Gas tank overflow? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-25-2002, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Gas tank overflow?

I was filling my Pilot's tank (only the second time for me)....and the pump sensor sensed a full tank and stopped the flow. In most vehicles, you can fit in another 10-15 cents without overflowing. Well....I was 6 cents under a round number.....so I clicked the pump to get those extra 6 cents of gas. And all of a sudden....gas is just flowing down the side of my Pilot. I put the cap on, and rushed right over to the car wash. My hunch is it was a slow sensor in the pump I was using. It was a Sunoco station....but the pump was sortof beaten up. I won't really worry about this until it happens a second time using a different pump at a different station. Just curious....anyone else had this problem?

P.S. Not sure you could actually qualify this as a problem....even if the pump was working fine. But it would be nice to know if "full"....means "slow down buddy....getting a little full"....or "STOP RIGHT NOW OR I'LL POUR PAINT EATING GAS DOWN THE SIDE OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL PILOT!!!!"
WNYPilotGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Gas tank overflow?

WNY, before we drove off the lot with our new Pilot, our salesman gave our family a rather impassioned lecture about the importance of NOT PUTTIN IN ANY EXTRA GAS after reaching a "full" tank. In addition, we got the MAKE SURE THE GAS CAP CLICKS AT LEAST 3 TIMES WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK ON follow-up speech. When I asked "why?" he mentioned all manner of resulting gloom including sensor lights and cars not starting.

At this point, our family is so frightened of the gas pump we draw straws for who has to perform the deadly task of fillin' 'er up.

Quote:
Originally posted by WNYPilotGuy
I was filling my Pilot's tank (only the second time for me)....and the pump sensor sensed a full tank and stopped the flow. In most vehicles, you can fit in another 10-15 cents without overflowing. Well....I was 6 cents under a round number.....so I clicked the pump to get those extra 6 cents of gas. And all of a sudden....gas is just flowing down the side of my Pilot. I put the cap on, and rushed right over to the car wash. My hunch is it was a slow sensor in the pump I was using. It was a Sunoco station....but the pump was sortof beaten up. I won't really worry about this until it happens a second time using a different pump at a different station. Just curious....anyone else had this problem?

P.S. Not sure you could actually qualify this as a problem....even if the pump was working fine. But it would be nice to know if "full"....means "slow down buddy....getting a little full"....or "STOP RIGHT NOW OR I'LL POUR PAINT EATING GAS DOWN THE SIDE OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL PILOT!!!!"
pjl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Gas Takn

WNY,

I also had this problem. I needed another 17 cents to round off to 18 dollars and when I kept the pump going it overflowed. I was suprised by this, but from now on once the pump shuts off when the tank is full I don't top off anymore.

Evergreen
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Gas Takn

I remember reading about this over on the acuramdx.org site. I will try and see if I can post the link here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen
WNY,

I also had this problem. I needed another 17 cents to round off to 18 dollars and when I kept the pump going it overflowed. I was suprised by this, but from now on once the pump shuts off when the tank is full I don't top off anymore.

Evergreen
03pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default overflow

I have not had this problem yet (on my third tank), but I also have not tried to "top it off".

However, my Integra GS-R was notorious for spilling all over the rear quarter-panel if you tried to top it off. Of course, the overflow hole did not empty back into the tank, it ran all over the tire!

I have found that it also depends on which station you are at. Some driveways tilt toward or away from the pump and that can affect the amount you can put in the tank.

My rule is to stop filling when the trigger releases....especially at pumps with the vapor recovery systems.
bengelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
djs

Only have about 85 miles on my 2 day old SS. Really appreciate info like this; it saves many of us needless headaches and shortens the learning curve. I have a 2001 Subaru Forester and when it was about 2 weeks old the check engine light came on about 10 miles from where I had just gotten gas. Another car that needs to have its gas cap clicked at least three times.
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
PrG
Super Senior Member

Default Thank ...

HONDA for the little lip under the gas cap. I experiences my first overflow and if not for the little lip the gas would be on the side of my car instead of funneled down and out the bottom of the car.

PrG
2003 Honda Pilot EX-L Nighthawk Black Pearl #7369
2003 Harley Davidson Road King Classic (Gunmetal)
PrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

My last truck was very sensitive to vehicle angle when fueling.
If the front was higher than the back it would leave up to 1/3 of the tank empty.
This put me in the habit of always topping off (I hate stopping for gas). I learned very clearly that you don't top off a Pilot.

That lip that PrG mentions is great for a slight overflow, with a major overflow it aims gas everywhere up and over that lip.
05 Acura MDX Touring (sold) 03 Honda Pilot EX Havasu Blue #3939.
02 Toyota Highlander Ltd Vintage Gold.
BillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I'm going to have to put a SIGN inside the fuel door. Here in NJ its NOT self Serve. So if I forget I get a mess!
Honda should have put a note on the inside of the door...for Christ sake they have warnings about everything else!

Joe
jfrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

My salesman also gave me the don't top off the gas tank speech, but he topped it off himself (a few cents) when he took me to the gas station to buy me a tank of gas before I left with my Pilot.

I had an Expedition before my Pilot and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on. When I took it in for repair, the service manager asked me if I top off when I fill up and I told him that I don't, but when the station guys filled it last time they did. He told me that most new vehicles should NEVER be topped off.

I believe I remember reading in my Pilot Owner's Manual not to top off.

LOVING my RedRock Pearl EX-L,

RRP

P.S. A "plug" for my salesman/dealer: Joey Gist at Jerry Damson in Florence, AL is the BEST!
Old 07-17-2002, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

i didnt try to "top off"...the gas gun stopped filling up but gas was gushing out from the rear of my Pilot! I was wondering what happened...hm...is this a problem?
augie_chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yep, here in Jersey, there's no self-serve....and I haven't had one fill-up experience where the guy did NOT top off (it's like a disease around here. Like that round number matters -- I'm paying by credit card for pete's sake!)

But haven't had one episode of gas running off.....yet. Just lucky, or just under the wire.

Thanks to this thread, I will be reminding the fill-up guy every time....
2003 SS EX-L Nav #3468, rear view camera, side steps - joined our family on 6/10/02
njpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to SoapPlant

Wow, and I thought my Accord was touchy with fill-ups. I'm usually able to at least round up to the nearest $.25 for some anal-retentive reason (I usually pay by debit card too, so what does it really matter!), but I know better than to try and push more in the tank. It sounds like the Pilot is even touchier, so I guess I'll have to be more careful. Thanks for the info...
'03 Sandstone Metallic Pilot EX-L RES (Finally Arrived 8/28!) - #20,811
SoapPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

I did the same thing trying to top of the tank. I am used to putting in another 50 cents before spillage takes place. The pilot seems to over flow just pennies after the auto shut off kicks in on the pump.

Earl
eschand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default My first fill up - gas everywhere

Quote:
Originally posted by augie_chang
i didnt try to "top off"...the gas gun stopped filling up but gas was gushing out from the rear of my Pilot! I was wondering what happened...hm...is this a problem?
I had previously read this thread so when I went to fill up for the first time I didn't top off. But I stared in amazement as gas started flowing out of the fill hole and kept going and going. I finally put the cap on and the station attendant came over with a special spray to neutralize the spill because it was so much. I took the cap off again to see what it would do and gas starting flowing out again.
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: