Need to Replace Seat Belts - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: No Cal
Posts: 8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need to Replace Seat Belts

This must be a first, at least for this forum, because I searched and found nothing.

I need to replace three seat belts in my 2005 Pilot because a puppy ate through them-- she was quick too, we were only gone about 10 minutes. then

She chewed through the belts themselves-- no damage to clips, internal mechanisms, etc. So it's a matter of simply replacing the belts themselves.

So my question is, how difficult would this be to DIY? If quite difficult, I will reluctantly take it to a dealer to fix, probably at some astronomical labor cost-- but if it's realistic DIY then I'd do it.

What special tools would I need to DIY it? I am of course concerned about:

(1) making sure it is done correctly, for safety purposes; and

(2) not causing any significant cosmetic damage to the interior in removing panels, etc., in order to get at the internal places where I'd need to get to remove the old and install the new

I don't even know yet if I can purchase the replacement belts/assemblies via a website-- which I will do to get the best price, of course.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!
PetalumaPapa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:33 PM
jay
Super Senior Member

 
jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 11,113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can get the seat belts online. I'd think Hondacuraworld could help you, and I know Majestic Honda sells them.

I'd also check to see if your comprehensive coverage or homeowners policy would cover the replacement, but wouldn't think that the labor to replace a belt would be that expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 14s9v01_b4120.gif (18.7 KB, 603 views)

"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra
jay is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered User
 
N_Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, NW Burbs
Posts: 15,138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wonder about comprehensive insurance coverage?

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
Sir Winston Churchill
N_Jay is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: No Cal
Posts: 8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by N_Jay
Wonder about comprehensive insurance coverage?
Even assuming this is covered, by the time you get done with the $500 deductible and increased rates from making a claim, it won't be worth it to make a claim.

I doubt it would be covered too. Someone else's dog while in your car, perhaps yes, but I highly doubt it if it's your dog.
PetalumaPapa is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:47 PM
jay
Super Senior Member

 
jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 11,113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by PetalumaPapa
Even assuming this is covered, by the time you get done with the $500 deductible and increased rates from making a claim, it won't be worth it to make a claim.

I doubt it would be covered too. Someone else's dog while in your car, perhaps yes, but I highly doubt it if it's your dog.
I know some people who have a 0 deductible on comprehensive. My agent doesn't offer a 0 deductible.

Anyway, good luck with the repair, and stop leaving animals unattended in your vehicle.

"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra
jay is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Registered User
 
N_Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, NW Burbs
Posts: 15,138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by PetalumaPapa
Even assuming this is covered, by the time you get done with the $500 deductible and increased rates from making a claim, it won't be worth it to make a claim.

I doubt it would be covered too. Someone else's dog while in your car, perhaps yes, but I highly doubt it if it's your dog.
1) you don't know until you ask.
2) comprehensive insurance usually does not go up due to a claim (unlike collision)
3) WHY (oh why) would you have $500 deductible comprehensive?

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
Sir Winston Churchill
N_Jay is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Registered User
 
N_Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, NW Burbs
Posts: 15,138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by jay
My agent doesn't offer a 0 deductible.

Time for a new agent!

I bet if you threaten, he will mysteriously find a policy.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
Sir Winston Churchill
N_Jay is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:27 PM
jay
Super Senior Member

 
jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 11,113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by N_Jay


Time for a new agent!

I bet if you threaten, he will mysteriously find a policy.
I've been with them so long that no one else can touch the total cost. I'm okay with a $100 comprehensive deductible. With the glass coverage they'll waive the deductible for chip repairs.

"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra
jay is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Senior Member

 
michaelp95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 234
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you checked with Honda, they offer lifetime warranty on seatbelts.


Look in your owners manual in the warranty section under seat belts.

2003 HONDA PILOT LX
Starlight Silver Metallic
VIN#57546
michaelp95 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 07:02 AM
jay
Super Senior Member

 
jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 11,113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelp95
Have you checked with Honda, they offer lifetime warranty on seatbelts.


Look in your owners manual in the warranty section under seat belts.
The warranty has an abuse clause.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warranty_p35.jpg (69.3 KB, 397 views)

"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." --Yogi Berra
jay is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Super Senior Member

 
Sportymonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rocky Mount NC
Posts: 2,420
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Need to Replace Seat Belts

Quote:
Originally posted by PetalumaPapa
This must be a first, at least for this forum, because I searched and found nothing.

I need to replace three seat belts in my 2005 Pilot because a puppy ate through them-- she was quick too, we were only gone about 10 minutes. then

She chewed through the belts themselves-- no damage to clips, internal mechanisms, etc. So it's a matter of simply replacing the belts themselves.

So my question is, how difficult would this be to DIY? If quite difficult, I will reluctantly take it to a dealer to fix, probably at some astronomical labor cost-- but if it's realistic DIY then I'd do it.

What special tools would I need to DIY it? I am of course concerned about:

(1) making sure it is done correctly, for safety purposes; and

(2) not causing any significant cosmetic damage to the interior in removing panels, etc., in order to get at the internal places where I'd need to get to remove the old and install the new

I don't even know yet if I can purchase the replacement belts/assemblies via a website-- which I will do to get the best price, of course.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!
1. I am not sure you can get the belts separately instead of as an assembly.

2. Installation of seat belts will require everything be torqued or tightened down to a specification which means finding those specs and getting the proper tools to do so. They may have special fittings to prevent DIY.

3. Even if you can do it yourself, if you have an accident and the belts fail for any reason, the first words from the other side's lawyer will be, "So you reinstalled them yourself hhmmmm?"

All in all, with the safety factor involved, I would bite the bullet on this one. That way if anything is scratched by the dealer, he has to fix it, not you.

Eagles may soar, but foxes dont get sucked into jet engines.
2005 Steel Blue Metallic EX-L with iPod P.I.E. X3 interface (keeps the cd changer!!), LED lights in doors and overhead, tow package, cargo shield, crossbars (self installed), WWongs stuff, cargo liner, extended warranty. All but the tow pkg at great saving through our sponsor hondacuraworld.
17 - 24 MPG with mileage removed for both the best and the worst atypical mileages. 183,000 miles since June 29, 2005
Sportymonk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome