Pilot vs Blizzard of 2016? - Page 4 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another video from carquestion. A lot of the same clips all condensed into an "off reading" video, plus more of the oh **** stuck in the ice clip.
http://youtu.be/s9OShPu6S50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryced15 View Post
Another video from carquestion. A lot of the same clips all condensed into an "off reading" video, plus more of the oh **** stuck in the ice clip.

http://youtu.be/s9OShPu6S50

That's hilarious... Too bad we don't know anything about what modes they were using on those hill climbs.
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:56 PM

I bet they have 4 snow tires put on. Anybody asked?

2016 Pilot EX w/ sensing, White Diamond
Previous ride: 2005 Pilot EX, Sage Brush

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMet View Post
Yes, I believe the reviewer mentions the brand in the full video posted earlier. I'd like to see more of these awd tests. There's a scarcity in Youtube for this car.

Edit: It's near the beginning of the video where he tours the car exterior (~4:20). They are Michelin latitudes winter tires.

2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD - Dark Cherry Pearl
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChillyWind; 02-04-2016 at 07:22 PM.
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMet View Post
Those do indeed look like snow tires...
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:57 PM

Must be Michelin Latitude X-Ice XI2. The reviewer mentions Michelin winter tires in the full review.

I'm really impressed he backed out of that frozen mud-hole.

I tout dat was a tow job fur sure, eh.
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:26 PM

I am not that much impressed with its winter performance with four Michelin snow tires on. Not disappointed either. Few years back, I put on four Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on my front wheel drive Jetta and I could go anywhere as long as the car is not belly float on snow bank. I am do impressed that the truck backed out that icy ditch though.

2016 Pilot EX w/ sensing, White Diamond
Previous ride: 2005 Pilot EX, Sage Brush
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 PM

Garage
Talking Lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I'm really impressed he backed out of that frozen mud-hole.

I tout dat was a tow job fur sure, eh.
There was an edit, so we'll never really know for sure how much he struggled to get aoout, eh?

Actually, I think this may be from Quebec, with the guy's accent in English being a mix of Portuguese and Quebec French + he has only a rear plate with dark blue characters on a white background + there's a French dashboard display shown briefly near the end.

For not waving him off when he saw him heading straight for the icy bog, the driver's cameraman "buddy" deserves a good slap upside the noodle.

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(green);
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:54 PM

"I am not that much impressed with its winter performance with four Michelin snow tires on. Not disappointed either. Few years back, I put on four Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on my front wheel drive Jetta and I could go anywhere as long as the car is not belly float on snow bank. I am do impressed that the truck backed out that icy ditch though."

Mine is a tank with Blizzaks, but I don't go out of my way to look for trouble. I'm still trying to figure out the traction modes and whether/when to disable VSA, but in this low-snow year it is rarely an issue.

"There was an edit, so we'll never really know for sure how much he struggled to get aoout, eh?"

Yeah, I noticed that "blip" in the video. Maybe they stuffed the cameraman's skivvies in there for traction?
plplplpl likes this.

Last edited by Wanderer; 02-04-2016 at 10:00 PM.
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I don't go out of my way to look for trouble.
That's because you probably bought your Pilot. This guy has a plate that starts with an "F," which means it's a rental. That why he seems to have no qualms about being so rough on it. He's returning it to the rental company after and then it'll be somebody else's problem if the abuse takes its toll.

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
(green);
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:07 AM

How do we know if we have Intelligent Variable Torque Management™ (i-VTM4™) AWD System equipped?
I think this might be the answer to some of us only spinning the front wheels when stuck.
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti_mulus View Post
How do we know if we have Intelligent Variable Torque Management™ (i-VTM4™) AWD System equipped?
I think this might be the answer to some of us only spinning the front wheels when stuck.
Huh? Did you buy the AWD version? If you rented, borrowed, or stole it, look for the AWD badge on the back, a rear differential under the back end, and a driveshaft running the length of the vehicle.

BS aside, according to Honda, in some traction modes it is normal for the rear wheels not to spin when they don't have traction. I don't fully understand this, and I can't seem to find where I read it, but I think it is related to the traction control/VSA system. That seems to be more intrusive than it was on other VTM-4 vehicles I have owned.

It sounds like "snow mode" with VSA off is the best combination for getting unstuck in snow, but leaving VSA off may not be a good choice at highway speeds.

Whether the AWD is working as it should is a different question than whether it is equipped, but I guess it isn't as simple as looking for rear wheel spin. There is supposed to be an AWD warning light on the dash if the system shuts down due to overheating or other failure. I don't think there is any way for the driver to shut the AWD system off, other than maybe pulling a fuse, so I don't think "user error" is an issue other than the traction modes. The i-VTM4 AWD system is engaged at the rear differential by an electrical hydraulic pump [edit: one electric motor, two pumps], electrical proportional hydraulic valves, and hydraulically actuated clutches.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, read this:

Acura SH-AWD: A Comprehensive Analysis (Updated Jan.8, 2016) - YouWheel.com - Car News and Review

and this: http://papers.sae.org/2015-01-1098/
( preview option on this page )

If your vehicle's belly is on top of packed snow and you have spun the tires so there is ice under them, you are pretty much stuck no matter what you're driving. You need a shovel to get the snow out from under the chassis and clear a path for the wheels to get moving. It doesn't hurt to have sand or kitty litter to throw down around the tires.

BTW, tires are everything!

Thanks for the question. I learned something from actually reading the manual!

Pilot vs Blizzard of 2016?-awd_indicator.jpg

Pilot vs Blizzard of 2016?-vsa_awd.jpg

Pilot vs Blizzard of 2016?-traction_modes.jpg

Pilot vs Blizzard of 2016?-vsa.jpg

Last edited by Wanderer; 02-05-2016 at 06:39 PM.
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 AM

I got stuck in the big storm myself, kind of on purpose to see how well the 4WD worked. I backed into some deep snow and as I pulled back out I wasn't going anywhere. Low and behold the dash message told me to turn off traction control to get unstuck! I pushed the button to deactivate it and drove right out.
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:18 AM

Not sure if this has been covered, but just wanted to relay my experience driving the pilot in Colorado's recent snow storm. Not as bad as the one that hit the east coast last month, but still it's been the most snow we've seen here in a while. We got anywhere from 1ft to 2ft depending on the part of town it was.

To sum it up, the Pilot is pretty awesome and I still have the OEM tires on. The clearance allowed me to plow through the deep stuff on the first day and when it all turned to slush and ice the next two days with more snow on top the Pilot kept on moving through it.

I tried both the snow modes and regular mode. In regular mode the Pilot would cut back the power dramatically when the wheels started slipping...almost to the point the Pilot would come to a stop if the snow/slush was too deep or you were heading up a hill. When I switched it over to snow there was still a reduction in power during slippage but it wasn't as severe...just enough to keep you going but not enough to make you lose control. It was a pretty good balance IMO. I never turned it off to see what it would since the vehicle is so heavy I didn't want to totally lose control plus for some reason people in my neighborhood don't use their garages and park their cars on the street.

In my Audi A4 I don't have snow mode, so it also loses power when it slips and slides. Now seeing how snow mode works in the Pilot I wish the Audi had one. But I did turn off traction control in my Audi going up a snow packed and slush filled hill one day. I floored it and the thing just ripped up the hill with no issues...of course the car was flying all over the place so I had to keep it under control, but it was fun.

Also, saw the comment about FWD with snow tires being able to go through anything. Most of the cars who got stuck around here were FWD with snow tires...they just didn't have the clearance to push through especially when the snow turned to slush and started to pile up in he neighborhood streets. This would also be the same for AWD cars like my Audi, so clearance is another factor and when we were pushing people out we told them don't stop in the deep slushy stuff.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:42 PM

2016 Honda Pilot on 2016 Snowmageddon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160124_snomagadon.jpg_tnail.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	499.3 KB
ID:	80425  

=================
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD - Crystal Black Pearl
-Running Boards
-Roof rack
-Door side moldings
-Door trim package
-2" Honda Hitch
-------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: