Strut replacement advice - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Strut replacement advice

Can anyone "steer" me in the right direction for best place to purchase front struts for my 03 Pilot and ease of installation?
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Think Honda, Monroe and KYP or B are the only choices.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

I believe KYB makes the OEM ones for Honda.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Has anyone done the replacement themselves? Looking for tips and tricks and general time and difficulty to complete.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I just diy'd the rear shocks . . . .put on Monroe Reflex. Made a big difference in the ride. Course I waited 130k to replace them.

Not a big deal. Just remove the rear tire, pop off two nuts holding on the shock, and replace. With the car on jack stands, you need to use a jack to raise up the rear axle assembly so you can take the pressure off the shock.

I'd like to replace the struts, but I thought you needed some special equipment to compress the spring? I've heard you can rent a hydraulic press to do it, but it seems like you are going through an awful lot.

Still, I was quoted close to $700 to replace the front struts. Which is why the originals are still on the Pilot.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I replaced the front ones on my wifes 03. It is easy to take the struts off the car,But I ended up taking them(struts) to my friends garage to have the struts replaced.I have a (cheap)spring compresser that attaches to the springs on 2 sides,but the springs are too stiff and have to much travel to compress them with those type compressors.I had also looked at renting a spring compressor from autozone but they had the same kind that I already had.So unless you you have a big compressor that the strut fits inside I wouldn't try it yourself.

Paul
pgedney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did your friends garage have the req'd spring compressor? and was it easy w/ the right one? I am familiar w/ the type you have. I aassume this req'd an alignment post install?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes his was a snap-on that was mounted on the wall and it had 3 arms that hooked onto the spring and it worked excellent.And yes I did have it aligned after.

Paul
pgedney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just came back from Honda to check out my clunking/rattling sounds coming from the front... They suspected it was my front struts because it was leaking... There was grease at the top of the strut's collar and they showed me another Pilot on the lift and it didn't have it... The senior mechanic ensured that it was a strut problem and in the end they quoted me just under $900 to replace and align!!!! WOW! I aske for a breakdown and the parts comes out to about $450 (for struts?!?!?), $300 for labour and $80 for the alignment... Then taxes... OUCH! Too bad this is not covered under the Honda Plus warranty...

So being a DIYer myself, I opted not to get them to do the job since I would have to pay... Good thing I have a friend who works at a parts store and he can give me Monroe Sensa-Trak struts for $62.50 each! AWESOME! So instead of $900, it would only cost me $140... Oh and that's Canadian Dollars...

Anyways, I was planning on doing it myself, but because I don't have the hydralic compressor (only the manual cheap one), I decided to go to Midas... Well, they insisted for them to take a second look to make sure it was my struts, so after a test drive and 20 minutes of looking it over, they came back and concluded it was indeed the struts, but I may also need both Front Stablizer sway bar links... They wanted $65 each, but I can get them for $25 each...

I'll just get Midas to do the job for me as I've had experience with them before and they are pretty good, even though I pay a bit more... But it's much better than what Honda will charge for labour... Honda wants $300 for labor, Midas only wants $220 for labor...

In the end, I only pay about $350, instead of $900...

The parts should come in tomorrow and then I will bring it to Midas to get the parts installed...

I'll keep you guys posted afterwards!

Cheers!

Self-Installed Accessories - Rear Splash Guards, 4WD Emblem, Thule Rapid Railing Crossbars, HuskyLiner Front/Rear Floormats and Cargomat...

8) 8) 8)
redn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by redn22
Too bad this is not covered under the Honda Plus warranty...
Is there a difference between the Honda Care and the Honda Plus Warranty? Reason I ask is because I had 2 rear shocks and 1 front Strut replace with the Honda care warranty. I have 50K miles on my 03 Pilot.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by redn22
Just came back from Honda to check out my clunking/rattling sounds coming from the front... They suspected it was my front struts because it was leaking...
Depending on how many clicks you have, I would push Honda for a good will replacement. I had the same problem as you (as many other people have) at 85,000 km. Honda replaced the front struts under good will. May be worth looking into. Other than that it sounds like you're getting a good deal from Midas.
dustino8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by John K

Is there a difference between the Honda Care and the Honda Plus Warranty? Reason I ask is because I had 2 rear shocks and 1 front Strut replace with the Honda care warranty. I have 50K miles on my 03 Pilot.
I don't think there's a difference... Honda Plus is for Canada while Honda Care is for the US

Look here for what Honda Plus covers: http://www.honda.ca/HondaCA2006/Your...prehensive.htm

It says that the extended doesn't cover struts/shocks, only the 3 year/60,000 kms warranty that comes with the Pilot...

Self-Installed Accessories - Rear Splash Guards, 4WD Emblem, Thule Rapid Railing Crossbars, HuskyLiner Front/Rear Floormats and Cargomat...

8) 8) 8)
Old 03-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dustino8

Depending on how many clicks you have, I would push Honda for a good will replacement. I had the same problem as you (as many other people have) at 85,000 km. Honda replaced the front struts under good will. May be worth looking into. Other than that it sounds like you're getting a good deal from Midas.
Thanks for the advise dustino8... I only have 77000 kms (equates to just over 48000 miles)... I tried reasoning with the dealership, but they insisted that Honda Canada will not warranty it since I'm already over my mileage...

Anyways, I'll give Honda Canada a call to see if they can reimburse me with something... Hopefully they will, but in the end I am still very happy with my "shopping around" to reduce the overall cost from $900 to only $300...

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Cheers!

8) 8) 8)
Old 03-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Here is a listing from a US dealer. I guess it covers more items.

http://www.curryhondacare.com/coverage.cfm
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

OK here is my problem. I have the original Goodyears w/ 40K, balanced and 60-70% tread w/ very even wear. The steering wheel is straight and the vehicle tracks straight and doesn't pull.
I am experiencing the following:
1. a slight side-to-side shimmy in the steering wheel at varying speeds (mostly @ 40-45). This not a vibration typ of tire out of balance.
2. I also experience, only sometimes, this side-to-side wheel movement under braking typ of a warped rotor
3. I've balanced, rotated every combination and varied pressures to no avail.
4. There is substantial road noise typ of a tire
5. FYI: The vehicle was a fresh water flood victim sometime before I bought it w/ 25K miles.
6. I have had a non-Honda technician, w/o having driven it, say it is likely the struts.
7. I priced out the KYB and like a previous poster, was quoted an outrageous price for complete job, hence I asked for spring compressor advice.
8. I almost bought Michelins, based on some other post on vibration, but doesn't really sound like the same problem?
9. FYI: I haven't yet checked for grease aorund strut mount yet, as mentioned earlier.
MY question is: Does this sound like a strut problem at 40K, given its history? All else on vehicle is fine.
Thanks!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: