Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/)
-   Problems (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-problems/)
-   -   Engine surging at idle??? (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-problems/20567-engine-surging-idle.html)

AznSlumLord 01-25-2008 07:31 PM

Engine surging at idle???

It's been pretty cold up here in the northeast for the past month or so, temps around the 30 degree mark, and when I started up my car the other day to warm it up, after a few mins after I came back the engine was surging. The RPM's went from like 1k-2k. I shut off the car and checked under the hood to see if I could find anything obvious that was wrong. Didn't find anything. Restarted the car and idled back to normal. After about a 5 minute drive, I came to a red light and noticed the engine/tranny didn't seem to be in sync with each other...like I could feel the engine trying to move forward with a little force while I had my foot on the brake pedal. Anyway, pulled into a parking lot, put the transmission in Park, and the engine was surging again with the RPM's going up and down. SHut off the car again, let it sit for about 5 mins. started it up and back to normal it went.

Now I've been driving the car for the past 2 days and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary while driving it.

Anyone know what might have caused this? Seems odd, but I haven't seen it happen the past couple days.

BTW, I have a 2003 Pilot EX with approx. 73k miles.

tunergirl 01-25-2008 08:19 PM

Re: Engine surging at idle???

Quote:

Originally posted by AznSlumLord
It's been pretty cold up here in the northeast for the past month or so, temps around the 30 degree mark, and when I started up my car the other day to warm it up, after a few mins after I came back the engine was surging. The RPM's went from like 1k-2k. I shut off the car and checked under the hood to see if I could find anything obvious that was wrong. Didn't find anything. Restarted the car and idled back to normal. After about a 5 minute drive, I came to a red light and noticed the engine/tranny didn't seem to be in sync with each other...like I could feel the engine trying to move forward with a little force while I had my foot on the brake pedal. Anyway, pulled into a parking lot, put the transmission in Park, and the engine was surging again with the RPM's going up and down. SHut off the car again, let it sit for about 5 mins. started it up and back to normal it went.

Now I've been driving the car for the past 2 days and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary while driving it.

Anyone know what might have caused this? Seems odd, but I haven't seen it happen the past couple days.

BTW, I have a 2003 Pilot EX with approx. 73k miles.

Idle air control valve needs to be cleaned or replaced. I would try cleaning it first. That would be my first step.

AznSlumLord 01-25-2008 08:55 PM

Re: Re: Engine surging at idle???

Quote:

Originally posted by tunergirl

Idle air control valve needs to be cleaned or replaced. I would try cleaning it first. That would be my first step.

where is that located exactly?

tunergirl 01-26-2008 09:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Engine surging at idle???

Quote:

Originally posted by AznSlumLord

where is that located exactly?

It is bolted up to the bottom of the throttle body.