2006 Pilot engine hesitation & engine light is on - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2006 Pilot engine hesitation & engine light is on

Hello. I am brand new to this site and I would appreciate any help or insight that you guys can give me.

We bought a certified 2006 Pilot 2 1/2 weeks ago. It has 62,000 miles on it. Soon thereafter, we began to notice that the engine would have what felt like small hesitations or "missing" feelings while travelling on the freeway. These hesitations were always at cruising speed, not during accellerations. We do not get those feelings while driving on city streets at lower speeds. We have also noticed several times when we have started the Pilot when it is cold that the engine will sound like a diesel for a few minutes. This sound goes away within a few minutes when the car warms up. It does not make this dieseling sound on start-up consistently.

Last night while travelling home on the freeway, the engine light came on and the hesitation or "missing" feelings became much more frequent. We drove the vehicle straight home and today had it towed to the Honda dealership that we bought it from 45 miles away. Because we are within 30 days of purchase, we are required to take the Pilot back to where we bought it. Since today is Sunday, Tracy Honda won't even look at it until tomorrow, so I can't give any other information at this point as to error codes, etc., but I can supply those later if that is helpful.

I have read threads on this forum about the engine light going on on the Pilot, but nowhere in those posts did I see anyone mention that they actually felt engine hesitations or heard diesel-like noises, so I thought I'd make my own post and see if anyone has any insight.

Thank you so much for your help!

~Laura

Last edited by Laura H; 07-24-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Laura H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Please post the codes - what did the dealer tell you?

I used to live in Tracy - nice little town.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

My husband didn't get the code number, but the service tech at Tracy Honda said the code was for the catalytic converter. As for the dieseling sound, they discovered that the noise was coming from the timing belt tensioner. Evidently a bearing went bad and the timing belt wasn't being held tight which may also have been what was causing the weird roughness when driving at highway speeds. Interestingly, they did not replace the catalytic converter because they said that it was unusual for them to see that code come up by itself without any of the misfire codes, and now that they fixed the timing belt issue, the engine light is off and they are no longer getting that code. They test drove it for 20 miles yesterday and the engine roughness is gone and the engine light is still off. They kept it overnight so they can start it up from cold and make sure the dieseling sound is really gone and they are taking it on another long test drive to make sure the engine light stays off and the engine is smooth. I'm hopeful that this solves the problem. Thank goodness I bought a certified vehicle and this isn't costing us a penny!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to samc

Not for nothing, if they are saying the catalytic converter is causing the misfires then I would demand that get replaced with a new OEM one. I mean you paid for a warranty did you not?

But please do put up the codes and what the stealership did for their "repair."
samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

The only error code was PO405. We did see the printout. There were no other codes besides this one. They did replace the timing belt tensioner and that solved all the noise and feelings of hesitation or "juttering" that were going on. The service tech did say that even though the engine light is now off and the error code is not coming up anymore, we need to keep an eye out for that engine light to come back on. He said it can take up to 200 miles of driving before it will show back up once the code has been cleared if there really is a catalytic converter problem. If the light comes back on, they will immediately replace the part. Evidently, this is Honda policy, or so I'm told. We're hoping for the best!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nice write up. Congratulations on winning one. A rare issue that helps others that don't have the warranty. The Cat code would have been thrown by the screwed up timing causing raw fuel to hit the system (not good) however I doubt there is significant wear added to the Cat. That light should not come back on at this point.
1993 Mercedes 600SL

I am lost when there is no grease under my finger nails.
playstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: