Disable EX-L Alarm - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-24-2004, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
All Done

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post Disable EX-L Alarm

Hello All,

Just got my Pilot in Nighthawk Black. I had Honda put in a autostarter. It's an audiovox device that includes an alarm. They told me to use the Audiovox remote to open doors and enable/disable alarm. I am taking it back this weekend to fix my issue, but let me descirbe my issue.

The normal Honda Pilot Keyless entry remote lock/unlocks the doors and enables/disables the Honda alarm. When the Honda alarm goes off, it is the horn blowing.

With the audiovox alrarm they put in, it's a different alarm noise.

The problem is that when I use the Audiovox remote to open the doors/disable the alarm, the Honda Alarm goes of. When I use the Honda remote to open the doors, the Audiovox alarm goes off. I don't think they disabled the Honda Alarm. Is there a switch to disable the Honda Alarm?

It's really funny because for me to get into the car, i have to open the doors with both remotes. Since Honda installed it, it's under warannty, but I just want to know if I can disable the Honda Alarm.

Tx
Rog
cheetat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
humanum est errare

I wonder if the Honda alarm might also be connected to the immobilizer

2003 #48853 EX-L RES Sage Brush Pearl [sold 3/10/09]

2009 Sienna XLT Limted AWD
2006 A4 2.0 CVT
2004 X3 3.0
2003 M3Cic
2003 325i (gone)
2003 Matrix XR (total loss)
1996 Landcruiser (gone)
sfhondapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
along for the ride

What you are experiencing is exactly why a lot of people shy away from putting in remote starters. I put one in my Outback and now have to carry two fobs - the factory one is only there to turn off the alarm if I accidently set it off. Maybe I don't understand what's all involved in it, but how hard can it be to design a system that will smoothly incorporate a remote starter. Honda could make a lot money selling an OEM remote starter as an accessory.
2004 Midnight Blue Pilot EX: Running Boards, Trailer Hitch, PS/AT Coolers, Fog Lights, Dog Divider, Cargo Cover, Cross Bars, Husky Mats, Thule Expressway Bike Carrier (Hitch mount), rear splash guards: Polk db650 speakers in all 4 doors, Michelin Cross Terrains (45k on OEM Bridgestones)

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid: Titanium Metallic, Sunroof, Heated Outside mirrors, Bodyside Molding, Mudflaps (another great car and 2007 Motor Trend Car of the Year)

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f49/
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
All Done

I am taking it in tommorrow to Honda. I will update what my experience was and what there solution was.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
All Done

I took it today to the dealer, and we figured out what happened. First off, the dealer offered to disable the factory alarm and I declined after I realized what was wrong.

The problem was I was keeping the factory remote on the same key ring. The factory remote was accidently being armed by my 50 keys on the key ring. I realized that this was happening because a few times, I would go outside and all off a sudden the parking lights would flash. I wouldn't even have the remote in my hand. My wife also noticed one night when we went to take out the garbage, that the parking lights flashed. When the factory alarm is activated, the parking lights flash and the doors lock. It does not make a sound. The audiovox alarm makes beeps when i arm/disarm.

So I decided to test my theory. I armed the car with the factory alarm. The security light by the drivers door lock was flashing. I let the Audiovox alarm arm itself after 30 seconds of inacitivity. I checked both lights. They both were flashing. Now I decided to open the doors with the Audiovox remote, and guess what, the Factory Alarm went crazy, with the horn. I did the same thing again, but then disarmed with the factory Alarm, guess what, the Audiovox alarm went off. So to finish, I did not disable the factory alarm. I just took it off my keychain and put it in the glove box. I am testing this week to see if the factory alarm goes off or arms itself.

Tx Rog
Old 03-31-2004, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I find the factory fob and PANIC alarm on our 2004 EX-L is WAY TOO SENSITIVE. In the less than 3 months since we bought the vehicle, my wife and I have probably accidently set the panic alarm off a dozen or more times! Mostly this happens if the keys are in my pocket or coat and I bend over or bump the keys somehow.

It is way to easy to hit the red alarm button. My two previous cars never had this problem. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy. If anyone ever actually did break into the car and the alarm went off, nobody would think any thing of it!

Vince
Old 04-20-2004, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

The problem is that the Audiovox alarm was not installed properly. You can install an aftermarket unit and have it disarm and arm the factory security system. Most units will have the proper wires to interface with the stock system.

I would ask them where they interfaced the lock/unlock wires for the Audiovox unit. They should have tapped into the appropriate wires in the passenger kickpanel area. These wires control the arm/disarm functions of the stock system.

What model Audiovox do you have? Also, is your remote start working properly as well?
HondaDrvr4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: