Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2003 - 08 Air Bag Recall

36K views 127 replies 47 participants last post by  kraig205 
#1 ·
Heard it on the news last night and here is the Washington Post article about the recall Airbag defect spurs recall of 4.7 million vehicles - The Washington Post

To check for specific VIN, go here

The NHTSA "urged people whose cars are equipped with them to take action immediately." However, vehicle manufacturers and airbag maker Takata appeared (or claimed) to be in short supply of the replacement air bags

#100 ·
I went in for an oil change this morning and they ordered a driver's airbag inflator (part# 15-040) for my 2004 EX. The service advisor said it takes about 45 minutes to install.

They also tried to get me to do a bunch of stuff at the 105k interval that had already been done by my independent mechanic. I probably could have dropped $2k there today if I did everything they recommended (timing belt/water pump, new plugs, valve adjustment, and rear shocks). I did watch them get a woman to pay $90 to have her cabin and air filters changed though. :(

#101 · (Edited)
Almost makes you wonder if some recalls are green-lit so they can get a whole bunch of easy targets into the dealerships to upsell and overcharge them. :xnuts:

#102 · (Edited)
AHM is plenty diligent when it comes to cluing dealers in on potential customers. My discount coupons come with my VIN printed on them (I bought the car in another state). As far as the airbag recall, it is far less as diligent. I don't think notification of any kind has been sent in MA to date. The service upsell is typical across the industry. Once your vehicle goes beyond the warranty period, you become a target.

#103 ·
Yeah, I still haven't received anything from Honda about this particular recall. Since they had contacted me pretty quickly about the other three recalls (transmission, headlight, & ignition interlock) I had just assumed that they would probably have to stagger the notices due to the large number of cars that fall under it.

#104 ·
Second Air Bag recall

Frist recall notice that I received from Honda was back in April, but was not completed till the last part of June due to waiting for the honda's back order to come in. Now in mid part of June I received a second safety recall notice from Honda stating that, Quote "Even if your vehicle was previously repaired, your vehicle is still covered by this recall and will need to be repaired again"
2006 Honda Pilot 5FNYF28496B012095

#106 ·
Frist recall notice that I received from Honda was back in April, but was not completed till the last part of June due to waiting for the honda's back order to come in. Now in mid part of June I received a second safety recall notice from Honda stating that, Quote "Even if your vehicle was previously repaired, your vehicle is still covered by this recall and will need to be repaired again"
2006 Honda Pilot 5FNYF28496B012095
Its not showing on Hondalink as having any open recalls.

#105 ·
I had my recall fix and now the airbag light started to turn ON. Dealer said they're waiting for a part? So, it was just a temp fix or they disabled something?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#107 · (Edited)
second recall

I didn't see my vin# before on the first recall notice list either when I got my first notice in the mail and I still don't see it now, with the second notice received in the mail , So I'm only going by the second notice that Honda sent me,
Honda Quoted "been previously repaired and need repair again" Oh well
I'll be calling the dealer Monday to schedule the second repair and see what happens

Attachments

#110 · (Edited)
Recall

Called the local Honda deader today (7/27) and was told that there was no present recall on my Honda Pilot and if I wanted to call Honda direct to double check, So I did and was told the same thing and to disregard the second notice I received from them.
I even looked it up on the Honda's recall web site and got the same results
Site last Updated on Jul 26, 2015, Recall Result, There are no current safety recalls for this vehicle
VIN: 5FNYF28496B012095
Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: Pilot
Number of Open Recalls: 0

#111 ·
Went to the dealer 2-3 months ago with my 06 and ran my number and was told that my pilot was not included in the recall. Got a letter from Honda today. Went back to the dealer today and was told that Honda expanded the recall, They plan to replace the airbag on the driver side. Parts here in 7-10 days, about an hour to install,

#114 ·
Waiting here at local honda dealer for the 2nd airbag recall. First when they said they fixed all the recall. Second is when the SRS light turned ON. They said there is a part needed?

#116 ·
Now they just reminded me that the SRS light was from the seatbelt sensor that is broken. Covered under warranty. Not sure if it's the same thing.

#117 ·
Done. Got a letter over the summer and a call to take it in last week. Dropped the Pilot off at Excel Honda before work and got a call before lunch to tell me it was ready.

Not that I have the intention of testing it any time soon, but it's good to know the Takata airbag won't pepper me and my passengers with friendly fire the next time I crash.

#122 ·
I showed up for my appointment yesterday to get the passenger side inflator installed and was told that they didn't have the part in stock. I specifically asked the person I spoke to last week if they had the part and they said they did. The part is now ordered, but I had to waste my time yesterday morning and I'm not supposed to drive around with anyone in the passenger seat until it is replaced. :mad:

#125 ·
Ugh. I was finally to get this done today, 11 weeks after my first appointment. The dealer was supposed to call me when the part came in, but I got frustrated and called them last week and the part was magically in stock. This is the 5th recall on my 2004 Pilot and hopefully the last. :eek:

#123 ·
We received the same passenger side airbag recall on our 2005 Pilot a little over a week ago. Called the dealer and they said they would call when the part came in. The dealer called on Friday and set up our appointment for yesterday, August 2. It took all of a half-hour, which included a hand-wash and dry.

#126 · (Edited)
According to Honda, there are two different brands of air bag that were used in the 2003-2008 Honda Pilot, passenger side, and is why all vehicles are not affected by the recall. The 26 May 2016 NHTSA letter about Honda 2003-2008 Takata passenger airbag recalls is misleading because it appears that certain 2005-2008 Pilots in certain states (i.e., Idaho) are not included in the recall, when in fact some are. Best thing to do is check your VIN at the Honda website and if still in doubt, call Honda America and discuss your specific vehicle with them concerning the passenger side airbag. Just for clarification, I'm only referring to the passenger side, not the drivers side which was recalled at an earlier time (2014 I think).

#128 ·
The Honda dealer I used for my passenger airbag recall was terrible. They took forever and left me with a mess. The new airbag on my 2005 is sticky to the touch. I have tried lots things to try to get it cleaned but no luck. Has anyone else had this problem or have an idea what to clean it with?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.