Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2016 pilot and recent Android 7 bluetooth connection fails

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Slb35019 
#1 ·
We bought the 2016 Pilot early last year, and used our LG Nexus 5x Android phones to connect to it successfully for the rest of the year with only minor issues that re-Pairing the phone worked to fix.

Recently (in the last month), we can no longer make calls or receive calls using the Hands Free Link. While the Pilot says that the phone is paired, the following issues arise:
1. When dialing using the screen in the Pilot, the call shows as dialing on the screen, but the phone never begins the call, and after a few seconds, the call is dropped on the Pilot screen.
2. When an incoming call occurs on the phone, we can't answer the phone using the Pilot screen, and when we do answer the phone itself, the phone shows as using the bluetooth connection, but only for a few seconds, before changing to handset audio.

We both have the same phone, and these issues happen for each of us, so it's not a single-phone hardware issue.

Anyone having the same issue with other phones? Looking at other threads, bluetooth has been problematic for a while with various phones, but the fact that it worked for 8 months prior to this issue arising makes me think this is something else.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is most likely your phone. Wife has 2016 exl and she had tons of issues with Pandora connecting and then dropping. 3 months later the screen went out on the phone. New phone no more problems. If we reset the radio to the factory settings and reset the phone completely it would work for about a day. Try that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I am having the same problems with my ?16 pilot. My phone (Google Pixel) and my husband's (Nexus 5X) are both running 7.1.1 and can only make phone calls through the head unit seemingly at random.

I have found if you turn the Bluetooth off and then back on through the settings in the main menu on the head unit and force the phone to re-pair, sometimes I can make a phone call. Usually I have to do this 2 or more times. I always have to do it after I end a call because, for some reason, my Honda doesn't recognize that I've ended the call and won't go back to playing the radio unless I break the Bluetooth connection. Then I have to reconnect a couple times until I can successfully make a phone call.

I have never been able to answer the phone over the Bluetooth successfully since switching to Android 7. I had an iPhone 6 previously running iOS 10, and that was buggy, but nowhere as terrible and frustrating as this experience.

#4 ·
I may have a solution for you. If you are comfortable with enrolling your phones in the Android Beta program, it seems that updating to 7.1.2 has solved the Bluetooth connection problems I was having. I signed my phone up for the beta program here (https://www.google.com/android/beta?u=0). Before I tried to connect to my car, I deleted the car from my phone and my phone from my car and re-paired the devices. I am not sure if this is necessary, but it seemed like it couldn't hurt.

Using Bluetooth audio still sounds like a skipping CD a lot of the time, but I don't use it enough for it to bother me and I would much rather be able to make phone calls through my car.

Be aware that beta versions of software are not fully tested and may have bugs/problems that could affect other functions of your phone or apps. You can follow the link above and unenroll your device if you have problems and the OS version will be rolled back to 7.1.1.

I hope this is helpful!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.