Motor Oil leak, now tranny leaking - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Motor Oil leak, now tranny leaking

My 03 Pilot with 84k miles had begun to leak a small amount of motor oil a little over a month ago. I took it to my mechanic and he told me that it would be a big time job to rip apart the engine and find where it was leaking. Since it wasn't leaking that bad, he told me to just keep a close eye on it and fix it in the future.

Now I just took it to him to get my regular oil change but now apparently the transmission oil is leaking along with the motor oil apparently from a transmission seal according to him. I was already upset about the motor oil leaking but now this. Has this happened to anyone?
porsherules911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had a similar problem which appeared as if it could be a transmission leak. The oil main seal started to leak which left a lot of oil along the engine and transmission seam as it exited the engine at the freewheel access panel. Cost for the new oil seal was about $6.50, but the labor was a lot more. I had about 56,000 miles on the Pilot then. I hope you don't actually have a problem with both the engine and transmission!

Good luck.
C-130Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just came back from Aamco had them run the free tests on it, turns out this is becoming much deeper of a problem. He said that the tranny oil was leaking from the front seal but that there may be other components that need to be replaced such as the converter belt, torque converter, and even the tranny if its really that bad. But nothing will happen until he tears it apart which would cost me 695. Honestly I'm really disappointed... where did this honda quality go?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by porsherules911
Just came back from Aamco had them run the free tests on it, turns out this is becoming much deeper of a problem. He said that the tranny oil was leaking from the front seal but that there may be other components that need to be replaced such as the converter belt, torque converter, and even the tranny if its really that bad. But nothing will happen until he tears it apart which would cost me 695. Honestly I'm really disappointed... where did this honda quality go?
Well, I would start by staying away from AAMCO. Honda has had significant tranny problems with their V6 engines in just about everything except the Pilot - Accords, Odysseys, MDXs, TLs, etc. I would take it to Honda and have them diagnose it and then ask them to cover it under goodwill given their past track record with transmission problems. For the most part Honda/Acura was paying for full transmission replacements up to 100k miles for those models with problems - sometimes multiple times. Given the cost of a replacement, it can't hurt to ask and let them know it will influence your decision to remain a Honda customer. Good Luck with it.
jl_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yup,

My 2002 CRV EX 4wd Transmission went to S#$% at 56K.

that's why I'm...

the CRV Refuge

The Honda dealer re-sold it certified USED it also had 3 A/C units replaced

the first A/C replacement was the whole system at $5,000.00+

All Covered by Honda (NOT THE TRANNY), everyone builds lemons,

Honda just builds fewer of them.

MY LESSON LEARNED WAS : I'll never buy a first year model again.

the CRV Refuge
Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Finally some good news, got the leak repaired. Don't want to go into too much detail but the 2 leaks were related. Now she doesn't leak any fluids anymore

The only other thing on my mind right now is that whenever I'm driving especially on the highway, I sometimes hear this noise coming from the rear of the car, kind of like something is loose and flapping in the wind. I took a look everywhere to make sure nothing was loose or out of place but the noise is still there... Wondering what it is. Anyone ever heard of this before?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by porsherules911
Finally some good news, got the leak repaired. Don't want to go into too much detail but the 2 leaks were related. Now she doesn't leak any fluids anymore

The only other thing on my mind right now is that whenever I'm driving especially on the highway, I sometimes hear this noise coming from the rear of the car, kind of like something is loose and flapping in the wind. I took a look everywhere to make sure nothing was loose or out of place but the noise is still there... Wondering what it is. Anyone ever heard of this before?
I got that sound when the rear air deflector seal came out a bit.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

actually i know that strip is loose so that could very well be the reason. should i just rip it off? Or do i need to have it in there.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jl_ss

Honda has had significant tranny problems with their V6 engines in just about everything except the Pilot - Accords, Odysseys, MDXs, TLs, etc.
I don't know where you're getting that info....The Pilot has had more tranny issues, other than maybe the TL's and early MDX's.

Honda makes great engines, but they connect them to crappy transmissions.
JungleJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

The O3 pilot has 73000 miles and not one problem from the engine or transmission. Hope my good luck continues.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JungleJim

I don't know where you're getting that info....The Pilot has had more tranny issues, other than maybe the TL's and early MDX's.

Honda makes great engines, but they connect them to crappy transmissions.
From the info posted on sites, CR data, personal/friends experience, and my friendly local Honda service manager. If you search for tranny failures/replacments on the MDX site, you will find a lot of 2001/2002 failures. If you search this site, you will find no more than a few failures/replacements across all years - well within normal failure rates and probably better than any US manufacturer. CR data shows that the MDX/TL/Ody/Accord/etc all have mulitple years that get big black dots for tranny reliability. The Pilot has two years (03 and 04) that get half red dots and 05 and 06 get full red dots. By comparison, a Ford Explorer tranny gets full black dots for 02 through 04, half a black dot for 05, and a clear dot for 06. I'd say that the Pilot tranny is probably better than average for it's class.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Not good... I know that there are people who have been having issues with their trannys and having them replaced. So I was driving today when all of a sudden the "D" indicating which gear i was in started blinking. Has this happened to anyone? I still have the stock tranny with 86k. Also, realistically what are my chances of getting the dealer to replace the tranny whether its going through corporate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: