Crank pulley removal tool - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Crank pulley removal tool

I'm getting ready to do the timing belt on my '03 Pilot, and I need the crank pulley removal tool.

The Honda dealer wants $78 for the socket part of the tool, $83 for the extension on it (effectively a breaker bar), and they have to order them.

I see two tools on Amazon.com that say Honda Crank Pulley tool. Both are from Alltrade. The desriptions are somewhat vague "works on most Hondas and Acuras"....etc.

One part number is 648796 for $14.94, the other is 648818 for $19.99.

These prices seem a little more in line with what a special tool should cost, but I need to know which is the correct one?

The dealer's number is 07MAB-PY3010A for the socket part of the tool.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark in MA
markjmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
madvtaky0!

this is what that tool should look like!!!!

check out this link!!

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...&page=1&#37533
Old 10-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

I think you need a 50mm crank pulley removal tool for the Pilot. The Alltrade #648796 has a 50mm socket. I don't know the size of the socket of part #648818. Here is a picture of part#648796.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 648796 alltrade honda crankcase pulley removal tool_.jpg (3.6 KB, 1300 views)

OEM Full Nose Mask | Wheel Locks | Cross Bars | OEM Running Boards | Chrome Accent - OEM Running Board | Rear Splash Guard | OEM '04 Horn | Cloud-Rider Spectare Black Stainless Steel Grille Screen & Bumper Combo | Thule Ski Rack #725 | Thule Snowboard Carrier #575 |OEM All Season Floor Mats |OEM Cargo Tray | Pilot Motorsports #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips | PowerStation Pro Portable Charger/Compressor/Emergency Light | Tire Step Ladder | Eurodezigns Blue Xenon H4 Bulbs & H3 Fog Light Bulbs | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Dynamat Original/Extreme | Complete Set of 3M Protector | 3M Metallic Tint | Covercraft Noah Custom Cover | Microtune #141X Antenna Amplifier | Dashmat Dash Cover | Full Size Spare Tire | Broadway Napolex BW-86 Wide Inside Rear View Mirror | Complete Sets of Dark Smoke WeatherTech WeatherFlectors | Westin Black Rear Bumper Guard | 3rd Brake Light Mod | 6 Disc CD Changer |

The dawn of love would be the end of pleasure!
john802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

Oddly enough, the price for that tool went down from $14.94 to $12.97 overnight....literally.

Placed my order.

Sure beats $161 for the two tools Honda wanted to sell me!! I find it painful to spend that kind of money for a tool that is used once every 100,000 miles to change a timing belt, when the timing belt itself is only about $40.

Mark in MA
markjmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hello, my 03 Pilot just reached the recommended mileage to replace the TB. Any confirmation if the Alltrade #648796 tool did the job. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
sansed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

The tool is a good idea, or you could do it how I have in the past. Using a breaker bar and a steel pipe, attach it to the crank pulley bolt coming out of the hood. Then take a wheel off, put the car in gear, and lodge a long socket wrench or something similar in between the lug nut bolts (bolts coming out of the rotor) and place a jackstand next to it. Then pull on the pipe so the axel spins and the socket wrench that is lodged in the bolts hits the jack stand and get tight (basically keeping the rotor from spinning). If everything is all good, you can work the crank pulley bolt off. Sorry if this is confusing, if you want some more info I can possibly draw a picture
Nathan @ NBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: