Spark Plugs. - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
JAK

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Spark Plugs.

Here is my Honda Experience. Everyone should know that some Honda engines are experiencing this and should not wait to change or tork their plugs until the recommended service at 105,000 miles because your Honda engine may fail you and you are stuck with the bill. The Spark plugs keep backing out and striping the threads in the head out. I have a 2005 pilot and it first occurred at about 70,000 miles. I bought an extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle to 125,000 miles. The warranty company did not want to pick it up. They even sent someone in to investigate the problem and said it was not logical therefore they would not pay for it. I made a call to my personnel friend I bought the vehicle through and he got it covered. They ended up putting a Helicoil in. When this happened I put in new plugs and a timing belt that was recommended at 105,000 miles. Now at 132,000 miles I am having the same issue on other cylinders. The dealership charged me about 600 to diagnose it. They put in new plugs and another ignition coil. Then they proceeded to tell me that I may need a new head on the paper work but verbally they told me that I need a new head and it would be about 2900 to do the work. We took the vehicle home and the same problem started the next day. I called Honda warranty and I asked them to tell me what was going on. They said this never happens and someone must have stripped my plugs out they offered me 200 in credit at a Honda dealership. I then called the Mechanic and asked him what the deal was? He said this is a common problem and he torks or changes his plugs on his every Honda every 30,000 miles. I said I would have done that but the manual says not to touch the plugs until 105,000. What I have determined is that Honda has defective heads in some of their vehicles and refuses to step up and acknowledge it. They should have a recall. I have followed the recommended service book on this vehicle and done service at a Honda dealership and they still won't do anything. I am not sure what I am going to do but I have to get it fixed. I may have to replace my engine. Other people have had this problem and had to replace the engine. This story even gets better because this is not common only to the Pilot because my sister bought an accord and it happened to her to at about 25,000 miles. Honda should offer a recall and fix the problem on the vehicles that it is occurring in. I will let you know how things work out when I take the vehicle in again.... If your vehicle is staling or the check engine light and or the VTM-4 light is on you may have a spark plug backing out.fficeffice" />>>
JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

After reading all these threads about spark plugs backing out, I decided to change mine early. I have an 05 w/ less than 69k miles, original owner. When I got to the rear center plug, it was noticeably easier to remove than the other 5 plugs. I wouldnt call it loose, but it definitely wasnt torqued down as tight as the others. I used the laser platinums as opposed to the recommend iridiums just to give them a try. Ive always gotten bad gas mileage so I figured a change couldnt hurt.

I also changed the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches and it fixed a "thud" when shifting into those gears at slow speeds and under very light throttle.

The pilots running great for now. Theres a couple threads that have popped up about the radiator failing and mixing coolant and atf that have me a little worried but Ill figure out what i want to do about that when I do the timing belt/WP next year.
GreenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had a GM product prior to buying my Pilot and a Service Advisor at a GM dealership (who actually was a "retired"licensed mechanic) told me that the manufacturers are all insane with these plug change intervals.

He told me the trouble the techs have getting the plugs out was ridiculous. He said getting spark plugs out that have been in the heads for 4 0r 5 years is a nightmare.

He strongly recommended to forget what GM etc say and service the plugs at 30,000 Kilometre intervals.

Not necessarily change them but at least remove , inspect and re-install.

Since that conversation, other techs I've spoken with have reinforced that belief.

I changed my plugs at 100,000 Kilometres (60,000 miles) . They are removed and inspected every 30,000 or so.

To hell with what Honda "Recommends"
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
JAK

The only reason I have not changed or checked the plugs was because of the 125,000 mile warranty. I was told by the warranty company and the dealer not to do anything or it would void the warranty. I bought an extended warranty and followed the recommended service intervals at a higher rate at the dealership and I am stuck with a vehicle that needs a new motor. Do not ever buy an extended warranty or follow the recommended service interval is what I discovered. The money, hassles, and overpriced service fees I paid could have bought me a new engine. Honda screwed me. Don't let it happen to you. fficeffice" />>>
Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

^
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
JAK

Here is my follow up. Honda Technicians do not know what is going on. Or this is a big Honda Scam. I took my Pilot to a mechanic that I have known for a long time. He looked at and told me it needed a Valve Job. (Adjust the valves) He also said that the plugs were only hand tight in the heads. Never Torked when Honda changed them! After he was all done with the tune up it cost me 671.00. HE said the valves were probably not set correct at the factory. Now it runs like a dream. Here is the Kicker. He said there was no heilicoil in any of the plugs. When Honda claimed they did one. I am Not impressed with HONDA Service. They were going to put new heads in and the starting cost was 2900.00. This will probably be the last Honda I own because the service sucks. I would not recommend getting an extended warranty when you buy a Honda they will not honor it. fficeffice" />>>
Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to samc

I checked all my plugs about 5k ago which was like 61k miles, they all looked fine and maybe one was a bit more loose than the others. I don't think it's a bad head problem but just the idea of 105k miles and plugs becoming loose due to vibration. Really this can happen on any vehicle let alone a honda.

But thanks for the headsup, certain makes you want to change the plugs early for a peace of mind. Just gotta go buy a torque wrench (finally...) and I'll be all set.

Edit:
For simplicity.

My car uses those NGK IZFR5K-11. 13 ft/lbs tightening and someone said a factory gap of 0.039-0.043.

Last edited by samc; 06-23-2012 at 08:08 AM.
samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: