Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Garmin Navigation Updates

100K views 229 replies 73 participants last post by  Honda7 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried to update the Map to the most current version in your pilot yet?

I tried this morning and I cannot get my pilot to format the thumb drive with the system info so that the Garmin Express software will recognize it.

Each time I go to the Device Menu and choose update it tells me I must insert a mass data storage device.

#2 ·
So I ran a utility on my thumb drive and figured it out. The first thing the system does is verify 16gb of free space. I have no idea why it requires 16gb as the update and settings that are applied to the storage device are less than 2mb...

FWIW...2.70 which is what my Pilot shipped with from the factory is the latest update from Garmin.

#7 ·
"Keep the engine running for one hour"! How much gas does this cost to update the map? Oh my! Anyone knows if we can drive while the map is being updated? It would make sense to update only when you have an hour long drive to do, not just let the car idle for one hour.

#5 ·
This is very good news. Garmin usually updates maps quarterly. Firmware updates for their devices are somewhat random. But I doubt Garmin is responsible for the firmware of the Honda head-unit. In any case, firmware updates are separate from map updates on Garmin devices.

FWIW the latest maps of North America for Garmin's stand-alone automotive GPS receivers are about 6GB.

#8 ·
Thanks, tdkpal, I found the FAQs.

https://honda.garmin.com/honda/faqs/en.html

Can I drive my car while I’m updating my navigation application?
Yes, but your navigation will be disabled until the update is complete.

5 years of free Garmin map updates, user installable or dealer installable

Garmin navigation app software updates are dealer installable only

Anyone get the feeling they are making this up as they go?

#11 ·
I'm trying to get my 2016 touring updated. Is there a specific usb I should be using. My nav. system says it's a 2.60 so I guess I'm ok but I tried twice to follow the instructions here without anything being downloaded to my 16gb formatted memory stick. I can't get it to respond past the initial placement of the memory stick. What am I doing wrong?

#12 ·
The problem is the 16gb memory stick. Please review my earlier statement.

The USB stick must have at least 16gb of FREE space in order to work. A 16gb stick will not have 16gb of FREE space. Get a bigger memory stick. The first thing the system does is check the empty blocks on the thumb drive. If it doesn't detect at least 16gb of free space it wont download the navigation info to the stick.

#13 ·
Thanks for the response :). So I tried a 128gb stick and again no response after the initial instruction to load a usb drive. I had the engine running for an hour and ... nothing. I took the memory stick out of the vehicle and took it to my computer and it was blank?
Again I ask if i'm using the wrong usb input or am I just not waiting loooong enough?

#17 · (Edited)
I did mine from the 2.5A USB port under the dash. That's in a Touring.

The script that does the directory installation on the USB thumb drive isn't very robust. Apparently, if there is anything it doesn't expect on the drive, it will just stop.

Freshly format a 16+ GB USB thumb drive in FAT32 ( I used a 32GB ). Put nothing on it. Plug it into one of the USB ports in the vehicle ( NOT the ones on the back of the center console in Touring/Elite... those are charging only ). Go to the Navigation screen and click on the Nav menu in the lower right ( three short horizontal lines ). Scroll down and go to settings>device>update map. Click "OK" at the notice. In seconds a new notice should appear "Map info has been written [...] ". ( It should have created a "Garmin" directory containing a file "GarminDevice.xml"). Remove the thumb drive.

Download, install, and launch Garmin Express on a computer with internet access. One source here:

https://honda.garmin.com/honda/?lang=en_US#getStarted

Plug in the "blessed" thumb drive and then "add device" in Garmin Express. It should recognize the device and spit out version information on the vehicle's app and map installation. It will probably tell you that everything is up to date and there is nothing more to be done. If you register the device with Garmin, you will have the option to request e-mail notification when a map update becomes available. If you leave Garmin Express active on the computer, it will pop up a notification when the time comes. ( Probably only worthwhile if you have other Garmin devices ).

Great, now you're ready to do the next map installation in about a year. ;) And don't worry, you can always "bless" another thumb drive when the time comes. ( I just tried... ).

#19 ·
I haven't found a way to do so. I got the Garmin Express to work to update the symbols for the car in the map, but not the waypoints.

Also, I couldn't get 8gb or 64gb thumb drives to work, so I ended up re-partitioning my 64gb drive as 16gb (16384 MB) FAT32 format and the Garmin XML file was able to be written for the first step of the map update. I used the right 2.5A port to do so.

I talked to OEM Garmin tech support and he told me 2.70 is the latest software for our nav system and he has no idea when the next update is coming out.

#24 ·
Here is the instructions on how to update GPS files when Honda is using Garmin products.

https://honda.garmin.com/honda/#getStarted

It seemed a little odd at first but I suspect that the USB has to have downloaded to it data about your cars current version of software. Then, using your computer you go to Garmin to download any available updates. Finally you go back out to your car with the USB and upload the updates to the car.

Stolen from my post in a similar thread. Info came from Garmin!

#25 · (Edited)
Yes, Garmin says map updates will be downloadable and user installable when they become available, and Honda OEM customers are entitled to 5 years of map updates at no additional charge. This implies there will be a charge for updates after 5 years. On their stand-alone automotive devices, this runs about $80 for "lifetime map updates" that include points-of-interest along with updated maps.

But the issue at hand is the Garmin software application that runs on Honda's Android operating system. It seems there are already two versions floating around ( 2.60 and 2.70 ), and it's not clear Garmin and Honda are on the same page about updates of this software, or any other apps on the infotainment system.

But the Nav app is separate from the map database. AFAIK, that is true on all GPS devices, but for Honda/Acura built-ins the purchased annual update discs have always included the most recent application and the map database on the same disc. This is new territory.

BTW, the reasons I care about the version of the software app are: 1) sometimes my Nav app crashes or fails to load and 2) the satellite acquisition is sluggish and not very robust, and the GPS wanders more than most devices I have used, especially more recent ones. Whether these are software or hardware issues remains to be seen.

#31 ·
I have a 2016 EXL that is 2 weeks old. The navigation system came up telling us it is out of date. (How do you find out what version maps you do have?). We followed the instructions and were able to get the XML file on the USB drive. The EXE file was downloaded to a hard drive, so I copied it onto the USB drive. I was not able to get it to recognize the map update. I then wrote the EXE file inside the GARMIN directory where the XML file is. Same result. It just rewrites the XML file. I've done a lot of work with hardware and software, and this is a pretty poor implementation. So how do you get it to update the maps? I called a dealer, and he didn't have a clue. Said the car was too new for them to know how to do it. Writing the XML file takes just minutes. Can't believe it should take up to 4 hours to update the maps. They SHOULD be up to date when you buy a brand new car.

#34 ·
Ok - I reread the instructions. The XML file just takes info off the Nav system to tell Garmin at what level the Nav system is at. Looks like you are supposed to execute the exe file on your computer which registers you on the garmin site and tells you if there are new updates. If there are new updates, they load them on the USB drive. Basically, the system is telling us the maps are out of date (over a year), but there are no new updates available. First Nav system we've purchased and it looks like it is a mistake.

Thanks for your help.

#36 ·
Your interpretation of the process is correct. Garmin Express is not showing a map update at this time. Garmin claims there will be annual map updates, and five years of updates are free. Don't freak out. Something is probably funky about a file creation date on your system. Dealer should be able to reinstall the software on your unit to get it straightened out. There is an update for the nav software on some trims, but AFAIK no map update.

On other Garmin GPS receivers I have owned, they will nag about map updates because Garmin charges for them ( or used to ). So yeah, you could buy a new unit that has been on the store shelf for a while, and it could immediately nag for an $80 map update. Annoying, at best. Mostly happens with hand-held units these days, not automotive units, because most automotive units come with "lifetime map updates". Still happens with some topo maps on hand-helds, which is comical because those datasets haven't changed in decades. I guess old code dies hard.

#37 ·
Maybe your manual is different this is what my manual says verbatim (cut and pasted from the Manual on CD):

Page 134
Obtaining a Navigation
Update

Honda is continuously updating the
navigation system.

Navigation system software is usually
updated annually.

Please contact your Honda dealer for
further information regarding the update
program available for your vehicle.

Like I said, its a Garmin, I have 128GB USB that's blank all 128 Gig available to it. All I want to do is get the maps up to date with a hand held Garmin to make it some what useable.

Anyone know how to permanently set the Driver distraction setting to off, that will fix the not being able to use it while moving, it just resets whenever the car is turned off.

#38 ·
After looking at this thread, I tried to update map in settings. I have 32 GB FAT32 sandisk USB stick. Pilot Elite NAV says I have to insert a USB stick. I insert the stick and then press Ok. Then nothing happens. Waited and waited for minutes. When I check the USB stick,I do not see anything written.
Seems like if some OEM came up with an alternative to the Honda Pilot's NAV, they can make lot of money

#39 · (Edited)
That's what I was trying to say earlier. I had a 128 GB USB stick, opened it up brand new, inserted it, it wrote the garmin.xml file on it. I later took the usb stick to my PC and Formated it. Ever since I formatted with the PC the Car can no longer recognize the USB properly. I went to staples bought a brand new USB Stick 32 GB (USB2 just to be sure), opened it plugged it in and the Nav System wrote the Garmin file. It seems if you format the USB stick with a PC the Car Nav system will not write to it.

What I really want to do is connect my PC to the car Nav and tweak it all out like I do with all my other Garmin devices. I can program the hell out of it if I can get to the files. I can add POI, and Voices and custom vehicles, I just can't figure out how to get to it. What type of interface cable I need.

I'm thinking of trying one of these USB Bridge cables http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB3LINK-Transfer-Cable-Windows/dp/B00ZR1AD4A/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456668064&sr=8-3-fkmr3&keywords=%E2%80%9Cbridged%E2%80%9D+or+%E2%80%9CUSB+networking+cable%E2%80%9D

#40 ·
Go to owners.honda.com to get a fresh manual. There seem to be some changes relative to the one that came on CD. And follow their link for navigation updates. That seems to be even more fluid than the owner's manual. ( But the link is dead at the moment? )

As far as USB stick format, I'm a Mac/unix/VMS ( in the olden days... ) guy, so I don't have a clue how Windows is washing your stick, but I think the script for "blessing" the USB stick by the head unit is not very robust; it stalls if it finds anything unexpected. GUID partition map, Fat32, single partition, nothing on it. 32Gb just worked for me, but I have also had success with 64Gb. When it works, blessing the thing is instantaneous.

I know of no way to communicate with the Garmin software via the USB port, but if you figure it out, please let us know. It is disappointing not to be able to load waypoints, etc. from a computer.

#41 ·
Some specific instructions regarding the block size. But did not help me
https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={f6af3290-19a5-11e0-7efa-000000000000}

Will try MAC formatting tomorrow and see. What is worse is stupid NAV could atleast complain about the format and print an error message.
It does nothing of that sort. Update map simply returns

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.