Rear blower Transistor Fix - Page 7 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #91 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You can get the Honda one for $85 shipped to your door. Here is the part number for my 04: Genuine Honda Parts : OEM Parts Direct : Prelude Parts : CRZ : CRV : Pilot Parts : Automotive Parts : Authentic Honda Parts : G1Parts.com
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeery View Post
You know I have to take pics every time I pull apart the Pilot....

The power transistor for the rear blower in my 2003 stopped working the other day.

Thanks to Slayder, Sunday Rider, N_Jay, and many others who have posted on this problem.

Here is what I did to fix it.

I ordered the parts from Mouser Electronics. I got 2 of the thermal links and some thermal paste:
1 526-NTE303 1 1.770 1.77
NTE Chemicals
1g HEATSINK COMPOUND

2 447-XYP2BN109-RC 2 0.400 0.80
Xicon Thermal Cutoff
TCO 114C 2A/250VAC

The total was $9.02 shipped.

1. Pull off the panel on the left side of the main console in the drivers footwell.

Here is a picture of the intake screen for the rear blower. You can see how clean I keep it, but the part still failed.
RSeery
Thank You so much, very detailed!!
I jumpered it for now and have ordered the parts from mouser.com
Thanks again
Roy
rwthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #93 (permalink)

We're still running the jumper in two separate Pilots now. No issue for a year and a half. 110*f Vegas summers and 9*f Reno winters.
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeery View Post
13. All that's left is to snap the hood back on by placing the pins into the connector end and the latch through the heatsink. Replace the part in the Pilot and test... Replace kickpanel, etc...
Kudoo's to RSeery; I have the same rear transistor problem.
I took it out and "hot-wired" the two end terminals (soldering a piece of wire from one terminal to the other, thus closing the circuit). I hope this will not cause an over heating problem. I would imagine it is very important to make sure that the filter (shown by RSeery in Post #1, http://www.piloteers.org/forums/atta...x-100_5358.jpg)
is kept clean.
The results I have so far is : the dash manual switch does turn the green light of the rear console control panel on, and gives fan control to the rear passenger. Also I now hear the fan in the console blowing and .... most importantly ... there is heat coming out in the rear vents.
pvmeyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #95 (permalink)

As usual Piloteers.org has saved me money!

Be careful not to overheat the contact on the circuit board I melted the entire contact tab off and had to do some finagling to get it soldered back in place so I could attach the lead to it.

While I like saving money (even more than most people I would say!) the part is so cheap compared to a new blower motor I can't understand why so many people would just jumper this and remove a safety feature.

Need to add: Clean Rear Blower Screen to the Routine Maintenance Schedule.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #96 (permalink)

Default It all worked!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpooplA View Post
I have a 2004 Pilot EX-L with 72000 miles and 3 months out of extended warranty...rear blower went out about a month ago, then front blower went out 2 weeks later, right when we had our first freeze in Dallas area...since we had no heat and 2 little kids, I purchased the front BWD branded resistor assembly locally at O-Reilly auto parts for $103 and it works great. Now on to the rear resistor...since it is not as urgent, I will give the listed fix a try. Just ordered following parts from Digikey.com:

The recommended one:
P10921-ND EYP-2BN110 THERMAL CUTOFF 115C 2A/250VAC $0.74

The one I will try first due to higher temp allowance:
P10925-ND EYP-2BN143 THERMAL CUTOFF 145C 2A/250VAC $0.74

Thanks for everyone's input.

Wish me luck.
Here are my results:

For sautering practice I decided to first try and fix/rebuild the front blower original Honda resistor (which I had replaced with OReilly BWD resistor assembly since both front and back were out during first cold spell). I used P10925-ND EYP-2BN143 THERMAL CUTOFF 145C 2A/250VAC and briefly hooked it up via plug only. I tested it for 20 seconds and it worked great at all variable speeds.

Then I took out the rear blower resistor and rebuilt it using P10921-ND EYP-2BN110 THERMAL CUTOFF 115C 2A/250VAC. I also vacuumed the screen as recommended. It also works great at all variable speeds. The wifey thinks it works better than before. Perhaps all the dust on the screen was blocking air flow...who knows.

Thanks everyone!!!!
AlpooplA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
We're still running the jumper in two separate Pilots now. No issue for a year and a half. 110*f Vegas summers and 9*f Reno winters.
I have tried both replacing the thermal cutoff, and using a jumper wire and I am still having the same problem where the rear blower is on High, no matter the setting up front (or if the AC is turned off).

I have the transistor assembly that looks like the 2nd picture you previously posted (does not have the "tabs" sticking up). Any ideas on why it's stuck on high?
hondapilotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #98 (permalink)

Thanks for everyone's hard work on this. My pilot is an 06 and has the newer part also pictured in this thread with the leads routed under the plastic. In my search I also found this thread.

TSB 03-048 Rear Blower Motor does not work

which links a honda service bulletin that tells how to test to see if this unit is bad by testing the resistance between two of the terminals on the part. I tested mine and found that the resistance was 11 k ohms rather than greater than 1 M ohm. Can anyone suggest any guidance?
davefishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondapilotex View Post
I have tried both replacing the thermal cutoff, and using a jumper wire and I am still having the same problem where the rear blower is on High, no matter the setting up front (or if the AC is turned off).

I have the transistor assembly that looks like the 2nd picture you previously posted (does not have the "tabs" sticking up). Any ideas on why it's stuck on high?
I am guessing the control transistor is blown.

FETs often fail full on.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #100 (permalink)

I have the assembly that looks like the second one, there are no wires sticking up on it. Where do I put the new transistor assembly? Do I just put it around the back like the first set of instructions states?
Thanks for all the help!
txpilot79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #101 (permalink)

Our 2006 Pilot recently lost rear AC too. I pulled the transistor assembly out and tested it. The TCO was blown. A new assembly fixed it good as new... and of course, the obligatory vacuuming of the fan screen.

My assembly is also the newer version. I am considering repairing my old unit so that I have a spare in stock. Has anyone repaired the newer version yet? I haven't taken it apart yet, other than to remove the brown cover.

Also, I tried to find a 2003-2008 Pilot in a junkyard and snag the transistor assembly, but in my area, the junkyards are charging a $50 minimum and wanted $65 for the part. My dealer pricematched my online prices and I got a new part for under $90 with tax.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Also, I tried to find a 2003-2008 Pilot in a junkyard and snag the transistor assembly, but in my area, the junkyards are charging a $50 minimum and wanted $65 for the part.
That's good to know. I've been trying to track down a Pilot at a junkyard or pull-a-part place here, but I haven't had any luck. Guess I would do better to stop trying and to just order the part. Looks like the circuit board on mine is bad and not just the fuse.
philroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Our 2006 Pilot recently lost rear AC too. I pulled the transistor assembly out and tested it. The TCO was blown. A new assembly fixed it good as new... and of course, the obligatory vacuuming of the fan screen.

My assembly is also the newer version. I am considering repairing my old unit so that I have a spare in stock. Has anyone repaired the newer version yet? I haven't taken it apart yet, other than to remove the brown cover.

Also, I tried to find a 2003-2008 Pilot in a junkyard and snag the transistor assembly, but in my area, the junkyards are charging a $50 minimum and wanted $65 for the part. My dealer pricematched my online prices and I got a new part for under $90 with tax.
Would you sell me your old non functional unit?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #104 (permalink)

Yes, if I decide to not repair it.

Have you repaired the newer version?
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, if I decide to not repair it.

Have you repaired the newer version?
OK let me know.
I have only repaired the 2003 version and do recommend (but no liability assumed by me) upping the thermal cut off limit as I have noticed on very hot days when you need it the most it cuts off the back air = hot child = complaining spouse = nobody needs this. I can't get sympathy or peace after telling them the fact that i grew up with crank windows and no A/C in Florida in the seventies.

Per previous posts here others have upped it or even just bypassed it altogether with no issues.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: