Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2004 Pilot Rear Shock Replacement

5K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Carphunter 
#1 ·
Was going to do the adjustable camber arms on the rear of the '04 Pilot. Looked at shocks and figured i may as well do them while i'm in there.

Looking rock and other part places... do the kyb shocks require the shock bushing that is listed separately... or is that a replacement part if you aren't gonna replace a whole shock?

also...do the mounting bolts need to be replaced... or should the originals be reusable?

Don't wanna order crap and find out i need that "one more thing" to finish.

#3 ·
and from what i've read...if the project goes south... go pick up a high grade nut and bolt and that should be good enough to refasten.

when pulling the upper arm on the rear... is that known to be a pain? if it's not rusted in place...looks to me like a simple job.

#5 · (Edited)
Just did my rear shocks last week with KYBs from Rockauto. The job went well, but it didn't solve my creaking noise coming from the rear, which I thought it would. I'm somewhat disappointed. It sounds like creaky wood floorboards, when going slowly over uneven road surfaces, like speed bumps, driveway accesses and the like. Just opening the back door and sitting down or bouncing up and down in the rear seat makes it creak, too.

My next suspects:

1. the adjustable rear upper control arms I also got from Rockauto. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6121176&cc=1432632&jsn=1 The creaking started within six months of installing these. Do they need to be greased or lubed or something?
  2. rear sway bar bushings?
  3. not springs, I hope (I haven't been towing at all)
  4. there isn't something back there that just needs a good greasing, like in some of my vehicles of yore, is there?

#6 ·
J
My next suspects:

1. the adjustable rear upper control arms I also got from Rockauto. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6121176&cc=1432632&jsn=1 The creaking started within six months of installing these. Do they need to be greased or lubed or something?
  2. rear sway bar bushings?
  3. not springs, I hope (I haven't been towing at all)
  4. there isn't something back there that just needs a good greasing, like in some of my vehicles of yore, is there?
(1) The Mevotech appears to be "permanently" lubed. There is no Zirk fitting.

May not be everyone's cup of tea, it is time to jack up the rear end, drop the wheels, and use a pry bar to jerk the suspension.

#8 · (Edited)
It all depends... Mine is an '06 located where they do salt the roadways. With my ball joint tool, the ball joint popped right out. I approached the job with trepidation like you do after doing the front LCA's. But it turned out to be a walk... By all means, try borrow one from the Zone. Size matters due to limited space.

CAUTION: YMMV

#11 · (Edited)
Well, did the Pilot this weekend. Camber arms and shocks. Took about 4 hours... maybe less. first wheel took a while as i was ensuring which end of bolts/nuts to remove (top shock bolt, undo the bolt, bottom, do the nut. camber arm, remove the top bolt, nut is welded, bottom, remove the castle nut.).

nothing real dramatic in the process... actually, by doing both at the same time, made accessing the camber arms easier.

went to rough set the camber arms length, and figured out at their shortest setting, they seem about even with the stock arms.

now need to confirm the preferred alignment specs when i take it in so i know they adjust the dang rear camber.

found these numbers in another thread... anyone able to confirm them... or have a chart of what "perfect" alignment would be? Or... at least what rear camber value do i want it to be at to keep it from eating the inside of tires?

oh... and while i'm screwing around... does the pilot front camber adjust? or only if you buy replacment adjustable bolts for the front struts?

Camber
Front: -0°30' ±1°
Rear: -0°30' ±45'

Caster
Front: 1°53' ±1°

Total Toe
Front: 0±2 mm (0±1/16")
Rear: 0±2 mm (0±1/16")

Front Wheel Turning Angle
Inside Wheel: 38°08'
Outside Wheel: 30°19' (Reference)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.