Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

mouse nest in blower motor

110K views 69 replies 34 participants last post by  Thrillhouse 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am a new Pilot owner and new to this site.
We have about 6800 miles on our 05 EX and noticed a strange sound coming from the HVAC fan motor. After removing the right exterior cowl panel and pulling the fan motor out, I discovered the fan packed with insulation and small chunks of paper from a mouse nest. I proceded to clean the pollen filter, heater housing, fan and cowl area. While cleaning I noticed a 6 inch round hole in the inner cowl panel where the fresh air inlet is, that is not covered with anything. It seems as though there should be screen or grate or something covering that huge hole. Here in Wisconsin, when the weather gets cold, the rodents try to get in. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there an easy fix? Or better yet a recall or TSB so the dealer can fix it?
Thanks

#2 ·
The fan was making a lot of noise on my Pilot. I took it to the dealer thinking it would be repaired under warranty. The dealer found the same problem as yours, mice. It is not coverered under warranty. So, I ended up paying for them to clean it out.

#3 ·
Animal damage is often covered under your comprehensive insurance.

(which should have a $0 deductible according to some unnamed people here):4:

#4 ·
My main concern is not the repair cost, but how to keep this from happening again. I have been a collision repair technician for 14 years, so the disassembly involved is no problem, but the damage that I have seen mice do is hard to repair. Mainly removing the smell. Luckily I cought this right away and they did'nt have time to stink it up. It seems like a poor design, but even worse is the limited access to cover the hole.
Thanks for any and all info.

#5 ·
Its that time of year when these things happen . Don't be surprised if it happens again within a few weeks.

Suggest you park outside, or remove any recycled paper areas, and generally clean up the garage!

#6 ·
had this problem a couple of years ago with my wifes Ody... went down to the pound and picked up a nice outdoor CAT... she lives in the garage with the Rottie and have never seen a mouse since! Usually in the spring she catches at least one a week... to earn her keep :)

#7 ·
I had a loud noise coming from the fan area. It turns out that a mouse tried to turn the blower motor into a hampster wheel. I was lucky that it was before it could build a nest and chew some wires.

Anyone make a cover for this area? My old Porsche has some wire mesh over the air intakes.

#8 ·
Blower

I have a vibration coming from the blower, especially when put on high. Now that the weather is better in the north here I wanted to take a look at it. I remember a DIY showing how to get to the blower. Tried a few searches and no luck. Anyone??

My dealer is telling me if the problem is a mouse nest or leaves etc then they will charge me 200. I don't think that its leaves etc but would like to at least take a look. its still under warranty.

#10 ·
#12 ·
I am a new pilot owner 2008- same thing with mice, in blower motor. It is an inherent problem with the Honda Pilot (five other cars have been parked in this garage no problem) It is caused by the loose fitting cowl cover which leaves large gaps near both hood hinges and should be covered by Honda, should be a recall issue, is a design flaw!!! If you google this you will find sooo many honda pilot owners with the same problem- should be treated by Honda (should be no cost to owner or insurance), by pulling the headliner, replacing HEPA filter and cleaning ductwork and repairing the hole.

I have only had the car for a month and I bought a honda specifically to avoid car hassle, this is horrible and Honda needs to address it-it is specific to Pilots!!!!

#14 ·
Hi Claybuster,

I've had 3 mice die in my car. Not counting the many that just visit; once while I was driving! Each time, I had to disassembly my car to remove the dead body and attempt to get rid of the smell. My car is currently in one of these disassembled states. Literally had to remove the middle seats, carpeting, back of middle console, carpet, and pull out the plastic air duct work from underneath. It's 2006 Pilot. Have you had any luck finding instructions on how to locate this 6 inch open hole! I love my pilot and this has really made me reconsider buying a honda for the first time in my life (I've had 4 Hondas). Would appreciate any help/direction you can provide.

Thanks.
Lorraine

#15 ·
Hey, I am in stephens city, Va just paid $100.00 to have fan motor housing(squirrel Cage) cleaned out had a nest in it, only to have nest again in 2 days, anybody have an anwser? Honda wants $700 to replace blower case they chewed hole in screan. Hard to get at third screw on cover under passeners side. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 ·
The cowling doesn't seem to fit down tight to the car body in many Pilots, including mine, and allows leaves, grass (and rodents I suppose).

You could glue metal screen (use Goop or silicone adhesive) over the intake-I plan to do that now that the temps are out the 100's.

Note that rodents can also get into the fan housing via the large openings in the recirculation intake behind the glove compartment--another Honda design flaw IMHO. You can glue screen over that opening as well.

#17 ·
Hey,
Thanks for respnonding so quickly! Not sure exactly where to put wire screan? Do you have any pictures or details on how to get to opening behind glove compartment as well as the intake. Honda was useless, mice chewed hole through screan in blower case and honda wan.ts $700 to replace the whole blower case but can't gaurantee it won't happen again. AC works fine now that they cleaned out squirrel cage but think they have (mice) gotten in again, it is makeing noise on high speed. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure what to do! Love my car but hate mice!

#18 ·
I think to buy plastic gutter guard in Home Depot, cut to size to cover these 2 openings. Do you mind to take 2 photos to show the locations? Thanks.

#19 ·
bigdadi's idea seems reasonable as well. Consider that vermin will chew on plastic, where they may leave metal screen alone.

The glove box tilts down by removing side clips located on the inside of the glove box. Pull on the tabs and once popped out the clips slide slightly back and can be removed.

You'll see the large squarish recirculate intake on the blower housing. You can turn on the car and switch back forth from recirculate to see the damper door operate. You'll also notice that the grate covering the opening has very large holes that stuff or live things can get into.

Chew holes can often be repaired with flexible plastic (like what indoor garbage cans or pop bottles are made of), or sheet metal. Rubber sheet made for roofing, also works well.

#20 ·
Thanks for your replies, I have hopefuly detered the mice, I know a car can not be completely mouse proofed but I have given it the old college try. I have put metal srean over the intake under the plastic covering beneath windshield washers, steel wool on hood hinges, Rat a way sprayed on engine and fresh cab, mouse magic and bounce dryer sheats in glove conpartment. $200.00 was enough for me so thanks to my husband and my fingers crossed that may be the end. Interestingly we had to go to the honda dealership to have a screw on the squirrel cage removed so we can check it periodically, and a mouse ran across the service floor, the guys laughed and said you brought your mouse to us, but the week prior to all this happening my car was at the dealership for two day haveing transmission fluid changed, I am thinking I got the mice there? Who knows just hope they don't come back!

#21 ·
Hi another qustion! After all the things I did on last post, my latest discovery is dropings under Passengers and drivers seat, but not anywhere else. Now let me say I am not positive I checked under those seats after I had car detailed on the 9th of Sept. crazy but I just can't remember. I also have had spring traps in car for 5 days now haven't caught anything. So that leads me to my questions any chance they could get under seats without going anywhere else in car???????????? 2nd- I have now since heard of all kinds of make and model cars being victum to mice infestation, so why do we think it is specific to Honda? 3-rd It has been sugested to have car fumigated by having amonia run through air ducts good idea or bad any input would be great. last but not least how do mice get to cabin air filter? Thanks in advance for any help because I have not drive car but three times since 8th of sept. and loosing patience and mind.

#22 ·
I'll take a stab at a few:

Fumigation of any kind is done to get rid of smell and occasionally insect infestations. Ammonia is highly corrosive, and I would not want it on the rather fragile evaporator core. I've used Lysol sucked into the recirc intake on occasion to deal with musty odors.

Even a "safe" fumigation is risky; you don't want the buggers to die where you can't get to them easily.

Mice can get through amazingly small openings, possibly through the fan blades. I can't imagine they'd like that spot because of large air movement and noise when the car is running.

The question is; have you found a mouse at the cabin filter or just nesting material which gets easily sucked down through the cowl and recirc intakes? I'd more suspect the mouse nest was originally in the cowl or maybe up high in the dash.

#23 ·
Have not found a moues or mice as of yet, only nesting in squirrel cage cleaned out and have not had a problim since in squirrel cage. The car does not smell at all but I do have bounce sheets in there and a product called fresh cab,so if there was I might be covering it up. If they were in dash would there be any signs? Like I said only found droppings under seats in front no where else since and could be from original infestation. Do mice leave on their own sometimes since i have removed the nest? Thanks again for your help!

#24 ·
Mouse poop anywhere in the car isn't good. If you vacuumed the car really well and then found droppings again..bad deal.

If one died in there, you'd smell it. You can peer around up under the dash for any nesting signs or mouse droppings. They'll also nibble wire and plastic.

Throw your cat in the car for an hour and see what he finds! :)

#26 ·
inflsrv said:
Just curious where and what is the cowl?
From Wikipedia ...

A cowling is a covering of a vehicle's engine, most often found on automobiles and aircraft. Cowlings can serve multiple purposes, including aerodynamics, cooling of an engine by directing airflow, as an air intake for jet engines, and for aesthetic or decorative purposes.

See NACA cowling, and Townend ring for examples in aviation.

The word cowling is derived from cowl, a garment worn by monks.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.