Question about loud road noise and tire cupping - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Question about loud road noise and tire cupping

Hello,
I have a 2007 AWD Pilot with about 110K miles on it. Iím now on my second set of tires (the first set was Bridgestone, the ones I have now are BF Goodrich). Iíve gotten such excessive wear on the front driverís side that Iím now in need of a replacement for at least that one tire, and I also get horrendous tire/road noise.

My Honda dealer looked at it, and discovered that I have cupping on that tire, and they say this is whatís causing the road noise. I asked the Service guy why that one tire is cupped, and his reply was that ďsome brands just cup versus other brandsĒ (these are BF Goodrich tires). He also tells me that needing a third set of tires on a truck with 110K miles is not excessive because Iím driving around on truck weight, not a carís weight. To me thatís an evasive answer, and I suspect that something about my suspension is causing the cupping to occur.

My question is this: do some brands just cup on their own? Or is there something specific thatís screwed up with my Pilot that needs to be looked at? Is needing a third set of tires at 110K excessive, or is that normal?

Iím really losing faith in this dealerÖ.
jwhangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think the suspension needs to be checked. Some cheaper tires are susceptible to cupping but BFG makes a decent product. That being said you might possibly just have a bad one.
If there is excessive bounce from a bad strut that could definitely lead to this situation. If the strut is bad you'll need to replace the other one also. Get a second opinion and keep us posted.

WEATHERTECH* Floor liners and cargo liner (Direct Order).
CURT*Trailer hitch /harness/Transmission and Power steering coolers (etrailer).
OEM *Crossbars and rear splash guard (HandA).
OEM* Foglights (Ebay/yourkeylessremote).
DEI * 452t Automatic Door Lock Modification (Sonixelectronics).
MAXXIMA*M09300 Side Marker LED light Modification (Partssystems).
SEARS*16009 Oil Catch Can Mod (Sears).

Coffee ! Is The Planet Shaking or Is It Just Me ?
cofetym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tire cupping can be caused by a buncha reasons, the only one that I remember is the balancing tires was very important. Now this is from my heavy-duty truck suspension class though.. But I do not remember anything about cheaper tires though..
KEPDbIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can help with 90% of the problem - stop going to the dealer! With 110k, you should find a local specialty shop that is well known for handling Honda's, if you are not comfortable diagnosing and doing the work yourself. I assume you checked the alignment to start with. You can go to Sears and they'll give you the check for free. Get a printout of the results, and post them to see if anyone has any recommendations. The camber could be off, toe, etc. Tie-rods could be worn (inner and/or outer). With 110k, you may consider doing the struts. I just did mine with about 90k. Didn't have any leaks, just thought it was time to do them. I'm glad I did, the KYB's are very nice, much tighter feeling than with the originals.

Regarding tires, not all tires are going to last 50k-70k. Depends on the treadwear rating on the tire, how you drive, etc. I had the BF Goodrich LongTrail Tour on mine, they did get louder very quickly. I really didn't like them, and replaced them long before they would have worn out. Late last year I got the Bridgestone Dueler HL422 Ecopia tires. I have abour 9k on them, they have barely worn, and are dead quiet. Got them Road Forced balanced at Firestone - lifetime balancing and alignment on my cars, since I keep them a long time. I have 9, 12, 13, and 15 on the roadforce numbers. These were much lower than the numbers I had on the BF Goodrich. I also get slightly better mileage with the Bridgestones, an added bonus.

If you are planning on ordering tires from Tirerack, call the regional warehouse in Windsor Locks, and you can pick up the tires from them and save the shipping. I know they have the mounting equipment and RoadForce balancer , but I am not sure if they offer those services outside of ordering a wheel/tire package from them. I'm from that area, and still have relatives in the area. My father-in law picked up a set of the Bridegestones from that warehouse. He has a friend with a shop who mounted and balanced them, so he did not ask about Tirerack mounting services there.

Last edited by RonnieJ; 06-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.
RonnieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you are getting 50/60k out of set of tires, consider yourself lucky. I'd be going ape!

Come on down to our pebble-seal-coat roads here in TX. They are sandpaper to tires. My last set got 30k.

As far as the wear, even a tire that wears evenly can wear erratically at the end of its useful life. That is what he meant about the "some brands" comment.

Via Piloteers.org mobile app

2006 2WD Steel Blue EX-L with Navigation (RIP - 3/10/12)
--------------------------------------------------------
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
mmmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
xGS

Which model BFG tires do you have?

Have the shock absorbers ever been replaced?
xGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: