Head light adjustment - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Head light adjustment

I found a problem with head lights as the light throw in front of the vehicle was not upto my camry. Yesterday I went to the dealer for an oil change and asked the guy if it is possible to adjust the lights. He told me that it is factory fit and there is no way to adjust the lights. Is this true... any comments..

Honda Pilot 2003
Sandstone Metallic
Weatherguard Bug deflector
Underbody Anti-Rust Coating
coimbatorein is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Premium Member
 
colorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 6,729
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to colorider
Re: Head light adjustment

Quote:
Originally posted by coimbatorein
I found a problem with head lights as the light throw in front of the vehicle was not upto my camry. Yesterday I went to the dealer for an oil change and asked the guy if it is possible to adjust the lights. He told me that it is factory fit and there is no way to adjust the lights. Is this true... any comments..
Many Pilot owners are experiencing "cut-off" type headlights for the first time. They may appear to not light as well on low beam, but (when adjusted properly) they are superior to old style lights.

That said, some are not adjusted properly from the Factory. Here is a thread that describes how to adjust them.

BTW, your dealer is feeding you

Good luck!!

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
colorider is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:50 AM
Registered User
 
N_Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, NW Burbs
Posts: 15,139
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Head light adjustment

Quote:
Originally posted by coimbatorein
I found a problem with head lights as the light throw in front of the vehicle was not upto my camry. Yesterday I went to the dealer for an oil change and asked the guy if it is possible to adjust the lights. He told me that it is factory fit and there is no way to adjust the lights. Is this true... any comments..
Next time you are at the dealer ask them very nicely to STOP LYING to you!

Yes, they are adjusted from the factory, yes they are adjustable.
If you rarely load your pilot you may want to adjust tyhem up a bit, but be warned, they probably ned to stay where they are, not to be too high when you do have the back loaded.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
Sir Winston Churchill
N_Jay is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:01 AM
jay
Super Senior Member

 
jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 11,113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
kemosabe posted this page from the Service Manual showing how to do the vertical adjustment on the headlights. I never could figure out how a Phillips screwdriver would work, so I just used a 10mm socket on it instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlight2.jpg (102.2 KB, 6532 views)

"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra
jay is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:09 AM
jay
Super Senior Member

 
jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 11,113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Also, the diagram may appear confusing at first, as there is a plastic cap that's easily visible, that looks like it's the adjustment point, but isn't. sfhondapilot modified the diagram to show the two areas better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlight adjustment.jpg (23.3 KB, 6433 views)

"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra
jay is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks guys.. I will try it at home...

Honda Pilot 2003
Sandstone Metallic
Weatherguard Bug deflector
Underbody Anti-Rust Coating
coimbatorein is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:24 AM
jay
Super Senior Member

 
jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 11,113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by coimbatorein
Thanks guys.. I will try it at home...
Just don't adjust them too high. I adjusted mine, went to use the high beams on a dark country road one night, and the adjustment was so high that the high beams were useless. I since had the dealer re-adjust them to the maximum upward adjustment that still passes inspection in Virginia, and am happy with it.

"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra
jay is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Registered User
 
N_Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, NW Burbs
Posts: 15,139
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by jay
Just don't adjust them too high. I adjusted mine, went to use the high beams on a dark country road one night, and the adjustment was so high that the high beams were useless. I since had the dealer re-adjust them to the maximum upward adjustment that still passes inspection in Virginia, and am happy with it.
And don't forget, the adjustment will change with loading.
Mine are set from the factory. They are a tad low with only front seat passengers, but are a bit too high when loaded for vacation.
(not enough to readjust, but shows why the factory sets them that way)

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
Sir Winston Churchill
N_Jay is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Member

 
Alsacien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it normal to have the left side a little lower then the right side? Since I put in the Sylvania silverstar. I notice that the left side is a little bit lower then the right side.. OR Do I need to adjust them to be even?


Thanks..

#609524 '03 Pilot EX-L - Sage Brush Pearl
● Crossbars, Rear Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Cargo Liner, LoJack, Full Front Bra, All Season Floor Mats
● Weathertech Bug Deflector, Weatherflector
● XM Delphi Skyfi, Navman 3450
● Thule Ski rack , Snowboards rack
● Westin Brush Guard and waag Rear Bumper Guard
● Tire Minder
Alsacien is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 
N_Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, NW Burbs
Posts: 15,139
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by Alsacien
Is it normal to have the left side a little lower then the right side? Since I put in the Sylvania silverstar. I notice that the left side is a little bit lower then the right side.. OR Do I need to adjust them to be even?


Thanks..
The low beams usually have a slight upward tilt to the right.
This can make the left beam look a bit lower. There is nothing wrong with having both at the same level as long as neither one is aimed too high.
You want about 2 1/2 inches of drop at the top of the low beam for every 20 feet.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
Sir Winston Churchill
N_Jay is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:16 PM
jay
Super Senior Member

 
jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 11,113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by Alsacien
Is it normal to have the left side a little lower then the right side? Since I put in the Sylvania silverstar. I notice that the left side is a little bit lower then the right side.. OR Do I need to adjust them to be even?


Thanks..
My left one is a bit lower than the right one. Well, the headlight beam is, anyway.

"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra
jay is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Premium Member
 
colorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 6,729
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to colorider
Quote:
Originally posted by N_Jay
The low beams usually have a slight upward tilt to the right.
This can make the left beam look a bit lower. There is nothing wrong with having both at the same level as long as neither one is aimed too high.
You want about 2 1/2 inches of drop at the top of the low beam for every 20 feet.
In the tread I posted the link to, you stated:

"Remember don't aim them too high.
Specification is 2.1" drop at 25'.
You measure the height based n the little dot in the middle of the headlamp, and the cut off line of the low beam.
Cleaning the lenses before aiming makes the cut off line sharper."

Close???


Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
colorider is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:55 PM
xGS
Registered User
 
xGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,729
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Pilot is equipped with VOR (visual-optical-right) type headlamps.
Look at the lower inside corner of the lens, closest to the grille, and note the markings "HONDA HB2 VOR DOT".

The projected low beam has a jog or step in it, with the left-hand side slightly lower than the right-hand side. With a typical load (passengers, cargo and fuel) in the vehicle, the correct vertical aim for a VOR headlamp is achieved when the top of the right-hand side of the low beam pattern is coincident with a horizontal line intersecting the centers of the headlamps (approximately 34" off the ground, by my measurement) with no drop, at a 25' distance from a vertical wall on a level surface.

For more information you can check here: [http://www.mvlc.info/lighting_glossary.html]
or here: [http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html].
xGS is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:02 AM
Registered User
 
N_Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, NW Burbs
Posts: 15,139
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by xGS
The Pilot is equipped with VOR (visual-optical-right) type headlamps.
Look at the lower inside corner of the lens, closest to the grille, and note the markings "HONDA HB2 VOR DOT".

The projected low beam has a jog or step in it, with the left-hand side slightly lower than the right-hand side. With a typical load (passengers, cargo and fuel) in the vehicle, the correct vertical aim for a VOR headlamp is achieved when the top of the right-hand side of the low beam pattern is coincident with a horizontal line intersecting the centers of the headlamps (approximately 34" off the ground, by my measurement) with no drop, at a 25' distance from a vertical wall on a level surface.

For more information you can check here: [http://www.mvlc.info/lighting_glossary.htm]
or here: [http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html].
The Honda service manual tell you to set a drop in the headlights on low beam.
The center of the beam, where you measure, is fairly flat acroos the top and the higher beam starts futher to the right.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
Sir Winston Churchill
N_Jay is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:47 PM
xGS
Registered User
 
xGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,729
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by N_Jay
The Honda service manual tell you to set a drop in the headlights on low beam.
The center of the beam, where you measure, is fairly flat acroos the top and the higher beam starts futher to the right.
Unless Honda is trying to simulate the effect of a full load in a partially loaded vehicle, the aim of a VOR headlamp should be adjusted so that there is no drop at the top of the right side of the low beam relative to the centerline of the headlamps.

Also, the vertical aim of a visually/optically aimable headlamp is not adjusted by using the center of the beam.
Either the left or the right side of the low beam is used depending upon whether it is a VOL or VOR design.
xGS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome