Grinding noise - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Grinding noise

We have a 2003 Pilot with 149K on it. I have had a metal to metal grinding noise for the past few months and thought it was just brake noise. Its most noticable right when you let your foot off the brake and just let the car start to roll. It just sounds like the brakes dragging. I can;t say whether its coming from the front or back. Anyway long story short I had a local shop look at it and they said they found the noise and it needed brakes all the way around. Pads were groved and lipped over the rotors...... So I said do it.

Well the noise is still there. With the new pads and rotors I hear them rubbing when I press the brake and I know that noise will go away once the pads seat in good but the other noise is driving me crazy. I dont know if the emergency brake is draging or I'm hearing a wheel bearing or CV axle. I plan to take it back to him to check it out again but just wondered if anyone had experieced this. I know from my past experiece a wheel bearing makes more of a roaring noise and typically at higher speeds. The car drives fine and does pop or creek when turning. Just the grinding noise at very low speed 0-10mph just rolling. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Had a sneaky suspision that the tires may be causing my noise. So when I got home from work I over inflated the tires to get them off of the sides. The tires are almost ready to be replaced and show some weathering. Anyway after putting way to much air in them the noise was cut by at least 3/4. I let the air back out and the noise was back to the original level.

May seem strange (I thought so) but it makes sense. They squeak like crazy when you are outside next to the car while it rolls. I guess that noise transfers into the car and sounds like metal grinding. The noise from the tires while standing outside the car was quieter also.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am having the same problem with my 2007 Pilot. I just replaced all 4 brakes and rotors because of the griunding noise along with some warped rotors and the 1-8mph grind is still there. I was thinking that the noise might go away after the brakes seat themselves. I guess Ill just wait and see!! Hopes it is not the wheel bearings!!!
mroeseler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Question

I think I have the same problem as yours. Mine is also 2003 Pilot EXL. I don't have many miles on it, around 53K. Rear brakes and rotors were replaced not too long ago.

The noise goes away when I step on the brakes, or turning. It is also not there in the first few miles starting out. Sometimes I can drive for a while without the noise. It is annoying. I'd also want to make sure that it is not something critical.

Have you found a solution? I will try your tire pressure experiment.
dyhu76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Dyhu76, your pads are glazed. When you hit the brakes, hit them harder. Best if you can get some speed up and hit them hard (no one behind you please).
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

Rocky is correct, new brake pads and rotors need to be bed-in first.

Brake Tech - Brake Pad and Rotor Bed-In Procedures
Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just an update to my noise posted above. I had new tires put on and noise is gone. My suspisions were correct.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

What kind of tires were the old ones that were replaced? What brand are your new ones? Just curious....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: