DIY transmission fluid change? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY transmission fluid change?

How easy (or hard) is it to do change the transmission fluid? I searched the forum and didn't find any DIY postings. If anyone has done it and would be willing to type up the steps, I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

Click on the link below, you'll need to scroll down a bit. Also, it should be in your owner's manual as well.

Transmission Fluid
Old 11-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by humanoid
Click on the link below, you'll need to scroll down a bit. Also, it should be in your owner's manual as well.

Transmission Fluid
Thanks for the link, but from the last posting on that thread, it appears that the filler bolt is no longer there... does that mean you can only refill the ATF where the dipstick is?

Also, the owner's manual does not explain how to drain the ATF. It simply describes the process... no pictures or text to help locate the filler or drain bolt.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjlee

Thanks for the link, but from the last posting on that thread, it appears that the filler bolt is no longer there... does that mean you can only refill the ATF where the dipstick is?

Also, the owner's manual does not explain how to drain the ATF. It simply describes the process... no pictures or text to help locate the filler or drain bolt.
I'm under the impression that the filler bolt is still there for later transmissions that got a factory mod, but the ones that were recalled had the filler bolt replaced by a jet kit, and the method for re-filling those is through the dipstick tube.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: DIY transmission fluid change?

Quote:
How easy (or hard) is it to do change the transmission fluid? I searched the forum and didn't find any DIY postings. If anyone has done it and would be willing to type up the steps, I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate it.

This is another thread that I used. GO down to the end of the page and you will see anther way to get the fluid in, if you don't want to take out the bolt. It is not that bad to fill through the dipstick hole. I used a hand pump that had 1 hose in the bottle of tranny fluid and the other around the outside of the dipstick hole. Worked great. But I am sure just as good with a funnel.

I bought 3 sizes of 3 ft. clear hose for next time.

Here's the link I am talking about

Good luck
Honda CB900C '82 sold
Honda CM400E '80
Sunday Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

You need a 17mm socket and a long extension bar to remove the ATF filler bolt. It takes a lot of effort to loosen the filler bolt.

OEM Full Nose Mask | Wheel Locks | Cross Bars | OEM Running Boards | Chrome Accent - OEM Running Board | Rear Splash Guard | OEM '04 Horn | Cloud-Rider Spectare Black Stainless Steel Grille Screen & Bumper Combo | Thule Ski Rack #725 | Thule Snowboard Carrier #575 |OEM All Season Floor Mats |OEM Cargo Tray | Pilot Motorsports #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips | PowerStation Pro Portable Charger/Compressor/Emergency Light | Tire Step Ladder | Eurodezigns Blue Xenon H4 Bulbs & H3 Fog Light Bulbs | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Dynamat Original/Extreme | Complete Set of 3M Protector | 3M Metallic Tint | Covercraft Noah Custom Cover | Microtune #141X Antenna Amplifier | Dashmat Dash Cover | Full Size Spare Tire | Broadway Napolex BW-86 Wide Inside Rear View Mirror | Complete Sets of Dark Smoke WeatherTech WeatherFlectors | Westin Black Rear Bumper Guard | 3rd Brake Light Mod | 6 Disc CD Changer |

The dawn of love would be the end of pleasure!
john802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
e2e

Here's another link with some photos:
Transmission fluid changed

Unlike the one pictured in this thread, the filler bolt on my '05 is silver and is stamped "ATF."
Old 03-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default AUTO TRANS FLUID CHANGE

I CHANGED MY TRANS FLUID THIS WEEKEND. THE PARTS SALESMAN SAYS THREE QUARTS WOULD DO. WHEN I DRAINED IT ABOUT 4 QUARTS CAME OUT. SATURDAY AFTERNOON, ABOUT 45 MILES FROM THE HONDA SHOP DID NOT HELP THE SITUATION. I THINK THAT THE CAR WAS ON AN ANGLE WHEN I DRAINED IT WHICH ALLOWED FOR MORE TO COME OUT. I DROVE IT ABOUT 3/4 QT LOW MONDAY MORNING TO THE SHOP AND TOPPED OFF THE FLUID. IT SEEMS THE TRANS HOLDS ABOUT SEVEN QUARTS BUT WHEN DRAIN PROPERLY ONLY A PART OF IT COMES OUT, SO REPEATED DRAIN AND FILLS ARE REQUIRED TO CHANGE IT ALL.

I FOUND A PIECE OF RUBBER HOSE ( 8 INCH) THAT FIT TIGHTLY OVER THE DIP STICK TUBE AND ONTO A SMALL FUNNEL WHICH MADE REFILLING IT EASY.

BUNKIEPILOT
BUNKIEPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Re: DIY transmission fluid change?

Quote:

Look at e2e's link.... the pics on the first page show both the filler bolt and drain plug. I've done it twice and my Pilot now has 38k miles.

Very easy to do... don't pay someone else to do it. First of all, the vehicle is so high off the ground that you don't have to jack it up or anything.

Just use a 17mm socket with a LOONGGG extension, maybe 18" or so, and use a 1/2 drive or breaker bar. The picture in the link by e2e shows the filler bolt which has white paint or something on it.

As with any drain/fill procedure on an automobile, always, always, always loosen the fill plug first! If you drain first and have trouble loosening the fill plug, whoops!!!!

Also, don't overtighten the fill plug between fill/drain/fill cycles. Just a little over hand tight is enough. I think the difference between the aluminum housing and the plug metal (whatever it is) almost causes a galling (seizing) effect. During both of my ATF changes, the plug seems to tighten itself when I did my drain, fill, drive a couple of miles, then drain again cycles.

Not really a problem, just aggravating to have to muscle the plug out 3 more times before the process is completed.

Be prepared to go through about 12 or 13 quarts of fluid to get a full replacement of fluid. I guess the tranny holds 10 or more quarts of fluid and only 3.5 quarts will come out with a single drain, leaving a WHOLE bunch of fluid left in the tranny and torque converter.

I've found that the fluid that comes out after about 15k miles of use is still the same color and smell as when I put it in. I know it does get contaminated, so can't go by the color/smell to justify longer intervals.

Plus, I tow a boat and a camper down in South Texas where the heat is just awful about 7 months out of the year, stressing out the fluid enough in my mind to warrant the frequent changes.

Good luck, and go by Walmart or any parts store and buy one of those 2 foot long funnels to get down to that filler bolt. The opening is about as big around as a quarter, so just about any funnel neck will fit in the hold.
jestmaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

I found the DIY transmission fluid change instructions made by fellow forum member pilotjoe to be very helpful when I did my own. I believe its on pages 4 and 5 of this related thread:
Transmission Fluid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: