Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

dealer says rat chewed chewed through wires

16K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Johnjk 
#1 ·
I just bought a used 2008 pilot with only 10600 miles on it. Everything had been great until Monday morning when my check engine light came on. I got gas on Friday and had not driven it until Monday, so I figured maybe it was the gas cap. I took it off and put it back on, but the light was still on. Took the Honda to the dealer since it's still got lots of warranty left. First, I was told it was probably the gas cap. Then they decided to check the codes and told me the wiring harness was damaged by rodents, and this would not be covered under warranty. When I asked how much money, they told me a minimum of 320 just for labor. They said they wouldn't know how bad the damage is until they got in there. I think the service manager could tell that I was in shock, so he brought the mechanic in and showed me a broken wire by the engine. My husband is a mechanic by trade (on Army tanks, though), so I informed them I would take it home for him to look at it first. We figured out that the broken wire is to the knock sensor. I have ordered the new part (cost $3.48 plus s&h). Does he have to take the intake apart or can he just move the power steering pump over and get to it? I've done some research and see both answers, but all the info is a few years old. Any help is appreciated.

#3 ·
Sometimes aninmal damage is covered under your homeowners as well. Check with your insurance company.

#4 ·
Homeowners insurance doesn't cover damage by pest or vermin. Also doesn't cover auto claims.

So N_Jay is right, auto insurance is the way to go.

What is a concern to me is the dealer's reluctance to give you a hard and fast price-he should know exactly which harness is damaged, and then from the parts manual be able to figure out the parts and labor time.

Call your agent. Get the appraiser involved in helping you avoid being ripped off

#5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I just didn't feel comfortable at the dealership. My husband was able to tell me immediately which wire was chewed and that it, at least, would need to be replaced. The dealer also mentioned insurance as a way to be reimbursed. He is going to replace the subwire on the knock sensor this weekend, and I will go from there. I was just hoping that he could get around taking the intake apart.

#8 ·
I'm on the same page with carguy07. Just from googleing the knock sensor looks like it has 2-3 (at most) wires going to it. Certainly the mouse wasn't the size of a cat so it couldn't have eaten up the wires entirely.

Can't you just trace it and repair/replace the damaged wire section?

#9 ·
The size of the rat/mouse is yet to be seen, but the wire is completely severed. It is broken right at the connector, making it all but impossible to splice. It is in such a tight spot to reach, I think it will be much easier just to replace the entire wire. The part is less than 4 dollars. Since we have only had the pilot about 3 weeks, my husband believed the damage must have happened sitting on the car lot. I had my suspicions, however, since the check engine light suddenly appeared. Today, I was not surprised to find new rat pills on top of the engine. Tuesday we had placed a glue trap and rat poison under the vehicle, and hadn't had any luck. Today we placed a glue trap on top of the engine. From doing my research, I find it interesting that this particular wire (knock sensor sub-wire) seems so tasty to rodents. I would like to add that we live in the city and have never had any rodent issues.:confused:

#10 ·
#13 ·
Had the same problem on my 04 EX-L w/Navi. They said that rats like to craw up and nest under that engine cowling. I noticed the problem when I drove down the street and notice that I was getting a light saying that my AWD wasn't working. I really noticed it when pulling out unto the main road when my front wheels started to break-loose from the wet roads and spin, this would never happen in AWD.
It cost me about $300 dollars to replace. The dealer said that it would be much more expensive if it was an Honda Van, but when the designed the Pilot, the made that section of the wiring harness removable.
Since then, I've stopped parking my Pilot under the tree (where I assume the rats were coming from) and bought one of those cheap rodent sonic alarms to put under the hood at nights when it got around freezing at night. No problems since.

#14 ·
Just wanted to give an update. The answer to my original question is: Yes, you can replace the knock sensor sub wire by moving the power steering pump to the side. You do not have to remove the intake to get to it. There is a catch, however. I don't think my husband could have done it without me--his hands were too large to fit into the tight spot. I had to unplug the old one and put the new one back on. My check engine light turned itself off after I made 3 trips in the pilot. Thanks for all of the replies.

Jamie

#15 ·
Thank you Maenzoe! I just had this knock sensor wire chewed by rat with code P0325 and the dealer quoted $540 to fix it. After reading your post I replace the knock sensor sub wire by moving the power steering pump to the side. Funny thing is my hand is too large to remove the plug inside and finally had my wife come over to pull it from knock sensor and install the new wire back there.

#16 ·
Rodent teeth are extremely sharp and there is not much you can put on your harness to deter them from chewing. There are some gels you can put on that contain poison, but do you want that dripping off on your driveway or having to worry about getting it on your skin? The tapes that I've used when cabling buildings may slow them down but they still take a bite or two and that is often all you need to sever a wire. The only thing I have found with putting cables in to areas with rodents that works is to run the cable inside metal conduit. Even metal braided cables do not work. Their teeth are small enough to go right between the strands. I've heard of people trying things like putting mothballs under the hood or putting lights in the engine compartment to drive them out. I've been lucky in that all my rodents have elected to just build nests in my air box and not lunch on components or cabling.

If you park in a garage, make sure that you remove all food sources. I store my bird seed and grass seed in small metal cans with metal lids. Chew proof. Seal holes that would allow them to get in to walls or insulation. I've seen a grown mouse go through a hole smaller than a quarter in diameter. Get rid of boxes, paper, foam, insulation or any material that may make a good nest. Parking outside is more of a challenge and that is where I've had the most issues with rodents trying to move in.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.