Wet passenger floors - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Wet passenger floors

Pleasantly surprised to find this site while searching the web for water issues in the Pilot. My 2004 is getting absolutely soaked under the front passenger carpet and discovered here I am far from alone.

My dealers response to my call was, since I am well over my 3 years 36,000 miles, I am responsible for hourly search and destroy costs. They acted as though this was the first time they are hearing of this issue.

Is there anywhere to generate a formal complaint to Honda, or anyone else, where owners can have this water leak work done under some form of recall or service bulletin?
whtabtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Wet passenger floors

Quote:
Originally posted by whtabtbob
Pleasantly surprised to find this site while searching the web for water issues in the Pilot. My 2004 is getting absolutely soaked under the front passenger carpet and discovered here I am far from alone.

My dealers response to my call was, since I am well over my 3 years 36,000 miles, I am responsible for hourly search and destroy costs. They acted as though this was the first time they are hearing of this issue.

Is there anywhere to generate a formal complaint to Honda, or anyone else, where owners can have this water leak work done under some form of recall or service bulletin?
First, you can call Honda at 1-800-999-1009 to start the esclate process.

And, here's the link for a TSB titled Floor Is Wet Below A-Pillar but it's for 2006 and 2007 Pilots. You can check to see if it's the same issue with your '04.

Good luck!
Larry.
larrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Larry, I called the Honda number, and they were sympathetic to my problem, but apparently they don't acknowledge any water issues in the Pilots.

They did assign me a case number, told me to get an estimate at the dealer, and then if I wanted, I could call back and be assigned to a case worker who would then deal with my issue on an individual basis.

Not holding out much hope, but I guess it's the only recourse. I have a feeling this is going to get expensive, noticed water on the driver side also.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Larry, I called the Honda number, and they were sympathetic to my problem, but apparently they don't acknowledge any water issues in the Pilots.

They did assign me a case number, told me to get an estimate at the dealer, and then if I wanted, I could call back and be assigned to a case worker who would then deal with my issue on an individual basis.

Not holding out much hope, but I guess it's the only recourse. I have a feeling this is going to get expensive, noticed water on the driver side also.
It's the seam behind the inner fender liner. I finally found it on my 2005, and on my friend's.

Jack the car up, take the tire off, remove the mud flaps and inner fender liner. You'll see an OBVIOUS seam in there. Buy a tube of seam sealer and seal it up (except for the very bottom, that will give water a place to go it a little gets behind there).

While you're in there, seal around anything else that goes in to the cab with a little window caulking to be safe (don't plug the end of the one drainage tube from the moonroof). Let it dry and reassemble. Also, wrap the one wire harness that enters the vehicle with electrical tape, 50 percent overlap.

I found mine by pulling the carpet back (you have to pull up the little door sill and kick panel) and shoving a cordless leaf blower in the corner. I turned it on and sprayed the entire area down with soapy water. That entire seam was blowing bubbles.

Vacuum out as much water as you can, pull the carpet back as much as you can, unhook the battery (make sure you have the radio code), leave the doors open (in your garage of course) and aim fans at the carpet to dry it out. If you don't dry it out, it will stagnate and begin to smell.

Same process for both sides.

I actually used deep well sockets to lift the carpet off the floor pan so air could get underneath.

I did this in a weekend. Seam sealer can be purchased for about 15 bucks a tube, the caulking was about 3 bucks.

Since then it has been in numerous Oregon rain showers.....and it's bone dry.
20Pilot05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the detailed info. Sounds like something that I would like to tackle on my own, but have to weigh in the weather factors here in NJ with no available garage to use and determine if I would have the cooperation of Mother Nature. Does this solution apply to driver and passenger sides?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info. Sounds like something that I would like to tackle on my own, but have to weigh in the weather factors here in NJ with no available garage to use and determine if I would have the cooperation of Mother Nature. Does this solution apply to driver and passenger sides?
In my case, yes.

Water that hits the windshield ran behind the cowl, behind the inner fender liner, right on that seam. That's how it was getting in.

When you get your inner fender liner off, you'll see that the seam has some corrugation to it, therefore it is wider at these points. When I sealed mine, I cut small opening in the tip of the seam sealer and forced some in to the larger openings until it oozed back out.

It's easy to do yourself, but you gotta do what you gotta do. It's imperative to get it fixed and get that water out of there before it becomes a bigger problem.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 20Pilot05

It's the seam behind the inner fender liner. I finally found it on my 2005, and on my friend's.

Jack the car up, take the tire off, remove the mud flaps and inner fender liner. You'll see an OBVIOUS seam in there. Buy a tube of seam sealer and seal it up (except for the very bottom, that will give water a place to go it a little gets behind there).

While you're in there, seal around anything else that goes in to the cab with a little window caulking to be safe (don't plug the end of the one drainage tube from the moonroof). Let it dry and reassemble. Also, wrap the one wire harness that enters the vehicle with electrical tape, 50 percent overlap.

I found mine by pulling the carpet back (you have to pull up the little door sill and kick panel) and shoving a cordless leaf blower in the corner. I turned it on and sprayed the entire area down with soapy water. That entire seam was blowing bubbles.

Vacuum out as much water as you can, pull the carpet back as much as you can, unhook the battery (make sure you have the radio code), leave the doors open (in your garage of course) and aim fans at the carpet to dry it out. If you don't dry it out, it will stagnate and begin to smell.

Same process for both sides.

I actually used deep well sockets to lift the carpet off the floor pan so air could get underneath.

I did this in a weekend. Seam sealer can be purchased for about 15 bucks a tube, the caulking was about 3 bucks.

Since then it has been in numerous Oregon rain showers.....and it's bone dry.
I sure hope this is the problem I've been having w/ my 2006 Pilot. I've brought it to my dealer twice already. The first time they claimed we must have driven it through deep water, and got our insurance to pay for drying it out. The 2nd time, I found the TSB and brought it to them, explaining that my Pilot still leaks and to troubleshoot it again. They again could not find a leak, but applied the TSB.

Now after this weekend's torrential rain, my carpet is wet again in my Pilot! I was not looking forward to bringing it back to my dealer for a 3rd time and be inconvenienced for days while they again try to troubleshoot it.

I'm so glad you posted your solution 20Pilot05, and am going to try it out this coming weekend.

A couple of questions, what exactly type of seam sealer did you buy? Brand? Is it something I can find at an Autozone/O'Reilley/etc.?

Thanks In Advance!
OliverHrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverHrdz

I sure hope this is the problem I've been having w/ my 2006 Pilot. I've brought it to my dealer twice already. The first time they claimed we must have driven it through deep water, and got our insurance to pay for drying it out. The 2nd time, I found the TSB and brought it to them, explaining that my Pilot still leaks and to troubleshoot it again. They again could not find a leak, but applied the TSB.

Now after this weekend's torrential rain, my carpet is wet again in my Pilot! I was not looking forward to bringing it back to my dealer for a 3rd time and be inconvenienced for days while they again try to troubleshoot it.

I'm so glad you posted your solution 20Pilot05, and am going to try it out this coming weekend.

A couple of questions, what exactly type of seam sealer did you buy? Brand? Is it something I can find at an Autozone/O'Reilley/etc.?

Thanks In Advance!
I think it was 3M. I got it at a local auto parts store, I think it was Knechts or Schucks. It was in a white tube, not much writing on it. If they don't have it, you can pick it up at a auto paint suplpy or body shop. It fit in a standard caulking gun.

Get it in those corrugations, then seal the entire seam, leaving it open at the very, very bottom so if any water does get it, it can get out. Be liberal with it. Spread it on with your finger (WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!) While you're in there, it might be worth while to seal anything that enters the cabin with window and siding caulking. Be careful if you do, one of those hoses is a drain for the moonroof that you don't want to plug.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks In Advance!
The leak in my 2006 Pilot was in the roof seam above the front of the passenger front door.
In order to see the water run in, I had to park the vehicle with the right front end down hill and run water over the roof above the passenger door -- the water ran in behind the passenger side fuse/relay box in the passenger footwell.

If they tell you Honda never heard of it, tell them to call the only Honda dealer in Tallahassee -- I found the leak in the roof at about 1700 miles and the Honda dealer fixed it.
2002 Ford Ranger Edge
VettePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by VettePilot

The leak in my 2006 Pilot was in the roof seam above the front of the passenger front door.
In order to see the water run in, I had to park the vehicle with the right front end down hill and run water over the roof above the passenger door -- the water ran in behind the passenger side fuse/relay box in the passenger footwell.

If they tell you Honda never heard of it, tell them to call the only Honda dealer in Tallahassee -- I found the leak in the roof at about 1700 miles and the Honda dealer fixed it.
Hmmm, the plot thickens...

That sounds like an easy enough test, I'll definitely see if that's where the water is coming in from. How steep of a hill did you park your Pilot? The only way I can think of testing for this is to park my Pilot down my driveway which is at a slight angle up to my garage from the street. If that's not steep enough, I could jack up the rear I guess.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Hmmm, the plot thickens...

That sounds like an easy enough test, I'll definitely see if that's where the water is coming in from. How steep of a hill did you park your Pilot? The only way I can think of testing for this is to park my Pilot down my driveway which is at a slight angle up to my garage from the street. If that's not steep enough, I could jack up the rear I guess.

Thanks!
Test from the ground up, not vice versa. Hit the seams behind the fender liner first.

I read about his problem and was convinced I had the same problem. I parked on a slant and ran water on the roof and duplicated the leak. I tore the a-pillar out as well as the headliner trying to find it.

Turns out, the water was running down the windshield, behind the cowl and directly on to the seam. The way it's designed it kind of directs water right on it.

In both cases, the water was entering the cabin from behind the fuse panel.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

What's interesting is that my floors don't get wet every single time it rains. Neither does it get wet when I run it through the carwash. From what you all are saying is the source of the leak, I should be getting water in every time shouldn't I? Could I have been getting water under the carpet every time it rains or run the Pilot through the carwash, and only notice it when enough soaks through the carpet? Or, does water only get in with the right combination of torrential downpour plus driving downhill, and/or driving over multiple deep puddles?

VettePilot, what exactly did your dealer do to fix the problem? Did they only seal the roof seam?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
What's interesting is that my floors don't get wet every single time it rains. Neither does it get wet when I run it through the carwash. From what you all are saying is the source of the leak, I should be getting water in every time shouldn't I? Could I have been getting water under the carpet every time it rains or run the Pilot through the carwash, and only notice it when enough soaks through the carpet? Or, does water only get in with the right combination of torrential downpour plus driving downhill, and/or driving over multiple deep puddles?

VettePilot, what exactly did your dealer do to fix the problem? Did they only seal the roof seam?
In my case, the water would run in different directions depending on how the Pilot was tilted -- by parking it in the driveway with the right front slightly down hill, the water would run down the A-Pillar and behind the passenger side fuse/relay box.
With the carpet out, I could actually see a stream of water running into the passenger footwell.
The dealer could not initially find the leak, so they did the fix inside the fender because of a service bulletin on it -- that didn't repair mine. It took the roof seam fix to fix mine.
By that time, the headliner was ruined and the dealer replaced the headliner too.
2002 Ford Ranger Edge
VettePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

For what it's worth..... I had a wet carpet problem in my Nissan Quest. It turned out to be the condensate from the A/C (or defrost mode) running back into the cabin due to a crappy design of the drain tube at the firewall in the engine compartment. The dealer, of course, was no help whatsoever. JB
jbredpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

The A/C drain hose has already been ruled out in my case. Plus, it would not explain water getting under the carpet on the driver's side too. I appreciate your input though jbredpilot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: