Leaking Coolant Passage Gasket - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Leaking Coolant Passage Gasket

Found a bit of a surprise today. Lately I've been smelling coolant on the outside of the Pilot once it warms up. Tonight I decided to have a peak under the hood. It appears the coolant (water) passage gasket, as Honda calls it, is leaking where it connects to the block . I've been monitoring the coolant level, and it hasn't been dropping by visual inspection, but obviously I'm loosing some coolant. I've attached some pictures.

I think I'll tackle this job myself. If anyone has any input on what to look out for, it would be much appreciated.

Overall Bummer.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking Coolant Passage Gasket-img_3508-large-.jpg   Leaking Coolant Passage Gasket-img_3509-large-.jpg   Leaking Coolant Passage Gasket-img_3510-large-.jpg   Leaking Coolant Passage Gasket-img_3511-large-.jpg   Leaking Coolant Passage Gasket-water-passage.jpg  

dustino8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Had the same problem with my 05 Pilot this past summer. You will need two gaskets (front and back). Most likely, the front one is leaking. However, once you take apart the passage from the block, the back one will also come off and you don't want reuse the old gasket. Clean the surface very well (you may need to scrap off the old gasket and dry coolant residues). I had to do twice as after first quick chang, it was still leaking although much less.
Not a difficult job after all. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the input MinMet.

My coolant is almost due for a flush anyway (I have 180K kms), but I thought I'd do it along with the timing belt and water pump at 200K kms. Oh well, good to know its not that difficult of a job.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

@dustino8 - did you ever resolve this issue? I smell the unmistakable sweet smell of antifreeze when the engine warms up, and i checked the coolant passage gasket, and there are no signs of a leak there. no leaks from radiator, never any coolant on the ground...

just wondering if your coolant passage gasket repair fixed the issue, or if you're still smelling antifreeze.

2005 EX-L Billet Silver Metallic | 2007 EX-L Billet Silver Metallic
pilot_man_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_man_dan View Post
@dustino8 - did you ever resolve this issue? I smell the unmistakable sweet smell of antifreeze when the engine warms up, and i checked the coolant passage gasket, and there are no signs of a leak there. no leaks from radiator, never any coolant on the ground...

just wondering if your coolant passage gasket repair fixed the issue, or if you're still smelling antifreeze.
I started the job one day, and it was taking longer than anticipated, so I stopped and buttoned everything back up as I had a previous commitment that wouldn't allow me to finish (and the wife needed the Pilot the next day). I know the new gasket will solve the issue, as its very obvious from where its leaking.

You may have a very small leak that you can't see yet around the coolant passage, because as you know it is difficult to see in that area. I smelled antifreeze for quite a while before anything dripped down below.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

dustino8,
I just did this very same repair last Saturday. I would recommend replacing the water passage o-ring at the same time (item #18 in the diagram above). That water passage tube is simply pressed into the back of the passage you are removing. Once all the bolts were off and hoses removed, I had to give it a good wiggle and pull to get it to release. Personally, I also changed out the spring-hose clamps that I removed for the ones that are screw tightened. You can never be too sure how well they will hold/seal once they are removed.
The repair manual told me to remove the battery and the intake tube that connects the TB to the filter housing. I left the battery in place, but scraped the "s" out of my arms. It was a good 4hrs to complete.

Hit me up if you have any specific questions.

Eric.
ericw352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw352 View Post
dustino8,
I just did this very same repair last Saturday. I would recommend replacing the water passage o-ring at the same time (item #18 in the diagram above). That water passage tube is simply pressed into the back of the passage you are removing. Once all the bolts were off and hoses removed, I had to give it a good wiggle and pull to get it to release. Personally, I also changed out the spring-hose clamps that I removed for the ones that are screw tightened. You can never be too sure how well they will hold/seal once they are removed.
The repair manual told me to remove the battery and the intake tube that connects the TB to the filter housing. I left the battery in place, but scraped the "s" out of my arms. It was a good 4hrs to complete.

Hit me up if you have any specific questions.

Eric.
Thanks for the tips. I ordered the o-ring with the gaskets.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Does anyone know the p/n for the o-rings on the diagram #18?
sobebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobebomb View Post

Does anyone know the p/n for the o-rings on the diagram #18?
Go here: Honda Automotive Parts

In the select model box, choose 'Pilot'.

On the next page select your Year, Trim Level and Emission and Transmission Type,
followed by 'Water Pump - Sensor' in the System\Component box.

You'll get the diagram along with a list of part numbers.
xGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default water passage gasket replacement and o rings

This seems to be a very common problem with the 03-05 pilots. As a newbie to owning one of these, my pilot also suffers from this exact issue. As money is really tight these days, I want to tackle this job myself. Has anyone done this job and have step by step procedures they could post? Any assistance would be much appreciated. This is by far the best forum for the pilot I have found.
raceweather12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

How so???? I have an '05 with no such problems.... yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceweather12 View Post
This seems to be a very common problem with the 03-05 pilots.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
How so???? I have an '05 with no such problems.... yet.
Ditto
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceweather12 View Post
This seems to be a very common problem with the 03-05 pilots. As a newbie to owning one of these, my pilot also suffers from this exact issue. As money is really tight these days, I want to tackle this job myself. Has anyone done this job and have step by step procedures they could post? Any assistance would be much appreciated. This is by far the best forum for the pilot I have found.
somebody recently looked pretty deeply into this (perhaps checking the reports to nhtsa or ?) and determined that a majority of the issues reported were coming from the northern, ie, salted-during-winter states (including canada?).

sure, some of the northern folk here may not have experienced it yet, and, i am very ocd about my vehicles, but this one poster's findings set my mind at ease for the time being about my southern-owned car, but, nonetheless, i will replace my radiator in the next few months...
ahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for pipe O-Ring tip.
I'm about to replace the gaskets on the Water Passage Unit on my 2004 Pilot
as the front gasket is leaking (very slowly).
I have some questions you guys may be able to answer:
1) Does anyone know if there is any sealant required on these gaskets?
2) How many bolts are there securing the water passage unit?
I see 3 on the repair manual diagram but I'm guessing there must be at least 4.
4) Is it necessary to remove the EGR and sensors (that is remove hoses only) ?
I'm hoping there will be room to rotate the unit, for cleaning purposes,
without necessarily removing the EGR and sensors.

Thanks.
LightSqrBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: