How to replace oil pan? 03 Pilot - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How to replace oil pan? 03 Pilot

Hi there!

Can someone tell me how difficult it is to replace my oil pan on my 2003 Pilot? I was just curious to see how much it would cost me to get it done at the dealer so I called... Got a quote for $850 (includes parts, oil change, alignment as they have to drop the sub frame, etc)... Part was around $200... What happened was I changed my oil today and noticed upon removing the drain bolt it was super easy to remove... Didn't think anything of it as there was no leak marks... But when I tried to reinstall the bolt it wouldn't line up... I stuck my finger in the hole and noticed threads were coming off! Damn shop stripped it!!! (went on a road trip out west and reached 112K kms oil change so I just brought it into a SuperLube (wait while they change shop)... So basically I'm screwed cuz they're a 30 hour drive away, plus how can I prove that they screwed up, right??? I'm pissed!!!

Anyways, Searched online and found that I can get the pan for just over $100 USD plus shipping... Looking at a picture of the pan online it looks like there's only 20 or so bolts holding it on, plus some silicone...

Anyways, if someone has a how to guide or a scan of the repair manual, that would be great!!!

Thanks!!!

PS - Wow, it's been awhile since I've been on here! Didn't know you guys changed the site name! CHEERS!

Red
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03 pilot oil pan.jpg (122.7 KB, 792 views)

Self-Installed Accessories - Rear Splash Guards, 4WD Emblem, Thule Rapid Railing Crossbars, HuskyLiner Front/Rear Floormats and Cargomat...

8) 8) 8)
redn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

For $1,000 I would just get an oversized plug or a piggyback oversized plug. It will work fine.

http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_p...ize_repair.htm

This would be an option too: http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html
carguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I can confirm that the subframe needs to be dropped as well as the exhaust. A dealer knicked the sealing surface of the pan and replaced ours on their dime. They also did a crappy job of it, forgetting one subframe bolt, leaving one of the exhaust flange nuts off, and not replacing 3/4's of the little plastic pins that hold the plastic "skid plate" on. Needless to say they got it back and I got some "freebies" for my troubles. The cheaper/easier way is as carguy07 recommends.
jl_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Easy Fix !!!

If there is enough room you can tap the threads out some with possibly a sparkplug thread tap fixing kit from Advance Auto. Then put the insert in and put a new plug in.

Even the local dealers should know how to do this. I would not change your pan.
CHADC880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Tapping the hole is a perfectly acceptable remedy, but the question I have is, how to insure you've cleaned out all the metal shavings the will probably end up inside the pan. I know the pump has a filter screen on it, but I'm pretty sure if you're going to tap the plug threads, you'd still want the pan off to clean it.

2004 Acura TSX (bunch of mods b/c its fun)

2008 Ducati 1098 R.I.P.
moda_way is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: