check engine light-need advice!! - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default check engine light-need advice!!

My 2006 Honda Pilot has been in the shop for a total of 8 days since April of this year. All due to my check engine light!! Thank goodness it has all been covered under my warranty since the first time the light came on, I only had 35000 miles on it!! I have had the EGR valve replaced, and all the fuel injectors replaced. This last run, the dealership had my vehicle for 5 total days. I really had thought we were done with this problem!! Well, yesterday the light came on again!!! This morning, though it went off. I'm very frustrated because I don't really think they know what is wrong with my vehicle.

It is riding fine. Much better since replacing the fuel injectors. I only have 44000 miles on this vehicle. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I even thought about going to the other Honda dealer in town. I even called them. They said it wouldn't be covered under my warranty if I brought it to them now because I'm over the mileage limit.
hondamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

What are the codes?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I want to say 300 through 307. I'll be honest, only the guy at a random car care place told me the codes; the place where I first attempted to get an inspection. I never knew to ask. The Honda Dealership never told me any codes.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, without knowing the exact codes, it's hard to go in a particular direction.

If you have P0300 through P0306, it would indicate misfires

P0300 is multiple cylinder misfire, P0301 throuth P0306 is a misfire in cylinders 1 through 6.

From the owner's manual for the 2006:

Your powertrain is covered for
5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever
comes first.

I would consider taking it elsewhere. That other dealership was incorrect in telling you that you were over the mileage limit. You are over mileage for everything but the powertrain.
'03 VW Passat Wagon GLX V6, Blue Anthracite
'73 VW Fastback, Marina Blue
'94 John Deere LX176
ctobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Honda has a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on work preformed at their shop. So if it is a problem they have already repaired it is still covered. Go to auto zone they will read the code for free. If it is a p1457 it the code for a loose gas cap, have it cleared and tighten gas cap. I had this problem after my 03 got a tank full of diesel when it was filled up. Cleared the code and it never appeared again.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think its time to raise the pressure on a dealership who clearly is clueless about what its doing.

Honda Warranty is good regardless of where you take it.

Escalate the issue by calling Honda Customer service.

I've taken the following from the Ownerlink.

Honda Automobile Customer Service stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Honda vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

By Phone
Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 999-1009

By Fax
(310) 783-3023

By Mail
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Honda Automobile Customer Service is more than happy to help with U.S. Honda vehicle concerns, but is unable to address questions with non-U.S. products. For Canadian inquiries, please call Honda Canada Automobile Customer Service toll-free at (888) 946-6329.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I did find the codes on my bill from dealer-this was from April 2008: codes P0301, P0302 and P0303

In June 2008 codes were P0301-306

No codes were typed in on my first November invoice. Thanks for the Honda customer service numbers!! I had thought about calling them. I tried the numbers and the 1800 number is now customer service for 1800mattress; and the canadian customer service didn't answer--not even a recording.

Thanks for any additional info!!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I looked up those codes on my DTC code look up guide that came with my OBD computer. The guide says it is a misfire in the:
p0301 misfire cylinder 1
p0302 misfire cylinder 2
p0303 misfire cylinder 3
p0306 misfire cylinder 6
Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here's what I don't understand- you're getting cylinder misfires, and they've replaced fuel injectors and EGR. Usually when there's misfires, the first thing you look at is ignition.

Generically, multiple cylinder misfires would make me look at the ignition control module first and test that out. I'm shocked this wasn't looked at.
'94 John Deere LX176
Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've had the same exact problems with my 2006 Pilot. They replaced the fuel injectors and about 3 days later the light came back on. It flashes when I first start it and hits the rev limiter at about 3000 rpm. When I turn it off and back on, it's just a steady solid light.
It's back at the local Honda dealer's service department and I told them to keep it until it is repaired.
They actually drove it around for about a week before replacing the fuel injectors and were getting cylinder misfires even when the light was off. Apparently, they had the Honda Engineers on the phone and came to the collective conclusion that it was the injectors, which it obviously is not! They supposedly checked the ignition and everything that was "easily accessible".

If anyone else has had experience with this, please post up! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
ponchuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

I picked up my Honda last night from the dealership. Apparently this is a national problem with a handful of Pilots. My dealership has been in contact with American Honda this whole month, b/c I don't think they could figure out what was wrong with it!! I have had all six fuel injectors replaced and the EGR valve replaced. The light is off right now!! I brought my vehicle back to them on Monday & their plan was to start removing cylinder caps & to clean the cylinders. My husband said this made him nervous b/c this meant they were beginning to take apart my engine. Anyway, they didn't do it. The Honda service guy called me late yesterday afternoon & said that American Honda didn't think the cylinders needed to be cleaned. American Honda is thinking this is problem due to gas. I'm thankful to have my vehicle now & pray the damn light stays off!! Apparently I will be contacted if American Honda figures this out. My vehicle is driving very well.

I have had four rental cars from Enterprise (courtesy of the dealership) from November 3rd to December 1st. I brought them a Christmas card last night when I picked up my car! I know all their names now due to this!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Humpf.

No easy answer here. Does each cylinder have its own coil, or do two cylinders share coils? I'd ask for the coils for each misfiring cylinder to be replaced.

Have they reflashed the ECU? Any improvement? If none should it be replaced?

The way it looks you have me thinking that you better get Honda's written assurance that they will continue to warranty the ignition misfire issues beyond the mileage limit.

Sorry about the numbers I took them off Honda's ownerlink. As the dealer for another number unless there is something in your owners manual that will help.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I just called the number (800) 999-1009 shown below and got Honda.

Give it another go.

Honda Automobile Customer Service stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Honda vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

By Phone
Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 999-1009

By Fax
(310) 783-3023

By Mail
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Angry

I appreciate any help. My 2003 pilot started having random misfire and engine malfunction in oct. 2008. I took it to the dealer and after diag. the verdict was that I have bad gas? (water!) in the tank "it will go away after 5 fill-ups with premium gas". No luck. I went back armed with the info collected from this forum and they did EGR valve work under warranty. No luck still.
I called American Honda and they flat out said I am out of warranty and "the dealer is our eyes and ears". They are not aware of any such problems with any other pilot. No one knows what the problem is but was asking me to change the fuel injectors and then the fuel pump to see the problem gets fixed. If it can be done under warranty I had no problem, but to see on my expense, am I missing something here? I only owned Honda vehicles and I love my pilot. This is the first time I ran into a problem. Boy, it is enough to look somewhere else for my next purchase.

If anybody had this problem fixed please respond.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by JosnJo
I appreciate any help. My 2003 pilot started having random misfire and engine malfunction in oct. 2008. I took it to the dealer and after diag. the verdict was that I have bad gas? (water!) in the tank "it will go away after 5 fill-ups with premium gas". No luck. I went back armed with the info collected from this forum and they did EGR valve work under warranty. No luck still.
I called American Honda and they flat out said I am out of warranty and "the dealer is our eyes and ears". They are not aware of any such problems with any other pilot. No one knows what the problem is but was asking me to change the fuel injectors and then the fuel pump to see the problem gets fixed. If it can be done under warranty I had no problem, but to see on my expense, am I missing something here? I only owned Honda vehicles and I love my pilot. This is the first time I ran into a problem. Boy, it is enough to look somewhere else for my next purchase.

If anybody had this problem fixed please respond.
First of all, find a good mechanic, not just parts changing monkeys. Maybe try another dealership.

On a 2003 that's long out of warranty, I wouldn't expect much of anything from Honda. Cars break, they need fixing. When they break out of warranty, you pay.
'94 John Deere LX176
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: