mouse nest in blower motor - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default mouse nest in blower motor

Hello all, I am a new Pilot owner and new to this site.
We have about 6800 miles on our 05 EX and noticed a strange sound coming from the HVAC fan motor. After removing the right exterior cowl panel and pulling the fan motor out, I discovered the fan packed with insulation and small chunks of paper from a mouse nest. I proceded to clean the pollen filter, heater housing, fan and cowl area. While cleaning I noticed a 6 inch round hole in the inner cowl panel where the fresh air inlet is, that is not covered with anything. It seems as though there should be screen or grate or something covering that huge hole. Here in Wisconsin, when the weather gets cold, the rodents try to get in. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there an easy fix? Or better yet a recall or TSB so the dealer can fix it?
Thanks
claybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

The fan was making a lot of noise on my Pilot. I took it to the dealer thinking it would be repaired under warranty. The dealer found the same problem as yours, mice. It is not coverered under warranty. So, I ended up paying for them to clean it out.
2003 Honda Pilot EXL-NAV, Starlight Silver, #86733 "Featured Pilot March 2004"
EXTERIOR-Perfect Fit Hood Guard, Lower Trim, Lower Trim Garnish, Bumper Garnish, Fog Lights with Eurodezigns H3 bulbs, Wheel Locks, Fender Flares, Crossbars, Door Mirror Covers, Vent Visors, Running Boards, Rear Splash Guards, Trailer Hitch, Pilot #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips, Euro Dezigns H4 replacing Sylvania Silverstars, Tire Minders, EX emblem, Third Brake Light Decal, Michelin CT, Chrome OEM Wheels, Muth Signal Mirrors, Sylvania #885 Back Up Lights
INTERIOR-Wooden Shift Lever, Wood Grain Interior Trim, All Weather Mats, Cargo Cover, Cargo Organizer, Cargo Tray, Cargo Liner, Trunk Organizer, Broadway Optics Mirror, Raybrig R130
ELECTRONICS-Networkcar, Power Inverter, Nav DVD upgrade V.2.11C, Rear View Camera
CUSTOM ACCESSORIES- Door Edge Guard, Foam Pads for Center Console and 2nd Row Activity Tray, Foam Pads for Doors and 3rd Row Bins and Cupholders, Dead Pedal Cover, Cargo Storage Pad, Padded Glove Box, Sunglass Holder Pad, Pillar Protection Tape, Fog Light Covers, Door Reflectors, Cargo Liner Velcro Replacement Kit, Chrome h-p License Plate Frame, VTM-4 emblem, Chrome Accent for the OEM Lower Trim, Chrome Accent for the OEM Running Boards, Chrome Grille Accent, Navi Screen Protector, Non-Slip Pad for the OEM Cargo Tray, hp.org sticker and tee

wwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Animal damage is often covered under your comprehensive insurance.

(which should have a $0 deductible according to some unnamed people here)
Old 04-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

My main concern is not the repair cost, but how to keep this from happening again. I have been a collision repair technician for 14 years, so the disassembly involved is no problem, but the damage that I have seen mice do is hard to repair. Mainly removing the smell. Luckily I cought this right away and they did'nt have time to stink it up. It seems like a poor design, but even worse is the limited access to cover the hole.
Thanks for any and all info.
claybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Its that time of year when these things happen . Don't be surprised if it happens again within a few weeks.

Suggest you park outside, or remove any recycled paper areas, and generally clean up the garage!
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

had this problem a couple of years ago with my wifes Ody... went down to the pound and picked up a nice outdoor CAT... she lives in the garage with the Rottie and have never seen a mouse since! Usually in the spring she catches at least one a week... to earn her keep
CMasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had a loud noise coming from the fan area. It turns out that a mouse tried to turn the blower motor into a hampster wheel. I was lucky that it was before it could build a nest and chew some wires.

Anyone make a cover for this area? My old Porsche has some wire mesh over the air intakes.
PorscheFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to giwan1259
Default Blower

I have a vibration coming from the blower, especially when put on high. Now that the weather is better in the north here I wanted to take a look at it. I remember a DIY showing how to get to the blower. Tried a few searches and no luck. Anyone??

My dealer is telling me if the problem is a mouse nest or leaves etc then they will charge me 200. I don't think that its leaves etc but would like to at least take a look. its still under warranty.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This isn't much help-I suspect that it requires some center console removal to get to the HVAC unit

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=HEATER+BLOWER
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to giwan1259
Default Blower

Thanks I found that one earlier but I swear I saw a more detailed DIY on here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember someone discussing how it is difficult to remove one of the screws etc etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky
This isn't much help-I suspect that it requires some center console removal to get to the HVAC unit

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=HEATER+BLOWER
Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default How to get to fan

Thanks for reminding me that this site had a description of getting to the Pilot fan. You may find what you want in the Maintenance forum under Cabin Filter Replacement
marktwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

I am a new pilot owner 2008- same thing with mice, in blower motor. It is an inherent problem with the Honda Pilot (five other cars have been parked in this garage no problem) It is caused by the loose fitting cowl cover which leaves large gaps near both hood hinges and should be covered by Honda, should be a recall issue, is a design flaw!!! If you google this you will find sooo many honda pilot owners with the same problem- should be treated by Honda (should be no cost to owner or insurance), by pulling the headliner, replacing HEPA filter and cleaning ductwork and repairing the hole.

I have only had the car for a month and I bought a honda specifically to avoid car hassle, this is horrible and Honda needs to address it-it is specific to Pilots!!!!
logicaldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to hondacuraplanet

It's not endemic to Pilots......used to get that a lot back in the mid 90s on 90-93 Integras......at least half a dozen a year

www.oemacuraparts.com
hondacuraplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hi Claybuster,

I've had 3 mice die in my car. Not counting the many that just visit; once while I was driving! Each time, I had to disassembly my car to remove the dead body and attempt to get rid of the smell. My car is currently in one of these disassembled states. Literally had to remove the middle seats, carpeting, back of middle console, carpet, and pull out the plastic air duct work from underneath. It's 2006 Pilot. Have you had any luck finding instructions on how to locate this 6 inch open hole! I love my pilot and this has really made me reconsider buying a honda for the first time in my life (I've had 4 Hondas). Would appreciate any help/direction you can provide.

Thanks.
Lorraine
lgrothoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hey, I am in stephens city, Va just paid $100.00 to have fan motor housing(squirrel Cage) cleaned out had a nest in it, only to have nest again in 2 days, anybody have an anwser? Honda wants $700 to replace blower case they chewed hole in screan. Hard to get at third screw on cover under passeners side. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
inflsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: