Multiple Cylinder Misfire Codes - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Multiple Cylinder Misfire Codes

My '06 Honda Pilot has been popping cylinder 1 and 2 misfire codes. At one point I took it the the STEALERship and they said, well it is bad gas. They charged me about $230 to drain the tank and put new fuel in. Light went off again... I took it back and they told me it was the catalytic converter. It was covered under manufacturer warranty(thank goodness)... Light went off again. So I stopped taking it to the stealership and decided to change out the spark plugs myself(again finding spark plugs at rock auto for 1/3rd less than the stealership price) Light still goes off. Not sure what to do next. Maybe I was thinking it might be the coils? Anyone have any insight on this?
ajspencer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Same Multiple Misfire Issue

I'm having the same problem. Just bought a 2007 EX a week ago with 57,000 miles and one week to the day (approx 250 miles later) OBD2 shows misfires on all cylinders plus random misfire. Pulled 2 plugs and they look good. I bought this Pilot out of town, so I'll take it to the closest dealer tomorrow and hope I don't get the BS run around. Should still be covered under 60K warranty, so we'll see what they say. This wasn't what I wanted my first Piloteer post to be, but what can you do? I'll post service results here for the collective wisdom. This is a great site which weighed into my decision to buy a Pilot. Thanks to all.

2007 Honda Pilot EX
2WD (Dark Cherry "Pearl", Curt Hitch, Derale AT/PS Coolers)

Civil Servitude - A humorous look at work, family, and life!
JAXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maint Master

I don't know if it's related, but there is a TSB for misfire codes on 2WD with VCM 2006-2008 Pilots.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/atta...ed-a09-090.pdf
Kenwood DDX-812 with KNA-G510 Nav, Infinity 6022si door speakers, MTX 10" Subwoofer upgrade, Alpine SBS-05DC center with JPA460 power amp in 3 channel bridged mode. Rear camera and DTV converter box with second and third row monitor screens. Wired and wireless headphone adapters.
nsaspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default TSB 09-090 - Multiple cylinder misfires

Thanks NSASpook. I just found that TSB on this great site.This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having (multiple cylinder misfire codes). Taking to dealer this week, so we'll see if they suggest this TSB as potential problem or if I'll have to bring it up. Litmus test for dealer service quality? Will post back afterward. Thanks to all.

2007 Honda Pilot EX

Last edited by JAXN; 02-06-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Same problem with the misfire

Just bought a certified pilot 3 weeks ago and engine light started coming on for 2 days in a row, would stay lit and then go out. Comes on about every days. Took it to the dealer last week and got misfire codes. They said that everything is fine, I got the misfire codes because of all the work that was done on it before they listed for sale. Just got it again this weekend. I took it in today and they said that even though the car is certified the valve adjustment is not covered and the charge for adjustment is $390. Sounds a little steep to adjust a valve. They did the software upgrade for free. Whuppee! Doesn't it seem like this should be covered under the certified warranty?

Anyone else have any experience with this problem?
samir1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My first stab at this is to question whether the battery is the original. Some 06s still have them in-by now any factory fitted battery in an 06 is well past its sell by date-07 to for that matter.

There are so many electronics in cars that they really don't like poor voltage etc.

Someone else new to Pilots said their 30k Pilot was causing problems and a valve adjustment was needed-this was in the last day or two. Pure BS. Nothing is needed there until 105k and even then may only be a check with no adjustment needed.

Last edited by Rocky; 02-07-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default TSB 09-090 - Cylinder misfire UPDATE

Update - Took my 07 into local dealer for service. I mentioned the TSB and asked them to look into it. They called me later that day and said they did the TSB service under warranty and it was ready to pick up. Pilot's back to running fine now and I had good dealer experience (first time in years!).

Question - would the TSB service still have been covered if I was over the 60K powertrain warranty? I've always been under the impression that TSBs were like soft recalls and that TSB work would be covered by the manufacturer regardless of mileage. Anyone have any experience with this?

2007 Honda Pilot EX

Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXN View Post

Question - would the TSB service still have been covered if I was over the 60K powertrain warranty? I've always been under the impression that TSBs were like soft recalls and that TSB work would be covered by the manufacturer regardless of mileage. Anyone have any experience with this?
Read this guy's opinion of the TSB subject. (lotsa links too)

Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

TSB's are really just cures for common problems with a specific vehicle. They may include mention of extending a courtesy to the customer if the warrany is expired, but it is not an automatic free fix for a car out of warranty.
2010exl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

I got the same problem.
2006 misfire cylinder #2.
willc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Did you happen to ask how much the service would have been? Getting the same codes popping up...of course I have 142k miles.....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXN View Post
Update - Took my 07 into local dealer for service. I mentioned the TSB and asked them to look into it. They called me later that day and said they did the TSB service under warranty and it was ready to pick up. Pilot's back to running fine now and I had good dealer experience (first time in years!).

auburnmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

my 06 came up a with a p0300 and a p0301-p0306 al at the same time. Basically all cylinders misfiring plus a random. About a week later the battery died. One of the cells burned out. I was seeing 10v at the battery.

Changed the battery and has not came back since
robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Im2c0oL Send a message via Yahoo to Im2c0oL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs View Post
my 06 came up a with a p0300 and a p0301-p0306 al at the same time. Basically all cylinders misfiring plus a random. About a week later the battery died. One of the cells burned out. I was seeing 10v at the battery.

Changed the battery and has not came back since
I hope my problem also a battery, I just got my pilot used at 80k and put about 1k on it. Yesterday it gave me all the codes, plus I installed HID + Amp & Aftermarket subwoofer. I did checked with the dealer that previous owner did replace the battery at 57k due to bad battery, so I hope it's the battery again, I'm gonna take some reading of the voltage.

RX330 AFS + TSX-R + Curve Shield | Hella Gen 3 55w | Osram CBI 5500k | Putco 2800k H11 Fog
Im2c0oL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Im2c0oL Send a message via Yahoo to Im2c0oL

Checked battery 12.42v so that's good, pour some seafoam to the fuel tank, cleaned the MAP sensor, and cleaned the engine bay with engine degreaser, stupid dealer spray some sort of tire dressing grease to the engine bay to make it looks good hiding all the dust to put up for sale! Going to go to Walmart to get a new intake filter also, the filter is super dirty with sticky black dirt kinda oily.

RX330 AFS + TSX-R + Curve Shield | Hella Gen 3 55w | Osram CBI 5500k | Putco 2800k H11 Fog
Im2c0oL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

The resting voltage might be fine, but it might not be able to hold that voltage under load. You need to get the battery load tested. Drive over to Autozone and they can hook up a load tester in the car and see if it's really good or not. If not, just buy their chap red-top battery. There is no good reason to spend a lot on an expensive battery as they all crap out at random times no matter what.

Newer Honda engine air filter have an oiled side (facing incoming air). The opposite side should be dry. This is called a 2-stage filter and helps trap more dust & dirt as they absorb the oil from the filter and become sticky (thereby grabbing even more dust). The Honda filter is superior to probably all aftermarket filters. Generally cheaper online. Discount Honda and Acura parts and accessories - OEM Acura Parts is a good source for Honda & Acura parts. Plus they have a half-off shipping coupon code "GALAGA".

Last edited by 94eg!; 04-03-2012 at 01:42 PM.
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: