Squeaking-Cricket Sound on 04 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Squeaking-Cricket Sound on 04

I'm reposting this again to see if anyone has suggestions.

I'm experiencing a squeaking or cricket sound (like intermittent vibrating peices of metal rubbing together, not constant like wind noise) on my 04 Pilot, front passenger outside (not coming from the dash from what I can tell), and only under the following conditions:

1. Above 50+ MPH
2. Outside temp 70+ F (no problems early morning or late afternoon)

The problem doesn't seem to be affected by rough road. At lower speeds, I do not hear the noise regardless of how big the bump or hole. At higher speeds the noise becomes more noticeable, but doesn't get worse or better due to the roughness of the road.

I've already tried tweaking the AC/Heat setting, fiddling with the glove box, and checking the window and door seals.

I've taken a look at the other threads, but I'm not sure if these symptoms have been described before. Is there anything I can do to attempt to fix/isolate/identify the problem before I to take it back to the dealer? Where should I add some grease? I'm not very technical about cars but I consider myself handy, so I'm going to need pictures (location) or a good description of what I should try.

I'll post my vin once I get a chance
practicaldad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a problem too with my front driver / passenger doors making noise at highway speeds on my 2004.

I just got back from the dealer this afternoon. Whenever I travel at Highway speed I hear a buzz / clicking noise.

The dealer replaced the front driver and passenger door trim, but that did not fix the problem.

I take it back tomorrow to have them adjust the front doors. It appears to be wind noise, but it only happens sporadically.

I will post again after tomorrow.
tazmania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2003, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Pilotgal
Default squeaking sound

My pilot had that clicking squeaking sound on the drivers side, and it was a strut. they replaced it and the sound is gone. Now I notice when I am on the freeway something on the passenger door or seat really rattles. I usually drive alone, so its hard to check at 65mph
Pilotgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2003, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Chirping noise

Took the service guy for a ride and he described the noise as birds chirping from the passenger side front wheel well. They told me that they tried tightening some things, with no success. They plan to work on it again tomorrow by opening up the front passenger quarter panel. Lets see what tomorrow brings...
Old 10-14-2003, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default They say its the shock.

Its on order and will arrive next week. Hopefully they found the problem.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

Default Re: Chirping noise

Quote:
Originally posted by practicaldad
Took the service guy for a ride and he described the noise as birds chirping from the passenger side front wheel well. They told me that they tried tightening some things, with no success. They plan to work on it again tomorrow by opening up the front passenger quarter panel. Lets see what tomorrow brings...
Eureeeeka! Now I know the sound you're talking about. I couldn't quite put my finger on how to describe it, but hearing how your service guy described it as a "chirping" sound, I'm sure it's the same sound my Pilot makes. It's also very akeen to air being squeezed out of one of those rubber toys, except that the squeeking mechnism is nearly broken. (No, this is not the sound you get when you go over a speed bump slowly and that slight whoosh sound is made. This noise has a high pitch to it.) My chirping sound seems to come from the rear left side though.

Unfortunately, my chirping sound doesn't come on all the time and it's very faint. If the music is turned up even a bit, you can't hear the noise. However, it seems to occurs at any speed and when the road's mildly bumpy. If the road's pretty rough, I don't know whether it's because the road noise drowns out the chirping noise, but the chirping is not heard at all. It doesn't seem to be affected by the temperature since I've had this noise since this spring.

I never bothered to post about it since I've wasted enough posts in here with my pinging problem in here. Please let us know how the new shocks work out for you. If the noise gets worse and is more persistent, then I'll have a technician go for a drive to hear it for himself and suggest a new shock as a fix.

But with my luck, that'll probably happen just after my warranty is up
RipRocK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2003, 02:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default High pitched noise

RipRock - Yes, its a high pitch noise and it's driving me mad. If the noise was only present at 100mph , I wouldn't mind it. For me, its exactly how I described, highway speeds during the warm parts of the day. The radio or road noise cannot mask the irritating sound.

I'm a sceptic right now, as I've read the various threads where the shock is the first thing that they replace, probably out of habit (or costs) to try to fix the problem when they aren't really sure. In the technology industry, its called "shot-gunning". You replace everything in a general logical path (or in our case vicinity) until the problem is fixed. The service guy sounded confident however. We'll see.

You would think that the 04's would have improved quality than the 03's. I only have 400 miles and I'm begining to hear scrunch on the driver side door, saggy leather, and the chirping. The scrunch isn't too bad at the moment as its mainly caused by big bumps and high cross wind. Since I'm sitting on the leather instead of staring at while I drive, I forget about the saggy seats.

As long as they can fix the chirping, I'll be a happy camper (for now)!
Old 10-17-2003, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

The dealer tightened both the driver and passenger doors. I have not been able to hear the noise since.

I hope this solves the problem.
tazmania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2003, 01:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Its not the shocks

The dealer replaced the shocks and claimed that the chirping noise problem was fixed. As soon as I drove it off the shop floor and onto the highway, I could clearly hear the noise. I know they did not test drive it. And I have no way to prove that they actually changed the shock. Either way, back to the shop it goes.

I now have another noise coming from the driver side dash. Its more like clicking and is caused by bumps, usually at slower speeds. However, it doesn't happen all the time.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Pilotgal
Default dash sound

Is the strut the same as the shocks? . I had that sound and they replaced the strut. The sound has been gone now for the last month.
Pilotgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2003, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: dash sound

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilotgal
Is the strut the same as the shocks? . I had that sound and they replaced the strut. The sound has been gone now for the last month.
I was sort of wondering the same thing. They described it as a shock problem, but on the work order it stated that they replaced the strut. I asked the service guy and he said it was the same thing.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Passenger Door and Hood Adjusted

Nope, the problem is still not fixed . As soon as I got it up to highway speeds the noise was unchanged. And everytime they call me to have the car picked up, they claim the noise problem is fixed. This will be the 4th time I take it back for this problem. Its already been in their hands 7 days.

Not going to quit until they get it right. I've worked with 3 different service advisers (as soon as I pull in, someone new seems eager to help). I'll stick with one going forward. And to top things off, the window shield had a mysterious residue on it that wouldn't come off with the windshield wiper and fluid. It can't be good for the paint either.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default I have a new noise

They introduced a new rattle that is coming from the passenger door. They also left oil/grease on the windshield and hood. Can you believe it?

Is this typical Honda quality/service?
Old 11-05-2003, 10:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wink Problem Solved - Poor Weld Point

At least I hope so. The ambient temperature was 60F when I test drove it and the problem is noticeable above 70F. I'm just excited to get the Pilot back and will keep my fingers crossed til the weather warms up.

The dealer had the Pilot for a week and a half, but was able to eventually fix the various noise problems. They fixed the chirping noise, the door rattle that they introduced from my previous visit (Rick was not the service manager during the visit), and they detailed it inside and out. I am very pleased with the customer service provided by Mr. Rick Deeds, the service manager at Hopkins Honda in Sunnyvale, CA. He re-assured me that the problem will be fixed, had his top-gun technician "Ed" solely focused on my car, and provided a loaner car with no questions. I've been driving a Civic loaner in the meantime. A peppy car but not nearly as nice as the Pilot. He understood my frustration (car only had 500 miles when I took it in) and was determined as I was in fixing the problem.

They found the chirping noise to be caused by an imperfect weld on the inner right fender panel. They had to remove the windshield to get to the spot. Additionally, they used chassis ears to narrow down the problem area. They sealed the gap to eliminate the wind noise. They didn't provide any details about what they did to fix the passenger side door rattles.

Its an amazing feeling to finally have a car that does not make unnecessary noises, but you'd expect that for a new 30K+ car. For those of you that still have various noises, I feel your pain. Don't lose hope, keep at them and make them care.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Angry

I have the same chirping sound on my less than a month old 2004 PILOT. The symptons are exactly same as practicaldad.
I have an appointment with the dealer on 18th of this month. I am going to print this entire page and bring it to my dealer.
I hope they fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: