2012 vibration from engine compartment - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2012 vibration from engine compartment

Just purchased a 2012 Ex and every so often there's a vibration from the engine compartment that only happens when the AC is on.

Anyone else experience this?
blacktwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

geez, 40 plus views and no one else has experienced or heard of this? I guess I'm taking a trip to the dealer asap...
blacktwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OH
Posts: 342
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

haven't noticed anything like that in my 2012. Have you looked under the hood and checked for anything loose (belt, bolts, etc.)?
__________________
2004 EXL 4WD, 2012 EXL+NAV 4WD
mudbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Hey blacktwelve, sorry to hear that. I just picked up my 2012 Touring on Thursday and a humming noise was coming from the engine when the ac is on. I told the dealer and took it in on Friday 11/11/11 and at first, I don't think they believed me, but after listening, they believe it's the fan. The noise and vibration only happens when the ac is cycling on. I'm bringing it back to honda tomorrow so they can fix it. The good thing about it is that five service techs heard the humming noise and two got in the vehicle to feel the vibration, so I didn't have a hard time convincing anyone. Hopefully, they get it fixed quick and no more problems! The service manager made a comment that it sucks that I have to give the car back after having it for one day! Let me know blacktwelve how everything turns out and I'll do the same.
peyton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

2012 EX-L > 1100miles > Mind numbing vibration @ hwy speed
__________________
2012 EX-L 4WD
2006 EX-L 4WD
1970 Cutlass Conv
1965 Cutlass 2dr
1965 Cutlass 4dr
Flyguy405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyton23 View Post
Hey blacktwelve, sorry to hear that. I just picked up my 2012 Touring on Thursday and a humming noise was coming from the engine when the ac is on. I told the dealer and took it in on Friday 11/11/11 and at first, I don't think they believed me, but after listening, they believe it's the fan. The noise and vibration only happens when the ac is cycling on. I'm bringing it back to honda tomorrow so they can fix it. The good thing about it is that five service techs heard the humming noise and two got in the vehicle to feel the vibration, so I didn't have a hard time convincing anyone. Hopefully, they get it fixed quick and no more problems! The service manager made a comment that it sucks that I have to give the car back after having it for one day! Let me know blacktwelve how everything turns out and I'll do the same.
ours was doing this EXACT same thing not long after we received ours...i had gone to pick up my wife at work & was sitting there waiting for a couple minutes (A/C on), when i hear a humming/whining noise...i asked the wife if she could hear it, but she's not very aware/in-tune when it comes to strange auto issues...i thought it was maybe noise from a guy nearby using a leaf blower...but as soon as i turned off the A/C, the noise stopped....i decided i would wait & see if it kept doing it....however, i haven't been driving it much lately since my wife uses it most of the time...temps here have cooled down as well, so A/C isn't really needed....i'm gonna re-check it though now that i'm seeing others with similar issues
__________________
2012 Pilot EX-L (2wd)
PM12EX-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Hey PM, I did mention in two or three other threads what the outcome was with my car. It turns out that it wasn't the fan, but the power steering container and filter. The filter was sent dirty from the factory and since power steering fluid couldn't get through the filter properly, the pump had to work harder to get through the filter (causing the humming noise). Honda replaced both the container and filter and sure enough, the noise stopped. Also, the slight vibration in the steering wheel stopped as well. I was worried that I drove the car for five days with the problem, but I was assured by service techs that this wouldn't have caused any damage to the power steering due to the short time of having the problem and low mileage ( 110 miles I believe ). A friend of mine thought that I should have raised hell about the factory possibly installing a used container/filter on the car. ( due to the parts problem due to flooding in thailand ).
peyton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lakeland FL
Posts: 17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Humming noise 2012 Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyton23 View Post
Hey PM, I did mention in two or three other threads what the outcome was with my car. It turns out that it wasn't the fan, but the power steering container and filter. The filter was sent dirty from the factory and since power steering fluid couldn't get through the filter properly, the pump had to work harder to get through the filter (causing the humming noise). Honda replaced both the container and filter and sure enough, the noise stopped. Also, the slight vibration in the steering wheel stopped as well. I was worried that I drove the car for five days with the problem, but I was assured by service techs that this wouldn't have caused any damage to the power steering due to the short time of having the problem and low mileage ( 110 miles I believe ). A friend of mine thought that I should have raised hell about the factory possibly installing a used container/filter on the car. ( due to the parts problem due to flooding in thailand ).
Thank you so much for posting about this! Mine is doing the same thing I want to cry everytime I hear it. The dealership already replaced the Power stearing pump...well It still makes the same loud noise. Finally got the service manager to take a ride with me today, he agrees there is a big problem but says he has to wait till the Honda representative gets back with him. I am so upset that I feel like they should be doing more??? Ill let you know how mine turns out. I did read them this thread and showed them the resolution with the filter but they still want to see what "Honda" says...
Joyfuljoy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Sorry to hear about that Joyful. My dealer's service department has been great!! No questions about the problem once they checked and heard the same noise. Fortunately, my problem so far has been fixed with the power steering compartment and filter being replaced. Hopefully they just try that next and it solves the problem. The frustrating thing with any of these problems is that these are new cars and one would hope that it would be years before any problems come up. Good Luck!!
peyton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: florida
Posts: 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default noise fro ac pilot 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktwelve View Post
Just purchased a 2012 Ex and every so often there's a vibration from the engine compartment that only happens when the AC is on.

Anyone else experience this?
i have exatly the same problem with my pilot ex 2012
sparky48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Just got back from the dealer. They agreed that there is a vibration (3rd time). We took a brandnew EX-L out and it has the same vibration at speeds between 65-80mph. The new one was actually worse than ours. I have a call into Honda to see what they can do to get this fixed. will post updates.

Last time it was in they replaced all 4 tires and did a RoadForce balance. Didn't change anything. Realigned it and now it pulls to the right. The new one pulls to the left.. Go figure. Not feeling the love for this vehicle right now.
__________________
2012 EX-L 4WD
2006 EX-L 4WD
1970 Cutlass Conv
1965 Cutlass 2dr
1965 Cutlass 4dr
Flyguy405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lakeland FL
Posts: 17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Hello Everyone,
Here is my update. Honda finally got back to my dealerships Service Department Manager. They agree that there is a huge problem considering they have had multiple complaints for the same issue in October 2011. Well My service department called and said Honda Engineers developed a new power steering pump to replace mine. Supposedly (according to my service dept.) This "new" power steering pump was sent to them and my vehicle would be the first Guinea pig. Well I just picked up my vehicle and guess what? It's still there!!!! I am so upset! They told me to drive it for a couple of days and call them on Monday. I feel like I am spinning my wheels here. Can someone tell me why they keep replacing the power steering(this is the second new steering pump installed) When if you turn the AC off during the noise it completely goes away. Turn the AC on, there is the noise. On and off every ten seconds or so. I am looking into the LEMON LAW. How many times do I have to give them to fix it? This is my third trip to the dealer for this problem. I havent even made the first payment yet. Please let me know if anyone else is continually having issues and are considering legal action. Thanks
Joyfuljoy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lakeland FL
Posts: 17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

definately agree NOT FEELING THE LOVE FOR MY VEHICLE EITHER...wish they spent as much time on this major issue as they did on their new commercial...hmmmmm
Joyfuljoy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lakeland FL
Posts: 17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyton23 View Post
Sorry to hear about that Joyful. My dealer's service department has been great!! No questions about the problem once they checked and heard the same noise. Fortunately, my problem so far has been fixed with the power steering compartment and filter being replaced. Hopefully they just try that next and it solves the problem. The frustrating thing with any of these problems is that these are new cars and one would hope that it would be years before any problems come up. Good Luck!!

Thanks Peyton
I just posted what happened with my dealership, Im at my whits end
Joyfuljoy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Well after reading this I must test my AC...... Lets see how it goes. Thank you all, I will update on this
alexkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Copyright 2000 piloteers.org. All Rights Reserved.