ABS, VTM-4, VSA indicator lights - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default ABS, VTM-4, VSA indicator lights

We ran over a piece of a flat tire on the interstate over the weekend and it made a pretty good 'clunk' underneath the car. Right after it happened the ABS, VTM-4, and VSA indicator lights lit up on the dashboard. I pulled over and inspected the underside of the vehicle, but couldn't see any damage. We drove 300 more miles without incident.

I will be taking it to the dealer to have it looked at, but wanted to hear from any other members who may have had a similar experience. I have a fear I will be paying several hundred dollars for a diagnostic test and replacement of sensors, without any 'real damage' being idenftified or fixed.

BTW, the vehicle is a 2005 Pilot EXL with 79K miles. Brake pads were replaced and new tires installed a few months ago.

I appreciate any help/comments. Thanks!
hamey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Some wiring was probably yanked on or damaged. The lights mean that codes were thrown in the ECU. You can retrieve them yourself, or pay the dealer to do it for you. Here is how it's done:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg!
Just grab a paper clip and read the codes yourself. Stick the paper clip in the DLC by the drivers right knee (as shown in this picture). If you put the clip in the wrong holes, you will instantly blow the alternator fuse, so pay close attention. Then switch the ignition to the "ON" position and watch all the lights start blinking. Long blinks are 10's & shorts are 1's. Just add them together to get the code for that light. If there is more than one code stored, they will be separated by a break between blinks:

This link has the definition for all check engine light blink-codes:

K20Tuned LLC*::*DC5/EP3 Codes

This one defines the VTM-4 light blink-codes:

http://rsgear.com/articles/2006_12.pdf

And here is a link to show the Transmission "D" light blink-codes:

flashing shift indicator

Write down all your codes and come back to THIS thread and let us know.
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Willing to bet that the ABS sensor at the wheel is either out if spec or damaged.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I tried to pull the codes tonight. VTM-4 code = 23 and ABS code = 17 (both point to left-rear wheel sensor). Also got an ABS code = 68, not sure what that is.

I guess I will take it into the dealer to see what they say. Does anyone know of a reliable/honest independent Honda mechanic in the Kansas City/Overland Park area? In the 17 years I've lived here the only auto work I've had done was covered by warranty, so I went to the dealer since I wasn't paying out of pocket.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

You could just slide yourself under there and inspect things for yourself first. Chances are that sensor wire was damaged. If you could find damage, you could have a friend that knows how to solder repair the wires for you. It's worth a shot before replacing the sensor.

This picture shows the left rear suspension exploded diagram. The ABS sensor is the long wire. It will run from the chassis across the control arm to the hub. Shouldn't be hard to spot as it's the only wire harness on the suspension.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Crawled back under but couldn't see any visible damage, loose wires, etc. I do see the black marks where the tire hit the protective metal cover in front of the gas tank, but again I can't see any loose or damaged wires.

I'll take it in to the dealer. That will make my wife feel better. It's her car. I'm glad she was driving when it happened so I don't have to hear about it. :-)

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Don't tell dealer you ran over something. Then it's a warranty job.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

The dealer replaced the left-rear wheel speed sensor. Not covered under warranty.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

At least the problem has been fixed!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to samc

To hamey above what did the speed sensor repair cost you? I had this problem today and I think my car should be under warranty. But wanted a dollar figure just incase.

I did the blink codes above and it showed 22 which is the front-right sensor. But I didn't see any damage. Is this the right part? Picture was taken looking down into the back of the hub.

edit: sorry I just realized my picture is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
ABS, VTM-4, VSA indicator lights-photo.jpg   ABS, VTM-4, VSA indicator lights-photo-1-.jpg  
samc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Can't you file an insurance claim since it was road damage? Assuming you have the coverage.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to samc

Ok so got my car back from Honda. It was indeed the front-wheel abs sensor. Thanks to 94eg! for his post on how to read your vtm-4 flashing codes. Not sure what the sensor cost but it's good to have my car back to normal.

On a side note, never goto the dealership "Bayridge Honda" in Brooklyn, NY.
Why? They tried to tell me that the vtm-4 light was on because my car needed vtm-4 fluid. I changed that fluid myself about 13k miles ago (internval is every 30k) and if I didn't do my own maintenance then they would have probably billed me for a $100 fluid change that I didn't need. It's funny how they changed my abs sensor and all the warning lights simply went away, including the vtm-4.

Also they did not wash my car. This dealership is known for car washes with every service yet my pilot wasn't washed because it was a warranty repair and the bill was $0.00. And they left dirt all other my hood and roof of my car, I imagine my car was parked under neath another one (they use parking style lifts). I know it's a pretty minor detail but after searching I found out they screwed other customers in the same way. Just trying to give a heads up to anyone living in New York.
samc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks to 94eg! I followed exactly your recommendation about the diagnosis procedure ( the blink code ) which showed 21 - L front wheel. Then, I purchased the OEM part online( ABS wheel speed sensor - front LEFT ) and installed it myself. All the lights that were constantly lit, they just immediately went away. To 94eg! thanks again !
domino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: