it "certified used"? If so, the dealership probably did the 15K service.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got it from a auction but it's from Honda. So I think the guy that owned it before traded it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: