Complete Shutdown - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shurguywutt

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Complete Shutdown

Ten days after we purchased a new 2017 Touring, we drove to church, parked got out and went in. About three hours later we came out and the car was completely locked down. The drivers door was unlocked but nothing would respond. Other doors had to be unlocked manually, the car wouldn't crank, there were no lights.

Road side assistance sent someone to jump it off. It couldn't be jumped. The assistant said there was nothing wrong with the battery.

Road side assistance sent a roll-back to pick it up and take it to the dealership. The driver wasn't crazy (and neither was I) about dragging a brand new, locked down, AWD onto the roll-back. The only number I had for the dealership, which was closed, was my salesman. He quickly went into action, calling the sales manager who left the golf course to bring me a new Pilot to drive. I was told not to drag it onto the roll-back but to just leave it and a technician would come out the next morning.

It was picked up Monday morning. Monday evening they called and wanted me to bring our second key fob.

I took the key fob to them on Tuesday morning. At that time the Service Manager told me that he was "completely stumped". Nothing they had tried had corrected the problem and they still had not been able to crank it. Tuesday evening, they called and said they had put a new battery in it and it had cranked and everything appeared to be normal. They were going to leave it over night and check it out on Wednesday morning.

It is now Wednesday morning and I haven't heard from them yet.

I am posting this in case someone else has a similar problem. I will post an update when I get one. If anyone else has had a similar problem I would love to hear from them.

It's All About Jesus
Gary G
<>< °||||°
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE - The dealership just called and said it is ready to be picked up. They said the original battery had a bad cell. They replaced the battery and everything checks out fine.

It's All About Jesus
Gary G
<>< °||||°
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGarland View Post
UPDATE - The dealership just called and said it is ready to be picked up. They said the original battery had a bad cell. They replaced the battery and everything checks out fine.
Glad it was just the battery and nothing major. There are some threads about bad batteries in 2016 Pilots as well.

I know you hate to hear this, but it happens from time to time, even with brand new cars. Could be a number of things: Pilot could have been left in accessory mode after being built, showroom floor model, or simply a bad battery from the manufacturer.

Enjoy your new Pilot...we love ours!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGarland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical808 View Post
Glad it was just the battery and nothing major. There are some threads about bad batteries in 2016 Pilots as well.

I know you hate to hear this, but it happens from time to time, even with brand new cars. Could be a number of things: Pilot could have been left in accessory mode after being built, showroom floor model, or simply a bad battery from the manufacturer.

Enjoy your new Pilot...we love ours!
Yes, and I am sure your road side assistant did not load test your battery and that is why it appeared normal. It was only when you tried to crank your car or put any load on it (the lock actuators), that it would short. Otherwise it would have ~12V.

Respectfully, I am always amazed (not surprised) at how dense service managers and techs can be at times. To isolate a problem like this, the absolute first suspect would be the battery and the absolute first test should be a load test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 LX-VP 2WD J35Z1 119k

"For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." -James 1:20
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical808 View Post
That was it! My 2017 Pilot was a floor model from the day dealer got it with 3 miles in ODO. It stayed in showroom for two months before I bought it. A few days after I got it, it was hit by a car and stayed in a body shop for another two months. The day I got it back from body shop, all warning lights came on after about 15 minutes drive. Dealer checked and said it was the battery. They put a new one in.

2017 EX-L AWD Steel Sapphire w Sensing, Husky Weatherbeater liners, Curt Hitch
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:30 AM

I'm confused why it didn't take the jump? That should've started the car
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxzema View Post
I'm confused why it didn't take the jump? That should've started the car
Modern vehicles require the battery while running to cover over currents and stabilize the electrical systems. If the battery was shorting under load (because of a bad cell) it will not jump start sometimes.

There are many variables that can cause this. Your starter is a HUGE load on your battery. If you are relying on a jump start, your jumper cable wire gauge may not be sufficient for the amperage required for your starter. Battery terminals can also be dirty, corroded, or greased which will increase the resistance and require even greater amperage to overcome. 12 volts is not much to overcome great resistance, that is why starters require hundreds and hundreds of amps to start.

Jump starting works best when the battery is in good condition but just low on charge, this way it can share the load with the battery that is jump starting it. If it has a bad cell(s) it may not be able to produce much amperage at all and this is where the above factors come more into play (jumper wire gauge, terminal condition, etc).
Rocky likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 LX-VP 2WD J35Z1 119k

"For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." -James 1:20

Last edited by shurguywutt; 06-15-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: