Radio buttons unresponsive on 2010 EX - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Radio buttons unresponsive on 2010 EX

I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this before I take it to the dealer. I have a 2010 EX (53K mi). NONE of the buttons on the face of the stereo work, except for the volume and tuning knobs. I can't even turn it off. The system still works through the steering wheels controls, and I can use the AUX input. I just cant use presets or make any adjustments or set the clock. Very strange.

Has anyone experienced this?
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have had this issue several times. All controls except volume and tuning go out. Only the left third of the display work. I can't tell temperature for driver side or see clock.

After driving about 20 minutes the display comes back. Then I restart and controls come back. Everything functions fine through voice control and steering controls. It never does it long enough to get it to the dealer and doesn't seem like a loose cable.

I have a 2011 Touring with 32000 miles.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Time for warranty replacement. Though I would be tempted to pull the fuse(s) for the radio and see it it resets.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
TR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedigital View Post
I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this before I take it to the dealer. I have a 2010 EX (53K mi). NONE of the buttons on the face of the stereo work, except for the volume and tuning knobs. I can't even turn it off. The system still works through the steering wheels controls, and I can use the AUX input. I just cant use presets or make any adjustments or set the clock. Very strange.

Has anyone experienced this?
I am having the same exact issue with my 2009 EX-L. I'm hesitant to pull the fuse to see if theat clears it up, since I'll lose all my station presets and won't be able to set them again.

Has anyone been able to fix this?
TR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well, it sounds superficially like it might be an unplugged or loose ribbon cable going to the 'keyboard' for the radio, if you're feeling especially handy, you could try pulling the radio out, taking it apart and very carefully re-seating any relevant connectors.

This is easier said than done, you do need to be thoughtful and gentle, the ribbon connectors can be very fragile. You might make it worse, but by the sound of things, you're already about as worse as you're likely to get.

I've had luck in the past pulling a factory CD/Tape/Radio out of a 2003 Explorer and kissing all the solder joints on the board with a flux pen and a soldering iron. Sorted out what must have been a dry solder joint between the preamp and the amp. Said radio is still working just fine 7 or 8 years later, being driven around by my brother in law, so these rather unlikely sounding fixes can work just fine. Of course, the distortion would never act up for the dealer so I ended up fixing it myself while it was still technically under warranty.
theirishscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Time for warranty replacement. Though I would be tempted to pull the fuse(s) for the radio and see it it resets.
Yup, that'll be under warranty.
I would save time and energy and let the dealership do the work.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOne View Post
Yup, that'll be under warranty.
I would save time and energy and let the dealership do the work.
Ya, I was sort of assuming that if he's asking on the forum, it's presumably out of warranty. I have a 2011 and I've only 3000 miles left on my factory warranty.
theirishscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirishscion View Post
Ya, I was sort of assuming that if he's asking on the forum, it's presumably out of warranty. I have a 2011 and I've only 3000 miles left on my factory warranty.
Actually I only saw the year and didn't notice the mileage. My bad.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
TR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirishscion View Post
Yes, my Pilot is out of warranty. Thanks for the suggestion. I may give it a try.
TR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I too am experiencing this issue on my 2010 Pilot EX-L. I also once removed the key from the ignition and the chime that rings when you leave the key in the ignition with the door open kept going off as well. Has anyone had this issue resolved and if so what was the fix? My pilot is going to the dealer on Friday?
degnanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

well, i kept getting this problem on and off for a while on my 2010 Pilot EX-L until today I discovered what was causing the radio to become unresponsive. it is one of the 6 buttons (button #5) which was stuck pressed. when i released it everything went back to normal. i tried this many times and i get the same symptoms when any button doesnt get released.
hope this helps figure out your problems
tadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadj View Post
well, i kept getting this problem on and off for a while on my 2010 Pilot EX-L until today I discovered what was causing the radio to become unresponsive. it is one of the 6 buttons (button #5) which was stuck pressed. when i released it everything went back to normal. i tried this many times and i get the same symptoms when any button doesnt get released.
hope this helps figure out your problems
Thank you for posting this, i pushed the resets and this issue was resolved. I was ready to schedule an appointment.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Rogue Radio

I have also had this issue with my 2010 Pilot EX-L. I have had the door chime and the inability to turn the radio on and off sometimes. I brought it to the dealer when it was still under warranty and of course they found nothing. Now that the vehicle is out of warranty the radio is acting up again. Over the weekend I could not get the radio to come on because none of the radio buttons worked. The only way I was able to get it to work was to unload a cd then reload it. Once the cd would play I changed the mode via the steering wheel. That got the radio on however the buttons still did not work. At least I could hear something on my drive to work. This appears to be bigger problem. I am not taking my radio apart to fix this issue.
I am going to look for any stuck buttons on my radio the next time this happen. Has anyone found another solution to this?
degnanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Taillight fix

Had the same problem with my radio recently. Face buttons did not work, but the steering wheel buttons did. After reading these replies I tried them all. I had no stuck buttons and fuses were good. I replaced the fuses just to make sure, but still no fix. Although the screen did go blank, except for the clock. So now I am in worse shape than when I started. No "code" at all. I disconnected the battery, still blank. No way to input the code. Vehicle is not under warranty. Had given up and was preparing to call the dealer when my daughter noticed the right rear taillight was out. Lo and behold it was. Replaced the light, at least I could fix something. As I was driving to the dealer I pressed the ON button one more time and the "code" popped up. I quickly input the code and the radio was back to normal. My question - what are the odds the taillight was the problem all along?
cargo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have the same problem right now on my 2010 EX/L RES (out of factory warranty).

Couple weeks ago, I couldn’t turn the stereo off, and presets and other buttons on the stereo didn’t work, but volume worked and the steering wheel buttons all worked. I had a weak battery, and replaced that on Saturday, which cut power to the stereo and now I can’t turn it on – or set the clock! However, the eject button works. Makes me think it's whatever board/PCB has all the buttons mounted, but the ribbon cable is a good idea, too.

I’ll check for stuck buttons and lights out, but it’s interesting to see how many Piloteers are running into this issue.
titaniumlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: