"Whooo" noise coming from dash area - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default "Whooo" noise coming from dash area

Anyone have an intermittent noise that sounds like a "whooo" noise coming from the dash area? I've been having this sound for quite a while but it's gotten worse recently. I took it to the dealer the other day and they say its the rear brakes but my Pilot only has 33,000 miles on it. I think the noise is coming from around the dash. I'll be taking it in again for this problem as well as the intermittent "popping" noise from the rear.

This is my first Honda and might be my last. It's the noisiest car that I've ever owned, the the popping, whooing and road noise.

Thanks in advance

SOLD '03 BMW 530i 5 Speed w/Sport & Premium Pgks. Dinan Stage 2 engine software, Dinan CAI, Dinan rear sway bar, H&R sport springs, Supersprint exhaust, Rogue Octane short shift kit.
Poki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: "Whooo" noise coming from dash area

Quote:
Originally posted by Poki
Anyone have an intermittent noise that sounds like a "whooo" noise coming from the dash area? I've been having this sound for quite a while but it's gotten worse recently. I took it to the dealer the other day and they say its the rear brakes but my Pilot only has 33,000 miles on it. I think the noise is coming from around the dash. I'll be taking it in again for this problem as well as the intermittent "popping" noise from the rear.

This is my first Honda and might be my last. It's the noisiest car that I've ever owned, the the popping, whooing and road noise.

Thanks in advance
Whooo, that's a hard one . Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But, do you hear the sound continuously? If not, can you associate the sound to some activity? The only things I can think of around there are perhaps a vacuum leak, the heater fan or perhaps the DVD drive under the passenger seat for your navigation or the in-dash CD player.

Good luck!
Larry.
larrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Love my Hondas!!!

check your antifreeze. Sometimes when mine gets low it makes a similar sound in the dash area when the thermostat opens.
2004 Nighthawk Black / Saddle Pilot EXL w/ nav, woodgrain trim throughout, window air deflectors, running boards, fog lights, cargo cover, cargo tray, mud guards, tinted front windows, clear Llumar film on entire front, 3M door edge guard, & removable DVD player.
2001 S2000
2000 Accord Coupe V6
1989 Accord SE-i
Blkblurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

The noise is intermittent, sometimes comes when I'm driving, sometimes when I'm stopped (completely). I never know when the noise will come. It's almost like a squeal or ? Maybe my Pilot is farting? Or haunted?

The noise is really bugging me.

SOLD '03 BMW 530i 5 Speed w/Sport & Premium Pgks. Dinan Stage 2 engine software, Dinan CAI, Dinan rear sway bar, H&R sport springs, Supersprint exhaust, Rogue Octane short shift kit.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Love my Hondas!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Poki
The noise is intermittent, sometimes comes when I'm driving, sometimes when I'm stopped (completely). I never know when the noise will come. It's almost like a squeal or ? Maybe my Pilot is farting? Or haunted?

The noise is really bugging me.
Did you check your antifreeze yet?
2004 Nighthawk Black / Saddle Pilot EXL w/ nav, woodgrain trim throughout, window air deflectors, running boards, fog lights, cargo cover, cargo tray, mud guards, tinted front windows, clear Llumar film on entire front, 3M door edge guard, & removable DVD player.
2001 S2000
2000 Accord Coupe V6
1989 Accord SE-i
Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Does the Whoo... sound like a pump? Coudl it be your ABS (Anti-Lock Brake) unit? I think we all hear that same noise at engine startup. Maybe the unit is doing its thing while you are driving and that's what you hear?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Love my Hondas!!!

Did you check your antifreeze yet??????
2001 S2000
2000 Accord Coupe V6
1989 Accord SE-i
Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Unhappy "Whooo" noise coming from dash area

Hi there BlkBlurr!
Even though Poki will not respond, I am having the EXACT same noise coming from under my Pilot's dashboard. It almost sounds like my small dog's whimper when he is stuck in his dog cage and isn't getting to eat human food.
I have checked my AntiFreeze level, and it is exactly midway between MIN and MAX at cold temp (if anything in Florida in July can be cold).
I'm assuming we're talking about the plastic bottle at the end of the radiator run-off rubber hose.
Do you think it's worth-while to go ahead and top it off to MAX to possibly solve this problem? Has anyone else had this problem? It started about 3K miles ago, and we now have 21K miles on the Pilot.
=Steve=
smckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi All,

Sorry I have not responded but I've been busy. I think I have solved my problem. At least I haven't heard the noise in quite some time. I think it has something to do with my air conditioner. Recently, I decided to turn my AC off while driving around and for some reason that seems to have cured my problem. I have not heard the noise in a few months now. I'm really not sure what the ac has to do with the noise but at least it's not an issue right now. It got to be really irritating for a while. Several people heard it and remarked "what the h#ll was that?" My standard reply was that my Pilot is haunted.

Hope this helps. I'll let you know if the noise comes back (crossing my fingers)

Old 07-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Unhappy

Oh wonderful, had to be the A/C. I can't imagine going even a day without my A/C running down here in Florida in late July. It reached 95 degrees F yesterday!
What you are saying does make sense, now that I think about it. There are some vacuum operated baffles that are controlling air flow to the various parts of the car based on temp sensor feedback. Maybe the "whooo" sound is one of those baffles activating and diverting the airflow down a different tube. Maybe the plastic parts are just rubbing against each other?
The thing about this problem is that it seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to duplicate for the Honda service department rep in a 2 minute test drive, and so our problem is being dismissed as CND (Can Not Duplicate).
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH !
Old 07-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Love my Hondas!!!

Default Re: "Whooo" noise coming from dash area

Quote:
Originally posted by smckenna
Hi there BlkBlurr!
Even though Poki will not respond, I am having the EXACT same noise coming from under my Pilot's dashboard. It almost sounds like my small dog's whimper when he is stuck in his dog cage and isn't getting to eat human food.
I have checked my AntiFreeze level, and it is exactly midway between MIN and MAX at cold temp (if anything in Florida in July can be cold).
I'm assuming we're talking about the plastic bottle at the end of the radiator run-off rubber hose.
Do you think it's worth-while to go ahead and top it off to MAX to possibly solve this problem? Has anyone else had this problem? It started about 3K miles ago, and we now have 21K miles on the Pilot.
=Steve=
that is a different sound than I was getting when my antifreeze was low. I would get the sound of water flowing all at once. Like what I expected a woosh diescription to sound like.
2001 S2000
2000 Accord Coupe V6
1989 Accord SE-i
Old 07-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Pretty much all cars can make a "gurgling" sound from the a/c refrigerant going through the evaporator under the dash. This is most noticable right after turning the engine off.
th10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've never heard it after engine shut-off. It doesn't sound like a gurgle either. More of a whistle or a whooo. It happens while driving, while at stoplights, even in park idling. It is a very short "whooo" that lasts only about 1 second, and it happens about once every 5 minutes. Just enough to drive one crazy wondering what it is, and not terribly loud, but definitely loud enough to notice, even with the radio playing.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh wonderful, had to be the A/C. I can't imagine going even a day without my A/C running down here in Florida in late July. It reached 95 degrees F yesterday!
What you are saying does make sense, now that I think about it. There are some vacuum operated baffles that are controlling air flow to the various parts of the car based on temp sensor feedback. Maybe the "whooo" sound is one of those baffles activating and diverting the airflow down a different tube. Maybe the plastic parts are just rubbing against each other?
The thing about this problem is that it seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to duplicate for the Honda service department rep in a 2 minute test drive, and so our problem is being dismissed as CND (Can Not Duplicate).
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH !

Exactly the problem I had, could not duplicate the noise at the dealer. They even suggested that it was the brakes. But I knew the noise was coming from the dash area.

Before, when I had the noise, my AC was on all the time, I never turned it off. I decided to turn it off durning short trips to the market, errands , etc. Maybe you could drive without the AC in the evening for a little while. Most of the time I have the AC on and its worked for me so far.

Good luck

Old 07-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I've never heard it after engine shut-off. It doesn't sound like a gurgle either. More of a whistle or a whooo. It happens while driving, while at stoplights, even in park idling. It is a very short "whooo" that lasts only about 1 second, and it happens about once every 5 minutes. Just enough to drive one crazy wondering what it is, and not terribly loud, but definitely loud enough to notice, even with the radio playing.
Yup, that's the noise I have/had. Is your AC on all the time? You might try to turn it off once in a while just to see if that helps.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: