Single loud clunking noise when starting cold. - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Single loud clunking noise when starting cold.

Get a single loud - very loud - clunking noise when I start 2006 Honda Pilot EXL 4WD with 2500 miles first thing in the morning (or at night after a day at work).

Shut the engine off - and restart the engine - and there is no noise.

The noise only happens once - until the next morning or night - and it happens every morning and every night.

Was told by dealer service guy that the noise is related to the freon in the air conditioner - but noise occurs even with air conditioner off. And we also have a 2006 Odyssey with the same engine - and we get no noise.

Welcome guidance on the source of the noise.

Thank you.
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Finally, someone else that has heard this noise!! I'm NOT nuts--at least about this.

I've heard it three times. Each time has been only at "cold" startup.

It almost sounds like a backfire, but I highly doubt that. It is higher pitched than any backfire I've ever heard.

I'm wondering if it is the ANC and it is actually sound coming out of the speakers?

I hesitate to take it to the dealer, because it has happened only 1 out of about 50 starts.

Anyone else heard this?

2006 2WD Steel Blue EX-L with Navigation (RIP - 3/10/12)
--------------------------------------------------------
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
mmmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Medic721 Send a message via AIM to Medic721 Send a message via Yahoo to Medic721

Me too but haven't thought much of it. AWD EX-L w/ Nav

-Mike.
2006 EX-L Nav, Billet Silver, Honda Hitch, ATF Cooler, PS Cooler, Honda Towing Harness, Honda Rear Mud Flaps, Catch-All 5 Piece Set, Rear Sub-Frame Kit, Honda Cross Bars, Spare Cup Holder, Factory Service Manuals, ScanGauge II, Softride Pull Pin Bike Rack, Poorman mp3 input, G-Net Navi Video adapter, AirLift 1000 kit.
Medic721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by mmmmark
Anyone else heard this?
It is the Sooner Schooner rolling over a Wildcat after the 5th touchdown of the game. Except for the Big 12 Championship game a few years ago of course.
fjwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by fjwagner

It is the Sooner Schooner rolling over a Wildcat after the 5th touchdown of the game. Except for the Big 12 Championship game a few years ago of course.
Yeah, I gotta hold on to that seriously bright spot! This year will be tough as the regime gets up to speed. I have high hopes for next year.

Neither of our teams played very sharp last week.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

OU's defense should and probably will play better. Paul Thompson will need to prove himself at quarterback, so lots of questions. KSU's new coach seems to be a good choice. He will need to push the right buttons though with the resurgence of Nebraska.
fjwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by fjwagner
OU's defense should and probably will play better. Paul Thompson will need to prove himself at quarterback, so lots of questions. KSU's new coach seems to be a good choice. He will need to push the right buttons though with the resurgence of Nebraska.
Looks like CU already has proven they are suspect!

Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Unhappy Loud Pop / Clunk When Starting Cold

After 13 years with an Acura Integra that never caused me any problems I bought a 2006 EXL AWD in July. Within a week, I started hearing this same noise when starting the car as well as another loud pop/clunking type noise when I accelerate after a stop or make a turn (which may just be gas sloshing around). I do know it is not the stereo because I have been driving around with it off to hear the noise. I took it back to the dealer and of course they could not replicate the sound. I have a feeling I am not going to have this car as long as the Acura. Too bad. I always thought Hondas were solid.
kmlamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lightbulb Loud clunk when starting cold

May have the answer.

When i shut the Pilot off - by habit i shut off the Pilot and then shift in to park - less wear and tear on previously owned vehicle transmissions.
(Have never needed transmission work: 152,000 miles - Honda Civic and 138,000 miles - Toyota Camry)

Yesterday morning when i got to work i shifted in to park first - then shut off the Pilot - and no clunk noise last night when i started the Pilot after work - got home - shift in to park then shut off the Pilot - and no clunk noise this morning when i started the Pilot to go to work.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Re: Loud Pop / Clunk When Starting Cold

Quote:
Originally posted by kmlamont
After 13 years with an Acura Integra that never caused me any problems I bought a 2006 EXL AWD in July. Within a week, I started hearing this same noise when starting the car as well as another loud pop/clunking type noise when I accelerate after a stop or make a turn (which may just be gas sloshing around). I do know it is not the stereo because I have been driving around with it off to hear the noise. I took it back to the dealer and of course they could not replicate the sound. I have a feeling I am not going to have this car as long as the Acura. Too bad. I always thought Hondas were solid.
Keep in mind that the ANC works even when the stereo is "off". It is actually on, because it still sends signals and cancels noise. The display is off basically.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Loud clunk when starting cold

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherbrooke8
May have the answer.

When i shut the Pilot off - by habit i shut off the Pilot and then shift in to park - less wear and tear on previously owned vehicle transmissions.
(Have never needed transmission work: 152,000 miles - Honda Civic and 138,000 miles - Toyota Camry)

Yesterday morning when i got to work i shifted in to park first - then shut off the Pilot - and no clunk noise last night when i started the Pilot after work - got home - shift in to park then shut off the Pilot - and no clunk noise this morning when i started the Pilot to go to work.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
I understand your logic, but this type of clunk is when you put it into gear. The clunk I've heard is immediatly on key turn. In addition, I've only heard this sound when it is parked in my garage which is 100% level, so no pressure on the tranny shift lock.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Re: Loud Pop / Clunk When Starting Cold

Quote:
Originally posted by mmmmark

Keep in mind that the ANC works even when the stereo is "off". It is actually on, because it still sends signals and cancels noise. The display is off basically.
An AWD Pilot, like kmlamont's, wouldn't have ANC. I just took the driving with the stereo comment in stride, as I normally drive with the stereo off when I'm diagnosing a strange noise, like he appeared to be doing. I believe kmlamont's comment about the stereo was just that he'd eliminated any popping noises from it as a source of the noise.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default Loud clunk when starting cold

===
I understand your logic, but this type of clunk is when you put it into gear. The clunk I've heard is immediatly on key turn. In addition, I've only heard this sound when it is parked in my garage which is 100% level, so no pressure on the tranny shift lock.
===

Yes - my loud clunk is also immediately on key turn - and also 100% level in the garage.

My thought is that when i shut off the Pilot in drive and then shift to park that maybe something is not right with the positioning of the transmission such that when i start it in the morning or night (cold) in park it makes the single loud clunking noise.

Once started - can not replicate the clunk - even shutting off in drive - until the Pilot sits for hours.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to andyschneider

So, a clarifying question. When this happens, has the motor just turned over? Run for 1/2 sec? 1 sec? 3 sec? Or immediately after you let go of the key? Reason I ask is that when test driving an Accord last year, we started a new Accord and within 1 sec we had this loud pop/bang from the engine compartment. The noise? A/C compressor engaging in a very loud fashion. Didn't even see the A/C on because it was in DEF mode, so wasn't sure. if you've got auto climate control, make sure the a/c button is OFF and also make sure you're not in the DEF mode at all on the front window.....

andy

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD (White, Wife's) - 13k miles
2013 Acura MDX (White, Mine) - 10k miles
2012 Honda Civic LX Coupe (Oldest kid out of house) - 21k miles
2004 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD (middle kid out of house) - 114k miles

Past - 04 Pilot EX-L RES, 06 Pilot LX - both 4WD
andyschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by andyschneider
So, a clarifying question. When this happens, has the motor just turned over? Run for 1/2 sec? 1 sec? 3 sec? Or immediately after you let go of the key? Reason I ask is that when test driving an Accord last year, we started a new Accord and within 1 sec we had this loud pop/bang from the engine compartment. The noise? A/C compressor engaging in a very loud fashion. Didn't even see the A/C on because it was in DEF mode, so wasn't sure. if you've got auto climate control, make sure the a/c button is OFF and also make sure you're not in the DEF mode at all on the front window.....

andy
Will have to pay very close attention on timing of the noise. It happens so infrequently that it is hard to be prepared to diagnose each and every start--but I'm trying.

Yeah, my bad on the AWD having ANC. I read right over that.

The reason I wondered if it was ANC is because it sounds like you have a PA system setup and then you plug in a guitar that is live. A loud static clunk. (very loud, mind you)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: