Maintenence Minder Code A 16 ? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Maintenence Minder Code A 16 ?

About to turn 10,000 miles -- Maintenence Minder displays Code A 16. Plus the little wrench icon is on. Oil Life turned to 15%, so I can see why get the "A" -- but there is no "16" listed. Unless it is "one" followed by a "six". But then the "six" would mean changeout fluid in the VTM-4. So we are supposed to changeout the VTM-4 fluid at every 2nd oil change ? This would be contrary to what everyone else is talking about in these forums -- 7500 miles for severe duty, and 15000 for hiway use. The manual defines severe (for VTM4) as either "towing", "above 110F", or "below "20F" -- none of which apply to me ! My first oil change was at ~5000 miles (10% oil life), so I guess my driving habits are in between "severe" and "hiway" for engine oil, but not for VTM-4.
As you can see, I am totally confused, and incoherent. Just wanted to poll as to when everyone had their first "six" code displayed in their MM.
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are six maintenance minder codes. So, it is a A 1 6.

For whatever reason, your vehicle detected conditions such that it feels that there is a reason to accelerate the schedule for changing your VTM-4 fluid. Perhaps there were a certain number of operations it encountered?

Here's what your maintenance means:

Maintenance Minder A Scheduled Maintenance
Recommended service for your 2006 Honda Pilot:

Replace engine oil

Maintenance Minder 1 Scheduled Maintenance

Rotate tires

Maintenance Minder 6 Scheduled Maintenance

Replace VTM-4 rear differential fluid
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher level of mechanical (shear) stress to fluid or frequently fully loaded. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the differential fluid changed at 7,500 miles (12,000 km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
'03 VW Passat Wagon GLX V6, Blue Anthracite
'73 VW Fastback, Marina Blue
'94 John Deere LX176
ctobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just talked with the Service advisor -- he did not know too much about it either. He mentioned I could just ignore it if I did not relaly consider myslef under the "severe" class. I was not so sure so I just scheduled the service for next Wed, since there did not seem to be any specifc urgency.

"Perhaps there were a certain number of operations it encountered" -- Exactly ! and this is precisely why I am curious as to the general experience of the population of the 4WD (with MM) owners regarding the first indication of the "6" code.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would just have the service performed. The VTM fluid change is cheap enough, even cheaper if you DIY.

Supposedly this maintenance minder tracks the number of RPMs, engine operating temps, and the like to do its magic. It would not surprise me that it also counts the amount of times the rear diff's clutches needed to be engaged and bases the fluid lifespan on this.
'03 VW Passat Wagon GLX V6, Blue Anthracite
'73 VW Fastback, Marina Blue
'94 John Deere LX176
ctobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: