Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

power steering belt adjustment tips required.

11K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Spirit chaser 
#1 ·
My '04 power steering belt is slipping sometimes, making a noise and jerky steering. I want to adjust it and have the user manual but am having a hell of a time getting at the mounting nut underneath the pump. The engine mount makes access for a socket and ratchet seem impossible. Has anyone adjusted the belt and have any tips they could share. It would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
The serpentine belt runs the steering pump, alternator, AC compressor, etc. It is self-adjusted with a tensioner pulley. Your problem could be due to a tired belt, a bad tensioner, or both. I have an '06 but I believe your '04 is the same - the steering pump is not adjustable.

#5 · (Edited)
If the passenger side motor mount on the 2004 is the same as the 2005 you might be able to do this:
1) Place jack under the oil pan. Use a 2x4 or 2x6. Raise the jack until the wood block contacts the bottom of the oil pan. On my 2005 the engine shouldn't move (based on what I've read) when the passenger side motor mount was removed but I put the jack there just in case.
2) Remove the large bolt which goes between the engine mount bracket (silver) and motor mount (black).
3) Remove the two bolts on the engine mount bracket (silver).
4) At this point you should be able to remove the engine mount bracket.

Hopefully this would give you access to that adjustment bolt you're trying to get to.

Good Luck,
Steve

#11 ·
I have an '04 but never had a problem with this or even thought about having to remove the side engine mount. You just have to loosen the two mounting points on the pump so the pump can pivot down at the rear mounting bolt when you turn out the adjustment screw. I can't remember now, but you may have to pop out the power steering reservior free up and move the line out of the way to get to nuts and bolts. When you put new belt on, snug the mounting points first and then adjust the adjuster nut to tighten the belt. And don't tighten the belt to much or you'll mess up the pump shaft seal and it'll leak eventually. Not 2 minutes, but definitely less than 30 mins to put on a new belt, 15 mins if your just adjusting the belt.

#12 ·
Realize this is a old thread, but just done mine last night. 1/4 drive socket & extension, slightly loosen the lower mount bolt on pump, same thing with the other mount bolt on pump, adjust the tension with a deep well socket then re tighten the mount bolts, test, done! I had to replace the pump so I also replaced the belt. The 04 has a separate belt for the power steering pump. Block and jack under the oil pan is recommended, remove the 2 bolts for the mount and then you can replace either belt, took me an hour in the dark by myself, have fun 😊