Timing Belt Cost - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Timing Belt Cost

Looking to get the timing belt done for my 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD. Just posting this information for others to see. Not sure what I will do, but I am trying to get Dupage Auto Werks to let me buy the parts, which should be about $250.00, bringing that job down to $900.00.

Repair Shop
Parts
Labor
Total
Dupage Auto Werks
West Chicago, IL
Replace timing belt and tensioner, Replace water pump and flush cooling system. Replace serpentine belt and adjust.
$526.11
$651.95
$1,178.06
Carlton Auto Repair
Wheaton, IL
Replace timing belt and tensioner, Replace water pump and flush cooling system. Replace serpentine belt and adjust.
Didn't provide breakdown
Didn't provide breakdown
$1,235.04
Honda of Lisle
Lisle, IL
Didn't provide breakdown
Didn't provide breakdown
$1,350.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 AM

It's about average. Lots of labor to get to the belt and put it back together. Figure at least 6hrs. Make sure your kit has new pulleys and when they replace the serpentine belt, have them put in a new bolt on the tensioner. I've seen multiple Honda 6cyl have the serpentine belt tensioner bolt break when reused. May also want to ask how providing your own parts may impact their warranty if there are issues.

2016 Accord EXL, White Orchid Pearl
2011 Pilot EXL AWD, Grey
2008 CRV EXL AWD, Tango Red
2009 Lucerne CXL,
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:20 PM

The AISIN TKH002 kit can be found for around $200. Add new belts too. If I recall correctly the Alldata hour requirements is 6. Find a shop that specializes in imports and that will allow you to provide an OEM kit. In my area the shop rate that I use is $70/hr. So, the 100K service on my 2009 was under $500 labor which also included valve lash inspection (suggested on the 2009, not sure about your 2007).

While $1000 is a lot to pay for maintenance I would think about it this way - $1000 probably 2-3 months in a car payment. Maintaining the vehicle for the long term with this required service will save you that 2-3 payment in the long run.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Its the biggest bill you will likely have on your Pilot. But the full service includes replacing plugs, filters, oil, transmission, Rear diff. Based on your numbers those are included in the service but not mentioned.
The flip side is that you are now set up for another 105k of service from your Pilot.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 PM
xGS

These specials may not include replacing the tensionser, but it can be worthwhile to shop around:

2003 EX
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Nothing else is included in those numbers, just timing belt job. The 105,000 mile service price, not including the timing belt, was quoted to me at between $300-400, depending on who you asked.

I just bought the car used with 102,000 miles on it and the selling dealer had just done a brake job, oil and filter change and put new tires on it. I just had the fluids in the transmission, transfer case and differential changed. I am going to change the air and cabin filters myself and with the timing belt job I should be in good shape

I saw the $865 coupon for Honda of Lisle. When I asked them, they said they coupon doesn't actually cover the entire job, only part of it, so it equates to 10% off the entire $1350.00 full price job.

Also, I checked with Crown Transmission in Glen Ellyn, IL, which, despite the name, does all types of repairs and they quoted $795 for (Replace timing belt and tensioner, Replace water pump and flush cooling system. Replace serpentine belt and adjust), so they win. Going in on Monday
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Those rates are inline with what I recently paid for a timing belt job (timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and coolant). $895 regular price, $795 with coupon. The timing belt tensioner was about $150 extra which was a bit high but I didn't have much choice since it was leaking and I wanted the job done that day. Out the door was roughly $1K after tax. The dealer also loaned out a 2016 Accord for the day so I got to take an extended "test drive" with a vehicle I'd definitely consider in the future.

2005 Honda Pilot LX
- Aftermarket window tint, Kenwood stereo

2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Longbed 4x4 Limited
- Aftermarket bed lights, In-cab AC power outlet, Auxiliary reverse lights, Door Chime shut-off, Glove box LED lights, Rear differential two-way breather

Previous: 1990 Honda Civic (still running), 2003 Toyota Tacoma XtraCab PreRunner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: