What is with all the resets on my 2006 EXL/Nav? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default What is with all the resets on my 2006 EXL/Nav?

I have had this car about 1 month. 2 weeks ago, the automatic up/down window feature stopped working. I did the procedure listed in the manual to re-enable it.

Now today the Nav system is requesting the 4 digit code when I start the car?

Is this something I am going to encounter several times (or more) per year???

What could be causing this?

Thanks,

David
davidmac27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
A6Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 422
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Sounds like the battery is disconnecting from the electrical system sometime after the key is removed. All your symptoms can be caused by such an event, no matter how momentary.

One hopes your dealer has a skilled electrical system troubleshooter. Who knows, the solution may be as simple as replacing the battery. Let's hope so!
A6Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
myeboah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: morgantown WV
Posts: 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

the automatic reocde number is on one of the forms that the dealer might have given to you so find it and keep it well because you need it most of the time.
__________________
I love my pilot it makes me feel like flying
myeboah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 916
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Yup, sounds like some sort of a battery connection problem.
__________________
Current: 2008 4WD EX-L NAV - OEM Tow Package - OEM Running Boards - Sirius conversion using OEM headunit and antenna - Vizualogic A-1250 Dual DVD Headrests - RGB converter for DVD on NAV screen - Hitch-Haul - Air Lift 1000 - USA-Spec PA15-HON2 - DEI 452T Auto Locks - Thule Crossroads and Cargo Box - Michelin Latitudes

Old: 2005 EX-L NAV
jcantanixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I have this problem too. My windows have had to be reset about 5 times in the past 4 months, and once the NAV system had to have the code re-entered. We all understand that this is an intermittent power issue - but has any one had this specific issue on the Pilot found the cause of the momentary power loss, or been able to faithfully recreate the problem? I took my '06 in for service today, and they checked the electrical system and pulled out the radio to check for bad connections - but were not able to find anything wrong.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
smsasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 772
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by smsasaki
I have this problem too. My windows have had to be reset about 5 times in the past 4 months, and once the NAV system had to have the code re-entered. We all understand that this is an intermittent power issue - but has any one had this specific issue on the Pilot found the cause of the momentary power loss, or been able to faithfully recreate the problem? I took my '06 in for service today, and they checked the electrical system and pulled out the radio to check for bad connections - but were not able to find anything wrong.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
I've also had this issue on my '06 EX-L. I've owned the car for just over 7 months and the nav has reset twice and the auto up/down many more times. But, the two events seem to be independent of each other. Of the two times the nav reset, the window programming was undone once. The dealer replaced the nav and that seems to have cured the nav resetting (for now). But, the window resetting is still happening. I have an appt this Tues for them to again take a look at it.

While a minor issue (it certainly doesn't affect the safety of the car) it's very annoying!

Good luck to all of us!
Larry.
__________________
'06 EX-L Nav 2WD (Redrock Pearl)
Stop Identity Theft in 10 Minutes!
DiskStroyer: http://www.diskstroyer.com
larrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 242
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Humm, had my '06 since January and the NAV/Radio had reset ONCE. The Windows has not happened yet...

Seems there might be an electrical problem looming in some of these Pilots...

Has anybody talked to the Dealer regarding this yet???
__________________
<p><strike>'04 Sage Brush Pearl EX-L</strike> (Rolled/Totaled - Not our fault, was hit by redlight runner)
------------
'06 Steel Blue Metallic EX-L 4WD w/ NAV
jlee2070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jrinjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jax Florida
Posts: 249
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default NAV Reset

I hopped in my Wife's car at the boat ramp yesterday and the NAV came up asking for the PIN number. I tried several numbers that were on stickers and cards, finally finding the right one and it booted up. I called the dealer, who said he had never heard of this, except with dead/disconnected batteries. I referred him to this site and suggested that he read it.
Her car has also had the sound system blank out two or three times and come back on by itself.
JR
__________________
06 Pilot EXL NAVI AWD RedRock Pearl
Ford F150 4x4
Allison XS-2003 GSE/Merc 2.5 SS
[3] '06 Honda AquaTrax Turbo F12X
[2] Vento Phantoms R4I
CR250 [2] CR80s XR100 PW50

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"
jrinjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mmmmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: E Texas
Posts: 1,069
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by larrys

But, the two events seem to be independent of each other. Of the two times the nav reset, the window programming was undone once. The dealer replaced the nav and that seems to have cured the nav resetting (for now). But, the window resetting is still happening. I have an appt this Tues for them to again take a look at it.
Speaking of the window vs. nav issue... One may be more sensitive than the other in regards to power failure.

For example, consider digital clocks in your home when the power blinks (microwave, alarm clock, etc.). When the power blinks, some go out immediately while others can take almost 5-10 seconds before they are affected. It has to do with the number and size of capacitors built into the component.

For the record, I think it is odd that Honda doesn't store more of this information in NVRAM so it is unaffected by power failure.
__________________
2012 2WD Touring White Diamond Pearl / Grey

2006 2WD Steel Blue EX-L with Navigation (RIP - 3/10/12)
--------------------------------------------------------
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
mmmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jrinjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jax Florida
Posts: 249
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Storage

Some stuff can't be stored in a eeprom or flash memory location if the amount [total number] of "writes" is substantial. The memory locations actually wear out after a certain number of writes. The flash memory is good if you are storing data that is accessed often, but "written" relatively seldom.
We have to be very careful not to accidentally write to one location or it will fail eventually.
RAM has no limitations on the "Writes".
JR
__________________
06 Pilot EXL NAVI AWD RedRock Pearl
Ford F150 4x4
Allison XS-2003 GSE/Merc 2.5 SS
[3] '06 Honda AquaTrax Turbo F12X
[2] Vento Phantoms R4I
CR250 [2] CR80s XR100 PW50

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"
jrinjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mmmmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: E Texas
Posts: 1,069
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Well, that is my point. The NAV ID seems like it can be written once to a non-volatile RAM location so that it isn' t easily lost on battery failure.

This also seems true with the window auto-down setup.

I think it was a poor design decision to allow this loss of settings when power is lost.
__________________
2012 2WD Touring White Diamond Pearl / Grey

2006 2WD Steel Blue EX-L with Navigation (RIP - 3/10/12)
--------------------------------------------------------
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
mmmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 772
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mmmmark
Well, that is my point. The NAV ID seems like it can be written once to a non-volatile RAM location so that it isn' t easily lost on battery failure.
The Nav system isn't losing it's ID, it's the security code that needs to be entered after a power disconnect. They do this for security reasons. If the unit should be stolen, then the thief couldn't use it without that code. That's why it's also a good idea to not leave the radio/nav security code in the car.

And, you should notice that none of the radio/nav settings are lost after a power disconnect. It still remembers all of your radio station pre-sets and the address book on the nav is also all still there.

Quote:
This also seems true with the window auto-down setup.

I think it was a poor design decision to allow this loss of settings when power is lost.
The window resetting I would guess is to allow faster installation of the assembly in the factory. They don't need to get it set exactly right. Then when the car arrives at the dealer, they then "tell" the window where the max open and max closed positions are located.

But, of course this is just my opinion .

Later,
Larry.
__________________
'06 EX-L Nav 2WD (Redrock Pearl)
Stop Identity Theft in 10 Minutes!
DiskStroyer: http://www.diskstroyer.com
larrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 772
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by larrys

I've also had this issue on my '06 EX-L. I've owned the car for just over 7 months and the nav has reset twice and the auto up/down many more times. But, the two events seem to be independent of each other. Of the two times the nav reset, the window programming was undone once. The dealer replaced the nav and that seems to have cured the nav resetting (for now). But, the window resetting is still happening. I have an appt this Tues for them to again take a look at it.

While a minor issue (it certainly doesn't affect the safety of the car) it's very annoying!

Good luck to all of us!
Larry.
I took my '06 in to the dealer (Stevens Creek Honda in Santa Clara, CA) today for them to look at the window resetting (becoming unprogrammed) and they called the "Tech Line" and were told to replace the "power window control unit and retest." The don't stock this part and have ordered it.

So, it's not solved but they are trying! But, even after they replace that part, it'll be a while until I know if it's truly fixed since this doesn't happen on a regular basis.

Later,
Larry.
__________________
'06 EX-L Nav 2WD (Redrock Pearl)
Stop Identity Theft in 10 Minutes!
DiskStroyer: http://www.diskstroyer.com
larrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I had both the Window and NAV problem. Another Pilot.org user told me that he had the same problem and noticed that the box on his fuse cover was loose. He opened it, pushed down on all the fuses and has not had the problem reoccur. I opened my fuse boxes and removed/reinstalled the fuses. I'll have to see how it goes, but up to now the problem has not repeated itself.


-----------------------
'06 Pilot EX-L/NAV (Sagebrush Pearl)
smsasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by smsasaki
I had both the Window and NAV problem. Another Pilot.org user told me that he had the same problem and noticed that the box on his fuse cover was loose. He opened it, pushed down on all the fuses and has not had the problem reoccur. I opened my fuse boxes and removed/reinstalled the fuses. I'll have to see how it goes, but up to now the problem has not repeated itself.
Yep that was me. I picked up the car and within a couple weeks I got hit by the auto up/down window feature not working. I reset it and it worked. Then a month later it did it again. I was looking at the engine compartment and noticed that the fuse box cover was not fully closed. I opened it and pressed down securely on all the fuses. A couple were only 90% pressed in. Since I did this, I haven't had any problems...
davidmac27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Copyright 2000 piloteers.org. All Rights Reserved.