Wheel and Brake vibration - lower control arm bushing - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Wheel and Brake vibration - lower control arm bushing

2009 Touring
If you have what feels like warped rotors when braking, and possibly a vibration at interstate speeds, it could be your lower control arm bushing. Sometimes referred to as the "compliance bushing" by Honda.

This bushing contains fluid that if / when the rubber cracks, will leak out.

I had my rotors turned, and new tires at 75,000 miles but neither helped. The tire person noticed black oily fluid leaking from the bushing. It was enough to leave a spot on floor. It only leaked when the vehicle is lifted up and the suspension is hanging down.

I took the vehicle back several times for re-balancing, but the shake at 70 to 75 mph was bad enough that I couldn't read the letters on the steering wheel buttons (when not holding the wheel).

Searching on the web found that this bushing could be the problem. A mechanic on another site said the he had changed about 10 of these in the past 6 months. They redesigned the new OEM part, so that may be related.

I bought the parts and was going to do it myself, but that "upside down" ball joint requires a special tool. Took it to an alignment shop and they installed my parts for $130 for both sides. Now it is smooth and no more vibration when stopping. Picture of part leaking oil attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel and Brake vibration - lower control arm bushing-sep2011_-014.jpg  

Last edited by mobro; 10-24-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added year of vehicle
mobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

What year/generation pilot is this. My 04 has a completely different compliance bushing (that's not hydraulic). It's #11 below:

***edit: It looks like you have a ~2010 Pilot. The control arms are different. Sucky part is there is no part number listing for the #26/27 compliance bushings. If you can find the service bulletin that states the part has been redesigned, that would be a big help to people on this site wanting to swap theirs out. From the pics it looks like it would just take about 10 minutes to change out both with hand tools (if you remove the #14 bolt). Just remember not to tighten & torque that big nut in the center of the bushing until the car is back on the ground with full weight on the suspension (or you will tear the new bushings as well)...

Last edited by 94eg!; 10-24-2011 at 04:50 PM.
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

You are right, Gen2. I edited my post to include the year (2009) - The second picture is the one. The bushing comes installed into the assembly (26 & 27) A new nut came with it (25). I bought both sides because my independent "Honda Mechanic" buddy recommended it. He said there isn't a service bulletin on it.

The place where I got stuck was how to remove the ball joint between the arm and the "knuckle". The All Data procedure he printed for me shows using a this spreader tool to break it loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel and Brake vibration - lower control arm bushing-ball-joint-tool.gif  
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh so did you have to replace the whole lower control arm (#10 & 11)?!?!? If not, what was the part numbers for the individual bushings? I can see the whole LCA-assembly part numbers have been updated, but I can't find the part number for just the bushing.

As for that special tool, you can rent a more basic version at Autozone for free (deposit gets refunded in full). It's part of their 5-piece front end service set. I don't know if Autozone still has this set, because I bought my own for cheap on Amazon (~$20). You just have to be careful with this tool not to tighten it too much that it crushes the stud (even with the nut on it). If you feel you'r getting too tight and the ball joint is still not poping out, take the tool off and try again. Sometimes it pops right off the second or third time. There are still ways around it if the stud does get mushroomed so it's not the end of the world (if you have a Dremel).

5-piece front end service set from Autozone:

S&G 61900 Tie Rod lifter ~$20:

Last edited by 94eg!; 10-24-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here's what I found on a different Honda website (Hondapartsdeals.com):

#26 = 04513-SZA-010 - Bracket Front Compliance Set = $208
#26 = 51390-SZA-A03 - Bracket R Front = $99
#27 = 51395-SZA-A03 - Bracket L Front = $99

I'm guessing the first one is the updated replacement bushings being sold as a L&R pair since that part number just happens to be double the price. So if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for parts and what was your part number/s?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

94eg, I think the tie rod lifter pictured above would have done the trick. I did try autozone for the tool loan, but all they had was the "puller" types. I did not replace the whole arm, just the bushing which was already installed in that bracket. I bought the kit, both sides, paid $250 (including tax)
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I took my 2010 touring in to get the seat belt recall and they noticed that my right bushing was shot. They replaced them both under warranty. They said it is so common they check all pilots when they come in.

Also I totally thought my rotors were warped and needed to be turned because of exactly what you felt. When I touched the brakes on the freeway the steering wheel would shake. After they replaced them, the pilot brakes perfectly again.
Second row seat covers
Cargo cover
BYUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

After reading this went to check mine (2011 EXL 25,000 KM) and left one is driping oil. Will take it to dealer to claim.
desco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks alot Mobro and other guys , I also have a 2009 touring with the same problem .I took it in for the the seatbelt recall and asked to check the bushings .Sure enough one of them was busted ,they changed for free ,under warranty. Thanks again.
jaydel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

At 93,350 miles, we are apparently the highest milage 2009 Pilot our dealership has ever seen. I have been chasing this "warped rotor" issue since 40,000 miles, and today discovered that both front compliance bushings are shot (yet the dealer had the audicity to tell me the brake rotors we just had installed were warped and that's why I'm getting the shaking - not buying it). Of couse, we're out of warranty and our genious stealership didn't notice the issue before. They wanted to charge nearly $1k to fix it!

Is it just my wife and I that see this as defective parts and not a warranty issue? I had the wheel shake so badly coming down Highway 8 from Tucson to San Diego that I would call this a major safety issue and, perhaps, grounds for a recall. I think a well worded letter to American Honda on my law office letterhead may be able to ferret out Honda's position, but I'd love to hear other's input before doing so.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 05-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

^ That's a great idea. Honda needs to address this issue.

I have a 2009 with 39k miles (just out of warranty!) and just noticed over the weekend my left bushing is leaking. I don't have a shudder that everyone else is reporting but more of a thudding noise when I go over bumps.
ilovetacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
2bz

Grrrrr, I noticed a leaker on the left side but the stealer convinced me that these weren't hydraulic bushings. IDIOTS!!!! (me too for believing them). In the meantime I ordered replacement rotors but haven't installed them yet.

I guess I'll be ordering bushings and figure out the best way (not dealer) to install myself or get them done somewhere.
2bz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

One of the reasons I let go our 2001 CR-V.
The CRV's rear trailing arm bushing is just a (hard) rubber. The part is so cheap, but a pain to replace, based on what I read from the CRV forums. And it might need a special tool to remove the old one. The delearship charge a fortune, and another shop charge less but still a lot. Since it didn't bother me yet, I just left it that way.
When I sold it, I mentioned it to the buyer, he test drove it and was satisfied.

Glad to hear they'll take care of this for the Pilot under warranty.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Older thread this is, but I had the bushings replaced by the dealer, my 2010 have 31K miles so it was under warranty. The passenger side was leaking but I think I busted it because I hit a huge pothole; I also have all my rotors turned for $115 by Midas - no more vibration when braking.
blucrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
2bz

There is a service bulletin out for this item. The # is 09-077. I'm working with my dealer to get both of mine replaced (I'm @ 56k miles).
2bz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: