Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

DVD Option

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Evergreen 
#1 ·
I'm contemplating if I should get the DVD option when I purchase our Pilot. Is it worth the extra $2k (+/-) on top of the EX leather price? My local dealer doesn't have one available yet so I can't "test drive" the DVD.
It is suppose to come with 2 wireless headphones. How much does it cost to purchase extra headphones?
The brochure also mentioned that a game console or other sources can be connected. How easy is it to do so?
Thanks for your response.

#3 ·
Aftermarket DVD??

We're firmly in the consideration stage for buying a Pilot. Right now, I wondering if an aftermarket DVD system (headrest mounted or roof mounted) would be better than the OEM system installed when the Pilot is built.

I've checked out the Alpine and Panasonic sites and it looks like I can buy the parts (DVD player & monitor(s)) within the cost of the RES option from Honda. Installation is extra, naturally.

But, how well do aftermarket systems integrate with the factory stereo and how well do they 'fit' into the interior of the vehicle? (i.e. roof mounted monitor and access to the GameBoy input ports)

Any experience with this?

Rob

#4 ·
Even the best aftermarket systems are no where nearly as nicely integrated as the the one that come from the factory. The additional cost for the getting the RES is only $1500. If you were to have someone do the install for you, you would probably come close to the same price.

My neighbor has an aftermarket system she put in her Suburban and it is a PITA. She has to lean back with the remote to operate the system, the DVD player is under the seat and pretty much impossible to change while driving, the cords for the video game are kinda of hanging out in the back. It works, it was cheaper, but it definitely looks chintzy and cheap.

I have thought about doing a DVD system myself because I can buy all the parts at wholesale, but after I saw how well the Honda systems looks and works, it's worth the extra $$ to have it look nice and work well.

#6 ·
Aftermarket DVD

I'm considering the aftermarket DVD option as well. There are a number of pros and cons that I've come up with. Here is a partial list. Can anyone add to it?

Pros:
1) You can buy a bigger screen. Audiovox makes a 10" screen for under $1000. You could even go to a 13" screen...maybe bigger. To me...a 10" screen over a 7" is a MAJOR "pro".
2) You "could" get a system that does true Dolby Digital decoding. Although I think you're still looking at an extra $1000 just for that feature. Most of us will end up settling for stereo.
3) Many of the systems receive broadcast television as well.
4) Not sure if this is a pro....but I'm guessing you could still purchase the DVD drive from Honda. This would at least make the dashboard look like a Honda solution.

Cons:
1) Will probably be a nightmare installation.
2) Will be very difficult to make it match the upholstery.
3) Won't have the convenient AUX jacks for video games...etc.
4) After installation....you'll most likely end up spending more.

#7 ·
DVD

I haven't heard anything about this in this thread but I bought a portable DVD for my last car. It's the Panisonic DVD LV-60. It's a great DVD Player. I rest it on the armrest in between the front seats and kids in the backseat can see it fine. I have an output device that connects to a casette and plugs into the stereo from there. The sound is excellent and the kids love it. The DVD has a power cord that adapts to the power outputs in the car.

Advantages:
I can take the DVD out of the car and use it whereever we go. It also connects to a regular TV and acts as a regular DVD player. I've also used it on planes and trains. I bought it over the net for about $600 last summer.

Disadvantage:
You've got to lug it around and I guess it might be difficult to view from the third row of seats, but I don't plan on using that row too often on long trips because I've only got two kids.

Evergreen

#8 ·
Here's one that might work very well!!!

I've been surfing the web for an aftermarket DVD Entertainment system. I think I might have found one that is pretty much plug and play with the Pilot. If the Pilot RES is identical to the Odyssey RES....which I think it is....I'll bet this setup would work. Check out this link.

http://www.rearseatvideo.com/odysseyk.htm

#9 ·
Very nice looking system. I wonder if it block the view from the rear view mirror though. Looks like it sticks down quite a bit.

#10 ·
Hmmmm.....you could be right.

I'll keep the rear view mirror concern in mind. But when you pull the screen down....don't they all block your view? Or maybe only the really large screen ones do. I'd hate to spend the extra money to get a 10" screen...just to find out that it totally blocks my view.

#11 ·
Funny, that was one of the first things I check when I sat in an EX-L RES. No, it didn't block the rear view.

It just looked to me that the one from above looked like it stuck down quite a bit. Mostly because of the thickness of the base that mounts to the roof. And I was looking at the 7". I can only image how much the 10" stick down:( :(

#12 ·
Drop down monitor blocking rear view?

Anyone else have any experience with either the Honda Pilot EX-RES or an aftermarket RES? I'm not surprised to hear that the Honda RES doesn't interfere with the rear view mirror...they probably couldn't get away with selling it if it did. Does it "totally" unrestrict the view...or does it let you see "most" of the view? What about aftermarket setups? Do most aftermarket 7" screens give the same view? What about a 10" or a 13"? Surely there must be someone out there that reads this board that has tried this already. I really am leaning towards www.rearseatvideo.com. Assuming they don't tell me that their Odyssey kit won't work on a Pilot. Feedback!!! I need Feedback!!! Thanks all.

#13 ·
Blocking rear view

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have the res, but I have a thought that might help the drop down blocking the rear view mirror problem. You see, I'm 6'4" and had some problems seeing the instrument panel through the steering wheel. I used the power driver's seat (and the steering wheel adjustment) to get the seat into a position where I could see the instrument panel. It only took a few minutes to get used to the new driving position.

Perhaps it might be possible to adjust the seat height or position in conjunction with the rear view mirror to help alleviate this problem.

BTW, I took my pilot to a friend's house out on Long Island today and knew I'd have to drive back to the City in terrible Hamptons traffic tonight (Sunday). You know what - the traffic wasn't so bad in the Pilot. I wasn't in my typical angry traffic mood, I was actually enjoying getting more time in my Pilot; and my kids were just fine with my Panasonic LV 60 DVD, they watched dragontales. I turned the fade all the way to the rear and was able to have a nice conversation with my wife at the same time.

I'm really enjoying the staring on the road. Some people (mostly CRV owners) are even giving me the thumbs up when they see the Pilot.

Evergreen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.