A Buyer's Guide: Light Trailers and Towables with a GVWR of 3500 Pounds or Less - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-30-2004, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default A Buyer's Guide: Light Trailers and Towables with a GVWR of 3500 Pounds or Less

Here's a link to Truck Trend light trailers and towables buyer's guide.

Truck Trend Trailers Buyers Guide link

Edited 6/30/04: added manufacturers website links in this thread just in case the link to the article get broken in the future.

Casita Enterprises
Towable RV - Travel trailers
(800) 442-9986
http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com

CastleCraft
Canoe & Kayak trailers
(888) 274-8490
http://www.castlecraft.com

Coleman
Folding Trailers by Fleetwood
(800) 444-4905
http://www.colemantrailers.com

Fleetwood
http://www.fleetwoodrv.com

Featherlite
Enclosed Utility/ ATV/ Motorcycle trailers
(800) 800-1230
http://www.fthr.com

Kendon
Motorcycle Dual Rail Stand-up trailers
(800) 847-8618
http://www.kendontrailers.com

Loadmaster
Snowmobile trailers
(715) 387-3414
http://www.hsloadmaster.com

Shoreland'r
Utility ATV and 12'-16' Boat trailers
(800)859-3028
http://www.shorelandr.com

Thor California
Towable RV Travel trailers
(909) 697-4190
http://www.thorca.com

Triton
Personal Watercraft Single/ Double trailers
(800) 232-3780
http://www.tritontrailers.com

For more information, contact the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association at (800) 336-0154, or find it at http://www.RVIA.com

Note: Let me know if there are any links that's not working and I'll fix it. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light_trailers_suzukisuv.jpg (18.1 KB, 5541 views)
'04 Pilot EX Taffeta White, fog lights, HD towing package with trans and HD PS coolers, backup sensors, rear splash guards, auto dimming/ compass mirror and cargo cover Delivery date: 10/28/03 VIN: 518225 Transmission recall completed 7/5/04
DIY: Cloud-Rider bright mirror finish stainless Spectare TM mesh & large holes grilles, Honda half nose mask, large cargo net, wwong's center console pads set, fog covers, door reflectors, dead pedal cover, Dash-Topper dash cover, Covercraft UVS100 Heat Shield windshield cover, Honda 6 spokes alloy wheels X 5 plus wheel locks with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires X 5 and SmarTire tire pressure/ temperature monitoring system, full size spare, Blitzsafe aux input converter, Alpine IVA-D900 with 7 inch monitor DVD head unit, Alpine NVE-N852A NAV Ver 2.0, Alpine TME-M580 monitor and honda-pilot.org stickers

See my pics at the gallery
desertpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Admin Du Jour

Great find! How 'bout a sticky?
TheWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
cloak'd M E M B E R

Great info...thanks for the post.

I've been trying hard to convinve Mrs borg that this is the trailer that we should get.....unfortunately she's not ready to move up from tenting to trailer yet.

Airstream International CCD 16ft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home.jpg (8.6 KB, 5474 views)

borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Oahu_Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by borg
Great info...thanks for the post.

I've been trying hard to convinve Mrs borg that this is the trailer that we should get.....unfortunately she's not ready to move up from tenting to trailer yet.

Airstream International CCD 16ft.
I would like to get one of the popups. Friend has one you crank up and there ya go. Two sleeping area and all. Propane powered. Not even a clue what they cost/weigh, but he towed it with his little Suzuki mini-suv for awhile. So Pilot will handle it just fine. Im tired of setting up tents and all that. Getting too lazy in my mid-age.

Oahu_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I have a medium to large pop-up and the Pilot does just fine, even through the mountains. My pop-up is a 2003.5 Coleman Cheyenne it was right around 3000 lbs loaded to the gills, this size of pop-up range from $5500-8000 depending on brand, extras and any discounts you may get. Ours retailed for $9k but we got quite a bit discounted. Not to many people around here pay MSRP at least that I know of.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pilotmountain copy2.jpg (47.8 KB, 5443 views)
2003.5 Coleman Cheyenne
m-mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Oahu_Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by m-mmeyer
I have a medium to large pop-up and the Pilot does just fine, even through the mountains. My pop-up is a 2003.5 Coleman Cheyenne it was right around 3000 lbs loaded to the gills, this size of pop-up range from $5500-8000 depending on brand, extras and any discounts you may get. Ours retailed for $9k but we got quite a bit discounted. Not to many people around here pay MSRP at least that I know of.

Matt
I want. Just dont wanna pay that much. At least not right now. Got too many other things to worry about. Looking for houses here right now with some land so gotta save up the coinage.
Oahu_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Here's another mini trailer called HERMAN All-Terrain made by Let's Go Aero Sport Performance Carriers.

Pic and link below:

Let's Go AERO site link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg letsgoaero_all-terrain_trailer.jpg (9.0 KB, 5344 views)
'04 Pilot EX Taffeta White, fog lights, HD towing package with trans and HD PS coolers, backup sensors, rear splash guards, auto dimming/ compass mirror and cargo cover Delivery date: 10/28/03 VIN: 518225 Transmission recall completed 7/5/04
DIY: Cloud-Rider bright mirror finish stainless Spectare TM mesh & large holes grilles, Honda half nose mask, large cargo net, wwong's center console pads set, fog covers, door reflectors, dead pedal cover, Dash-Topper dash cover, Covercraft UVS100 Heat Shield windshield cover, Honda 6 spokes alloy wheels X 5 plus wheel locks with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires X 5 and SmarTire tire pressure/ temperature monitoring system, full size spare, Blitzsafe aux input converter, Alpine IVA-D900 with 7 inch monitor DVD head unit, Alpine NVE-N852A NAV Ver 2.0, Alpine TME-M580 monitor and honda-pilot.org stickers

Old 07-02-2004, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Excellent post and replies. I have been thinking about buying a trailer to do some camping with my Pilot, this is a great source. Thanks!
rockman19762001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Safety Towing Accessories

Trailer Guardian towing hitch lock by Safety Products, Inc., has taken safety and security in a higher level. The new unique lock prevents the accidental decoupling and theft of a trailer. The system kit locks and secures the trailer on the ball mount, preventing decoupling even with an accidental mismatched coupler and ball, nonsecured coupler, or loss of the ball nut. The kits fit all hitch-ball applications.

Safety Products, Inc. 800-861-7416

Trailer Guardian - Safety Products, Inc. website link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer_guardian_ballmount.jpg (50.1 KB, 5217 views)

Old 10-08-2004, 04:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

I also pull a Coleman brand tent trailer and have the OEM hitch. These units come in three sizes, an 8, 10, and 12 ft. interior "box". We were going to buy a new 10 footer but happened to find a 4 year old 12 footer being sold online for half the price of new and we love it. The Pilot pulls it with no prob but the rear end will squat down about an inch or so. I might install an airbag system to help level the load. I wish the rear springs were a bit beefier.
99 Coleman Westlake Tent Trailer
Airlift 1000 air bags
Thule Evolution 1600
Infinity 6002si
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/cl...ss_id=CA_TS_01

Check out this new adjustable ball mount for your hitch receiver. Bought at Walmart for $50. There is a large 7/8" nut on the top that you turn with a socket wrench. Always have the right ball height for a level trailer.

Adjusts from 7-3/4" (20cm) drop to 6-1/4" (16cm) rise

Capacity: 5,000 lb. Trailer, 500 lb. Tongue
99 Coleman Westlake Tent Trailer
Airlift 1000 air bags
Thule Evolution 1600
Infinity 6002si
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

We have a Quicksilver 10' camper that is all aluminum...no wood to rot or invite varmits. We got tired of tent camping, but didn't want to go too far over to the "dark side". The swing down galley is great, 2 queen beds and lots of room. We love it!

Here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47b4d725b3127cce9bef2043e85d00000026108ayswtvi2yte.jpg (51.5 KB, 4642 views)
Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

One popup trailer Pilot owners should consider is Kamparoo. My brother has its near identical predecessor - a Combi-Camper and loves it. Though it's a bit unconventional looking, it's superlightweight and stores easily. I also see on one of the Kamparoo web sites that they make one designed for rough SUV use.

My wife and I have a small 2004 Fleetwood (Coleman) with equalizer hitch which towed just fine behind our 2002 Odyssey the couple times we took it out. Anyway, If we didn't need the extra space we'd have sure considered finding a used Combi or picking up a Kamparoo.

www.outbackkamping.com/

www.kamparoo.com
Tatonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

My wife never really liked the soft-sided trailers, but she doesn't mind these hard-sided pop-ups. They've got plenty of room, aren't too heavy, and are nice and quiet to sleep in.

Chalet RV
Current: 2008 4WD EX-L NAV - OEM Tow Package - OEM Running Boards - Sirius conversion using OEM headunit and antenna - Vizualogic A-1250 Dual DVD Headrests - RGB converter for DVD on NAV screen - Hitch-Haul - Air Lift 1000 - USA-Spec PA15-HON2 - DEI 452T Auto Locks - Thule Crossroads and Cargo Box - Michelin Latitudes

Old: 2005 EX-L NAV
jcantanixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Shadow Cruiser

The 13 ft shadow cruiser travel trailer also fits that.

http://www.shadowcruiser.com/ffspecs.htm
josh764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: