check engine light on - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default check engine light on

my check engine light came on @ 43,000m, dealer claimed gas cap was loose (bs), reset light for $100 & sent me on my way... 2 days later, same bs., now both times, i made sure that the gas cap is tight (at least 1 full rotation), did not topped off gas (over-filled), & key is out of ignition while filling...dealer taking me for a ride? maybe, maybe not, but i sure lost confidence on this particular dealer, thinking of getting a code reader... thoughts, anyone?

sorry i failed to mention, both times dealer found code p1456 which is evap system leak, tightened gas cap & claimed problem fixed. now i'm on the third "check engine light" within 2 weeks, & i don't want to bring it back to any honda dealer because i'm afraid i will blow my gasket if they say "the gas cap was loose" excuse for the umpteenth time... any suggestion? thanks
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2005, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Love my Hondas!!!

Could have a real leak in your gas cap. I do recommend bying a reader. You can get them for about $60 at Autozone. Autozone will read your ecu for free.
2004 Nighthawk Black / Saddle Pilot EXL w/ nav, woodgrain trim throughout, window air deflectors, running boards, fog lights, cargo cover, cargo tray, mud guards, tinted front windows, clear Llumar film on entire front, 3M door edge guard, & removable DVD player.
2001 S2000
2000 Accord Coupe V6
1989 Accord SE-i
Blkblurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default check engine light

i've used auto zone code reader before taking it to the dealer on both occurence, i also made sure the gas cap gasket is ok ( if it wasn't, wouldn't it triggered the fault light sooner than a day or so after clearing) well, if the gas cap was at fault, shouldn't the dealer catch it & corrected it, i mean, from their diagnosis of the gas cap being loose on both occasions, unless they're looking for more business...
Old 11-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Love my Hondas!!!

Default Re: check engine light

Quote:
Originally posted by binrocha
i've used auto zone code reader before taking it to the dealer on both occurence, i also made sure the gas cap gasket is ok ( if it wasn't, wouldn't it triggered the fault light sooner than a day or so after clearing) well, if the gas cap was at fault, shouldn't the dealer catch it & corrected it, i mean, from their diagnosis of the gas cap being loose on both occasions, unless they're looking for more business...
unless they're looking for more business... [/QUOTE] [/B]

That's why I have the reader. That way I know if they're telling the truth. The codes are universal and the same ones the dealer reads.
2004 Nighthawk Black / Saddle Pilot EXL w/ nav, woodgrain trim throughout, window air deflectors, running boards, fog lights, cargo cover, cargo tray, mud guards, tinted front windows, clear Llumar film on entire front, 3M door edge guard, & removable DVD player.
2001 S2000
2000 Accord Coupe V6
1989 Accord SE-i
Blkblurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Lets assume that its reading correctly and the gas cap is loose. These codes typically come on after a half a tank has been used.
Refill the tank after clearing the code and resetting the gas cap.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default how to re-set check engine light without scan tool

i found out from the service manual pg. 11-4 to reset the pcm without scan tool: on the front passenger side fuse box, #13 7.5 amp fuse... with the ignition off, pull the fuse & wait at least 10 seconds, then re-install. that should reset the check engine light.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm having the same exact problem with my 04 Pilot. Three times in two weeks and two trips to the dealership. Today will be the third. The dealership is telling me that they are going to run a smoke test on the evap system. Thanks for the tip on the #13 fuse........it reset the engine light. I just don't want to put a band-aid on something much larger. Thankfully, my vehicle is still under warranty.........
charlie_med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to hilltopper
Default check engine light

Having same engine light problem on my 04 Pilot with 39000 miles. Taking it in Monday for second time for code 1457. Has anyone gotten a resolution to this problem? There is a NHTSA item # 10014076 showing a Honda service bullitan #804 on their website but I don't know if there was a determination of defect. Dealer denies problem with defective sensor but I suspect they are hiding a common problem.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Try a new gas cap, then after that they should have a diagnostic procedure for fuel system leaks. If they don't tell then to call Honda Tech Line.

If they don't have a test, all the people calling for one should inspire them to develop one.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

OK, well screw that. The tests are in the service manual.

By the way 1456 is the gas cap, 1457 is the canister.

Either way, give the service manager an earful for NOT doing the tests in the service manual and still charging you $100.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Work order shows following:
Retrieve code P1457, EVAP CANISTER LEAK, DIAGNOSE AND TEST ALL EVAP SOLENOIDS, ALL SOLENOIDS TEST NORMAL, CHECK EVAP SYSTEM FOR DEBRI, NO DEBRI FOUND, CLEAR LIGHT, PERFORM EVAP FUNCTION TEST 3 TIMES, EACH TIME EVAP SYSTEM TEST NORMAL, RETURN TO CUSTOMER....SEVERAL DAYS LATER LIGHT was BACK ON. I don't want to pay for Honda's guessing game and have given dealer copies of messages from the net showing there seems to be a problem.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by hilltopper
Work order shows following:
Retrieve code P1457, EVAP CANISTER LEAK, DIAGNOSE AND TEST ALL EVAP SOLENOIDS, ALL SOLENOIDS TEST NORMAL, CHECK EVAP SYSTEM FOR DEBRI, NO DEBRI FOUND, CLEAR LIGHT, PERFORM EVAP FUNCTION TEST 3 TIMES, EACH TIME EVAP SYSTEM TEST NORMAL, RETURN TO CUSTOMER....SEVERAL DAYS LATER LIGHT was BACK ON. I don't want to pay for Honda's guessing game and have given dealer copies of messages from the net showing there seems to be a problem.
Since the "Check Engine" code is about the emission control system see if you can push them to cover it under the emission control warranty.

Just something to try.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

To charlie_med

Did you ever get a resolution to your problem with the engine light?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have been having issues with Check Engine light and VTM-4 light coming on and off and searched the forum and found threads on EGR valve. Took my '03 (27,000 40 months) to the dealer. They did determine the EGR Lift valve was insufficient, so that is covered by the EGR warranty extension.

Bad news is they say the the PCM Control Unit is failing for VTM-4. Failing to the tune of $1,012 as I am out of warranty on time, not miles. (Did not purchase extended warranty.)

So the service rep called his district manager to see if they could go 50/50 on it with me since it was only 4 months out of warranty and such low miles. Manager said "yes", but since that is not a stocked part (retail $650 as quoted by a neighborhood mechanic I go to that called another Honda dealership for me, $800 quoted by Honda service rep), I have to wait a week to get the work done as the same mechanic that started the work has to complete the work. (OK, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me and is inconvenient. He diagnosed but did not start any repairs. Any comments on this???)

The Check Engine code was P1491 for the EGR and 77-1 PowerTrain for VTM-4.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Get a price from Tim!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: