No Heat, 2006 Pilot - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default No Heat, 2006 Pilot

Hi - I am hoping you can help...

Recently the heat stopped working in my 2006 Honda Pilot EX. The blower works but it just blows cold air. So we took it to a trusted Honda/Acura shop and they thought it could've been a number of issues. They tested the thermostat, mixing doors, they flushed the system and eventually they ended up replacing the head gaskets.

From the bill they replaced; 2 Head Gaskets, 1 Water passage gasket, 2 cam seals, (2or1) exhaust gasket, coolant, spark plugs, 1 dive pin, and wrap(? cant really read bill on that one), filter. They claim there are no blockages anywhere and that the correct hoses are, "getting hot" and that mixer is functioning

Ultimately the heat in the cabin still does not work. They are telling me that the block has a microscopic crack and that is the reason for the not heat situation.

Could it be something other than the block? Perhaps the Climate control module - could they have missed checking that??? Basically they are saying I need an new engine to correct the problem. They claim they've seen just once before some years ago on a Civic.

I am happy to provide any further information I can. The car looks to be a loss if I can't get this fixed.

Please help?!?!?
hondashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

When you asked for a full refund, how did they reimburse you?

If the proper hoses are "getting hot", then hot coolant is getting into the heater core. The problem lies within the HVAC controls, either mixing door, or something with the air distribution.

Yes, a bad head gasket could allow air to enter the cooling system, which would prevent the heat from working properly.

Were the heater hoses getting hot before the work was done?

Sounds like they mis diagnosed this one and expect you to pay for their mistake.

Search this forum, there is a nice write up about the cable operated valve located in the heater hose near the fire wall. There is a screw that loosens up over time, causing the valve to stay closed, not allowing hot coolant to travel into the vehicle.

It's very difficult to get to, but tightening the screw has solved many " no heat" issues for people here.

Good luck.
2010exl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Refund

They weren't thrilled - and while I didn't receive a refund, they are using the money I did end up paying as a credit for our other Honda and any other Honda service we may use them for in the future.

They are really a great shop and I have been using them since the late 90's - but this issue is frustrating.

I am taking the car tonight to a dealership, I guess for a second opinion - blindly though- I am not going to mention any of the work I had done previously.

I hope its a simple (and less costly than $3800 for a new engine) remedy.
hondashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know much about this stuff but I know years ago I had to have my " heater box" replaced in my Chevy van that was located in front of the passenger seat. This lack of heat should also keep your front defroster from working which could end up being a potentially dangerous situation ( I had to use/ keep on-hand a spray-on de-icer for a short period of time. Then it turned out years later, not sure if it was related, that I guess my anti-freeze and oil somehow mixed and caused other issues.

Call around and find someone who knows what the problem may be. I find it odd that there is no one at your shop who has experience/ others ideas how to fix this.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

" no heat in front console"

Use the search feature here and read this entire thread.
2010exl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: