Single loud clunking noise when starting cold. - Page 5 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #61 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

call 1-800-999-1009 American Honda customer service and ask them to deal with you dealer. My dealer was little to no help...first they wouldn't try to fix it until they heard the noise and as its random they never heard it when the car was with them...although I don't know how many times they tried. Once, I sat in the car with the technician starting the car until it popped and he immediately said its the subwoofer but the dealership manger kept saying that honda told them to try other things...until finally I convinced them to try the subwoofer. The technician who removed the old one said it was broken and made the pop in the shop.
I really wanted to have it fixed because its startles eveyone who rides in my car and if I ever went to sell and it popped during a test drive it would be a problem.
Hope this helps...let me know what happens.
cee cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 04:56 AM   #62 (permalink)
Stay at home dad

My wife's new (one week old)07 Accord had the same kind of a knock upon start up first thing in the morning, but it did'nt happen the rest of the day.
I heard it and though something was loose in the engine, sounded like a hammer banging the engine. So for the last week I wanted to have something for the honda tech to hear, I would start the car every morning and "CLUNK" it never failed but after the engine ran for any length of time it would not do it again. As always no one heard it but me so I decided to let it go, until yesterday I tried something different, Get in and close the door, Turn the key to the Accessory position, turn off the radio and ac/heat if its on, you'll hear the fuel pump cycle a kind of a soft whirling sound, then turn the key to start the engine, to my surprise no clunk or thump. My neighbor thinks it might be in the clutch in the A/C or heating unit. Not being very skilled in "the way of the toolbox" I would'nt know the ac clutch from the thing-a- hickey. I'll get around to taking it in for a service check next week, but for now I haven't heard the noise.
The Green Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #63 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to andyschneider

Quote:
Originally posted by The Green Hornet
My wife's new (one week old)07 Accord had the same kind of a knock upon start up first thing in the morning, but it did'nt happen the rest of the day.
I heard it and though something was loose in the engine, sounded like a hammer banging the engine. So for the last week I wanted to have something for the honda tech to hear, I would start the car every morning and "CLUNK" it never failed but after the engine ran for any length of time it would not do it again. As always no one heard it but me so I decided to let it go, until yesterday I tried something different, Get in and close the door, Turn the key to the Accessory position, turn off the radio and ac/heat if its on, you'll hear the fuel pump cycle a kind of a soft whirling sound, then turn the key to start the engine, to my surprise no clunk or thump. My neighbor thinks it might be in the clutch in the A/C or heating unit. Not being very skilled in "the way of the toolbox" I would'nt know the ac clutch from the thing-a- hickey. I'll get around to taking it in for a service check next week, but for now I haven't heard the noise.
It's the a/c clutch engaging for the first time after sitting for a long time. You can go to a honda lot and start 10 Accords or Pilots or anything else, and you'll hear the a/c engage in all of them with varying levels of "thunk" the first time. One Accord I test drove sounded like the a/c was gonna jump thru the hood - while others were much more quiet.

As was the case with my loud fuel pump, the service tech told me that some are louder than others, and you just don't know the noise level of the one they're installing until it's in there - so be prepared that if they do choose to swap the compressor out, the clutch engagement in the new one could be less, could be the same, or could be louder.

andy

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD (White, Wife's) - 13k miles
2013 Acura MDX (White, Mine) - 10k miles
2012 Honda Civic LX Coupe (Oldest kid out of house) - 21k miles
2004 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD (middle kid out of house) - 114k miles

Past - 04 Pilot EX-L RES, 06 Pilot LX - both 4WD
andyschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #64 (permalink)

Default clunk on acceleration or braking

I just bought a 2004 EXL with 60k miles on it. I hear a clunk once per trip, usually the first time I apply the brakes going forward - then it never happens again until perhaps the next time I go for a ride.

Mine is on the right side, maybe the front, but difficult to locate. It sounds and feels like it has something to do with the 4WD - differential locking, etc. I think it is in the drive train somewhere - best guess is the right front wheel area.

I'm waiting for a reply back from the previous owner to see if he knows what it is.
gregbrookshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #65 (permalink)

UPDATE on the popping sound from the rear:

After going back and forth with my dealer and Honda Corporate, I finally got the dealer to call the Tech Line support at Honda Corporate. It's supposed to be a direct line to the engineers that build the cars. They agreed to let the dealer replace my radio. And apparently there is a now a service bulletin from Honda posted about this issue and replacement of the radio and associated parts is supposed to be the fix. FINALLY, they are admitting this is a problem! THANKS to all who complained to Honda!!

I made an appointment to replace the radio...will update with results - hopefully the popping noise will be eliminated!!!
2007pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #66 (permalink)

Excellent! I just got a call from Honda corporate telling me the same thing...keep your fingers crossed. Guess you have to be the squeaky wheel. Please post your results after the fix...I will too.
cee cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #67 (permalink)

UPDATE #2:

The dealer replaced the radio parts and it's been a week and no popping noise!!

If you have the popping problem, contact your dealer because there is a current service bulletin from Honda posted about this issue.
2007pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #68 (permalink)

Default Front "clunk" not rear "pop"

2007 Pilot. I get the "clunk" when the engine turns over first time from cold iron. The clunk repeats when I back out of the garage, turn right, and drive down the driveway; when the car first rolls forward from the reversed stop. I wait, braked, for the transmission to engage (I feel two steps when it's engaging in drive) before I roll forward.

When the driver's window is down in the garage, I can hear it echo off the driver's side wall of the garage. It sounds like an engine mount, but the location of the sound is low, towards the rear of the drivetrain.

It's not a woofer. It doesn't sound like an a/c clutch because of the location of the sound. It's not the steering gearbox, because the car is dead static, with the exception of the starter turning the flywheel, when the clunk happens.

I thought I'd read something about some loose fasteners on the firewall, somewhere here in the Pilot's lounge. Any tips?

I'm thinking of asking my wife to start the car while I listen and watch under hood to see if I can better isolate the location.
Weathertech Mats
Desert Rock Metallic
2002 Jetta TDI
jon316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #69 (permalink)

Default Re: clunk on acceleration or braking

Quote:
Originally posted by gregbrookshire
I just bought a 2004 EXL with 60k miles on it. I hear a clunk once per trip, usually the first time I apply the brakes going forward - then it never happens again until perhaps the next time I go for a ride.

Mine is on the right side, maybe the front, but difficult to locate. It sounds and feels like it has something to do with the 4WD - differential locking, etc. I think it is in the drive train somewhere - best guess is the right front wheel area.

I'm waiting for a reply back from the previous owner to see if he knows what it is.
I just bought a 2004 EXL with 46K on it. I have the same clunking during starts and stops. Hopefully yours is what mine is! The lug nuts on the wheels of the pilot have on keyed lug that needs a special lug key to unlock if you need to change the tire. That lug key looks like a socket and weighs about a pound. I bet it is rolling around in your glovebox like mine was.
singlecoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #70 (permalink)

Default Re: Front "clunk" not rear "pop"

We narrowed it down to what the clunk is not: It is not the A/C. I had the ventilation off yesterday morning and the temperature in the garage was about 28 degrees. Got the clunk on start from overnight parking, from low on the driver's side of the engine compartment.

Got an entirely different clunk when I started the climate control.

For a new vehicle with fewer than 8K miles, it's a clunker.
Weathertech Mats
Desert Rock Metallic
2002 Jetta TDI
jon316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #71 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Re: Front "clunk" not rear "pop"

Quote:
Originally posted by jon316
We narrowed it down to what the clunk is not: It is not the A/C. I had the ventilation off yesterday morning and the temperature in the garage was about 28 degrees. Got the clunk on start from overnight parking, from low on the driver's side of the engine compartment.

Got an entirely different clunk when I started the climate control.

For a new vehicle with fewer than 8K miles, it's a clunker.
From your earlier description, it seems you're experiencing "caliper slap," where the brake calipers move from one side to the other upon the first application of the brakes after a change in direction of the vehicle. From my experience, this noise is normal for a Honda.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #72 (permalink)

I have the same sound when I start the engine sometimes. But my sound comes from the rear of the car. It only clunks once and it is so fast that sometimes I think I imagined it.
MT2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #73 (permalink)

Default Thunk - Also

I also have a 07 Pilot EX-L 4WD. (climate control) I noticed the "Thunk"/"thump" recently, usually 1st thing in the morning when cold (Massachusetts). It only started a week or so ago. after I started to shut-off my auto heat/cool system so cold air wouldn't blow on my feet when the engine was cold.
At any rate , my "Thump" is gone now that I set the "AC-OFF" button to off.
Although there are several answers or guesses on this string as to the problem I tend to agree with those that believe it is the kicking in or out of the AC clutch or relay.
I am disappointed in Honda's lack of interest or even denial when you find this many people just on this site with the same symptons
hillkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #74 (permalink)

Default Which TSB number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007pilot View Post
UPDATE #2:

The dealer replaced the radio parts and it's been a week and no popping noise!!

If you have the popping problem, contact your dealer because there is a current service bulletin from Honda posted about this issue.

We just purchased a 2007 EX-L NAVI, and are noticing the same intermittent single 'knock' sound when starting the engine cold.

Does anyone know the specific TSB number that addresses this issue, as reported in this thread?

Thanks.
astine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: