Whistling noise at high speed - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-24-2002, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Whistling noise at high speed

Here is my SS PILOT problem:

When the speed is above 70MPH, some weird whistling noise comes from the front. The faster, the louder.

I went to a dealer and let them look at it. The guy spent about 5 hours on it, but did not find the root of the noise. They will look at it again next week.

Does anyone else has the similiar whistle problem?
pecospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2002, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to r_hammel Send a message via AIM to r_hammel Send a message via Yahoo to r_hammel

I've not noticed it, but then I almost always have the radio on and the A/C going. I will listen again on my way to work tomorrow. But I would have thought that I would have heard it at some point. I would judge that about 1300 of my 2700 miles have been on the interstate. And most of that has been 70+.
r_hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to GLJones

I already started a thread on this earlier in the week.
GLJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

hi, GLjones

I've read yours, but my problem is a little bit different from yours, the noise is alway there if it is 70+ MPH, it doesn't matter whether you turn on or off your AC recirculate.

I'll let you guys know next week if the dealer can find something.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to GLJones

Mine is actually there on "fresh" setting, it is just much louder on "Recirculate."

Does your noise come from the AC vents? Mine definately originates in there somewhere.

I am betting a seal or gasket on the fresh air vent door is missing, damages or misinstalled.

I will post the dealer's comments and solution when I get it.
GLJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Smile Update!

My whistling noise was gone.

Here is what the dealer found: "Joint in body under intake cowl is leaking air into vehicle." They sealed the body, the noise was gone.

Old 08-06-2002, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Update!

Quote:
Originally posted by pecospilot
My whistling noise was gone.

Here is what the dealer found: "Joint in body under intake cowl is leaking air into vehicle." They sealed the body, the noise was gone.

Thanks for posting the resolution pecospilot. Glad you got that resolved. What is "intake cowl" anyways ?
03pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

My unit whistles at highway speeds while in the recirculation mode. This is not uncommon as fresh air must be allowed to enter the vehicle for safety and liability reasons. I have looked at the service manual and believe the linkage can be modified to stop this by closing the door completely or allowing it to open slightly more. I tolerate it as I feel that I am saving fuel as I can run fairly long periods without the compressor on. The linkage is behind the glove box and should be easy to get to.
BPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Whistling noise? sounds like wind noise?

I have a similar problem. This noise starts at about 35mph and gets slightly louder as speed increases - but then with the road noise, it drowns it out a bit. It can be a bit irritating because it is a constant sound... almost sounds like an air conditioners compressor running? Is this the sound? I am going to have the dealer look at the "intake cowl." I hope that solves it...Thanks pecospilot for finding out what this sound is...I hope I am describing the same sound?
nckevpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

By intake cowl, I'm assuming that they are just referring to the fresh air intake for the cabin. I would expect this to be down one of the sides of the engine compartment. The service manual should show this pretty clearly.

Btw, where did you get the service manual Bill? I saw in another thread where they were listing out about 5 or 6 manuals as a set. Is this true or did you get everything in one manual? If you don't mind, I would also be interested in where you got it and how much you paid for it. Thanks in advance!

Chris
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Manuals

All the different manuals are for dealer training.
All you need is teh Service, ETM, and maybe Boby Repair.
This is teh same as all other Hondas.
The ETM is not available yet. (buy an unspecific "soon" from Honda customer service)
Old 09-13-2002, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Location: Huntsville, Alabama, previously Heidelberg, Germany

I seem to have the same problem here. For example, at 55MPH and 1500 RPMs with no radio, you can here whistling. It seems to be speed related and not RPM related. It goes away with engine noise and/or road noise. Have not tried the recirculation trick, but I did turn off the climate control to see if that had an effect. Other than having noticed it, it is not too annoying. The bright side of this is that this is the first truck I have had that runs quiet enough to even let you notice the little things like this.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
but still kickin'

Send a message via AIM to Older than dirt
Default Manuals

Helm prints manuals for many new automobile manufacturers. They have a number available for the new Pilot. I purchased the Shop/Service manual and the Electrical Troubleshooting manual. These are bound versions of the loose leaf versions you will find at nearly every dealership. In addition, they sell training manuals and CD'scontaining training information. I have piurchased a full set of their manuals with every new Honda and found them detailed and accurate. The only thing missing curently is detailed information on dealer installed options; Helm normally publishes a supplement for these at the direction of the manufacturer - so far, no word on when this will happen. Have at it...

Helm Incorporated
2003 Honda Pilot Taffeta White EX-L RES Air Deflector, Fog Lights, Rear Splash Guards, Rear Back-Up Sensors, Auto Day/Night Mirror, all interior wood grain options, Separation Net, WeatherTech® Advantage Carpet Mats, WeatherTech® Cargo Liner, AutoShade Ventvisor® Wind Deflectors and 70 MPH vibration!!!
Older than dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 02:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default I have a similar problem

that I posted about in the problems section. I just discovered it; but had no one else in the car to help locate. At first I thought it was A/C vents; but didn't seem to matter what setting I used on the outside, recirc, hot, cold, etc. It sounds more like the outside air passing over or into a protusion or opening. It's almost like sticking your fingers into your mouth to whistle. It does seem to have some relevance to how hard and from what relative direction the wind is blowing. I'm going to make a concerted effort to try to locate this weekend before I even try to have the dealer find.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Found the problem

I too was experiencing a whistling noise at +70KM. I noticed that some rubber molding around the lower passenger front window was not inserted properly. When the wind caught it, the whistling noise would start. I just firmly placed it back in it rightful position and the noise went away. It seems that every time I went through a car wash the drier at the end would blow the rubber strip out of position.

Hope this helps!!!
grmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: